Comments

rraud wrote on 2/14/2021, 12:00 PM

If you cannot 'see' the breaks in the timeline, you cannot expect SF to ID them. You can try the "Find" tool which has a sensitivity setting... at least in SF Pro.

Otherwise just listen and add markers where you desire for an ID point. which can then be used to easily add tracks and/or regions

btw @Ralph-Wegner, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum.

Ralph-Wegner wrote on 2/15/2021, 10:21 AM

Thanks rraud. That is exactly my point. When I look at the waveform, it is absolutely clear where the sound goes quiet as the bars shrink to almost nothing. Yet, SF places the track dividers randomly where there is obviously music as the waves are large. And the tools to move the track dividers and subseuqently split the tracks are much too user unfriendly for me to navigate. I am simply an old guy trying to digitize my old albums, not a sound engineer.

rraud wrote on 2/15/2021, 11:46 AM

Sorry @Ralph-Wegner, I am not very familiar with AS (Audio Studio). Maybe a more current version works better for that task. Maybe an AS user can comment on this.

FWIW, SF Pro has an auto-region tool, but it does not work very good for ID'ing music tracks either. You may have to just do this manually. The breaks are easy to see on the SF timeline for most studio albums.

PATIENT-X wrote on 2/15/2021, 12:08 PM

Hello @Ralph-Wegner

The 'Audacity' package can do this to a point.Open your audio file in Audacity, and then go to Analyze and then Silence Finder. This will plot your track breaks on a new track called the Label Track. 

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 2/15/2021, 12:45 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

rraud wrote on 2/15/2021, 2:42 PM

The "Find" tool in the SF Pro 'Tools' menu works fairly well, when the Find: context menu is set to 'End of silent region' There is a threshold setting to fine tune it as well.
I am not sure if AS has this tool. In any case, it only finds one segment at a time and it still appears easier to visually ID the song breaks.

Ralph-Wegner wrote on 2/15/2021, 3:36 PM

Thanks Patient-X. I have already become pretty good at Audacity; although I tried and given up on their Silence Finder. It was either too sensitive or not enough. I found that it is only useful if perfect, because I can do this manually in about 5 minutes; whch is what it would take to correct even only a few failed appempts - because I would still have to check them all.

PATIENT-X wrote on 2/15/2021, 4:39 PM

In Acid Pro, i would look and listen for silences and just split audio clip at each section on the recording..

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 2/16/2021, 1:01 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard