Comments

rraud wrote on 1/28/2022, 4:43 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @samuel-mattos.

Sound Forge Audio Studio (AS) does not have a Custom Keyboard shortcut tool like Sound Forge Pro.
However, custom commands can be added manually to the SF keyboard data file.. if the process exists and the code is known. What commands and which keys would you like to use?.
I can check it out when I get around to installing AS-16 to see which are possible. I assume the basic code, data file name and path will be similar to AS-15.

btw, your duplicate topic has been deleted.

samuel-mattos wrote on 1/31/2022, 6:43 AM

The shortcuts I use the most are:

Mute

Normalize

Graphic EQ

Clipped Peak Restoration

Graphic Dynamics

Graphic Fade

Fade IN

Fade OUT

Insert Silence

Volume

Thanks, Samuel Mattos

xman_charl wrote on 1/31/2022, 4:01 PM

shortcuts I use the most are:

event tool

insert silence

fade in/out

rraud wrote on 2/1/2022, 10:20 AM

As I stated, custom keyboard shortcuts cannot be added to Audio Studio without hacking a data file. and btw, hacking the file is not as dangerous as focking around with registry. If there are conflicts, is easy to reinstate the default. Finding unused key combos may be difficult though. Are there specific ksy combos and you wish it use. , most need to Ctrl, Shift, Alt of combo of as a exicute header.
That said, I suspect most on @samuel-mattos' list are possible. I will look into it as time permits.

btw, @xman_charl, if it helps, the "D" key toggles though the edit modes, Normal, Event, Magnify, Pencil in both SF Pro and AS, Otherwise,"Alt+E" is a possible option for the 'Event' mode I think.

samuel-mattos wrote on 2/1/2022, 12:38 PM

ok I'll wait.

rraud wrote on 2/1/2022, 5:38 PM

@samuel-mattos, I cannot find "Clipped Peak Restoration" or "Graphic Dynamics". I do not see these tools in Audio Studio? Key shortcuts for the other commands will work though.
PM sent

samuel-mattos wrote on 2/2/2022, 4:00 AM

Help Help! Start New problem Something happened with Sound Forge 16. Every time I save in MP3 format the software crashes.  What should I do?  Help me please.

rraud wrote on 2/2/2022, 10:07 AM

Please start a new topic for this issue @samuel-mattos.

DGN wrote on 11/12/2023, 5:51 PM

I was just online searching for a way to make custom keyboard shortcuts in Sound Forge Audio Studio 15 when I found this discussion.

Hi rraud,

You've helped me before and I've always been grateful for your help.

The keyboard shortcut that I would very much like to have is one that would allow switching between

(from Preferences / General) space bar play/pause instead of space bar play stop.

maybe Ctrl + p or something else.

I always have to go into Preferences to change this.

(In Preferences it says "space bar and F12 play/pause instead of play/stop"

That's what I check or uncheck to go between the two.

I don't know what the "F12" means. I tried pressing the space bar and F12 to see if it

would make that change but nothing changed.

Any help will be most appreciated.

(And I'm willing to alter the code if there's a simple enough explanation for how to do that.)

rraud wrote on 11/13/2023, 11:31 AM

(In Preferences it says "space bar and F12 play/pause instead of play/stop"
That's what I check or uncheck to go between the two

Hi @DGN F12 is a Function key (usually the top row) however, depending on your PC's setting, it can be necessary to hold down the Function (Fn) key when using F1> F12 keys for certain commands.
I am not sure if this applies to all Win 10 PCs, but on my Win 10 Dell, to toggle the enable / disable double-key behavior, select Fn + Esc.
btw, I made a 'Alt + P' keyboard shortcut to open the "Options> Preferences>" menu and a 'Ctrl-Alt+ P' to open the (relatively new) Plug-in Manager., among others,

DGN wrote on 11/14/2023, 10:09 PM

Hi rraud,

Thank you for responding to my post and so quickly.

I understand the function of the F12 key in Windows 11.

I was just wondering why, in the general preferences area it says

"space bar and F12 play/pause instead of play/stop". I'm not sure what you are supposed to do with the F12. Does that mean to press the space bar and F12 at the same time to switch between the two options, play/pause or play/stop? I tried doing that and it didn't make any change.

What I was hoping for was a quick key shortcut for the function of switching between space bar play/pause and space bar play/stop. I use these two options a lot and every time I want to go from one to the other it requires opening the preferences dialog and checking or unchecking the box.

Is there some way to create a shortcut key for that?

rraud wrote on 11/15/2023, 10:58 AM

It can be a bit confusing @DGN, I will try to explain, Firstly, F12 key is basically an unimportant factor, so forget about it.
The default Play/Stop behavior is using the Spacebar to stop/start playback .. When playback is stopped using the spacebar, the cursor will always return to the original position on timeline. pressing the Spacebar again resumes playback from that original point). In the same default mode, the Enter key is Play/Pause, which suspends playback and puts the cursor to the point you pressed the Enter key. Playback will resume from that point when the Enter key is pressed again.
When the "Spacebar and F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop", is check-marked in the in "Options> Preferences> General" menu, it just reverses the above key functions: The Spacebar becomes Pause/Play and Enter becomes Play/Stop.

DGN wrote on 11/15/2023, 7:21 PM

I really appreciate your ongoing help rraud. Thank you so much.

I just reinstalled Sound Forge Audio Studio 15 after doing a clean install of Windows.

I was very happy to hear about the Enter = Play/Pause option but I just tried using the Enter key to play pause and the cursor went back to the place I had clicked on with my mouse just like the spacebar does. So now I'm wondering if there is a setting that needs to be changed. I always assume operator error so I'm hoping for that. Changing the play pause setting in preferences just causes the Space Bar and Enter to play/pause instead of Play/Stop.

rraud wrote on 11/16/2023, 10:57 AM

@DGN, when you click a position on the timeline with your mouse, playback will resume from that point using either the Spacebar or Enter.

FWIW, you can add custom timeline positions with "Edit> Go to". Markers are very useful as well ("M" key) Clicking Ctrl+ Left or Right (arrow keys) will move the cursor to the previous or next Marker.

DGN wrote on 11/16/2023, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info rraud.

This takes me back now to my initial wish for creating a quick key shortcut to toggle between

play/stop and play/pause.

Do you think there's a way to create this shortcut by doing that?

rraud wrote on 11/16/2023, 6:12 PM

I do not think a sub-menu check-box setting can assigned a shortcut. The closest I can get to it is a shortcut to: "Options> Preferences> General".
Most commands in the regular menus can have a keyboard shortcut created though.