Copy rights on audio music files in Photostory Deluxe 2021

brian.doreen wrote on 1/31/2021, 3:59 AM

I have been producing some Travel video slide shows with my new Magix Photostory 2021.The current one uploaded to my YouTube channel was marked with a Copyright hit by a us firm naming the track of their clients. The track I have used is called Invincible .ogg.Their track is not called the same. I have challenged the Youtube claim . Can anyone comment of the supplied audio files within the Magix Photostory are completely copyright free please..Kind Regards Brian Wright

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/31/2021, 4:55 AM

@brian.doreen

Oh what a can of worms this is! If you do a forum search on the term "Copyright" you will find any number of threads asking about this.

However, I think you should read this official Magix document. I think the key statement there is this one:

As long as the audio/video material is not used for commercial purposes, you can upload it to YouTube.

So, if your channel has any element of monetisation, you cannot use those Magix-supplied audio/music files.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 1/31/2021, 7:07 AM

@brian.doreen

Hi

To avoid any potential Copyright strikes, Youtube has an extensive audio library that is free to use (though some of the creators may request a credit in the YT comments) - see here.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

brian.doreen wrote on 1/31/2021, 8:49 AM

Many thanks Johnebaker. Yes I had been surprised by the "strike as I have been using Photostory Deluxe 2021 for my latest slide shows mainly for the family .Previous to that I had progressed from Magix Photos on CD & DVD deluxe version 4 and then purchasing Deluxe 2015. without any copyright queries.Thats life.

brian.doreen wrote on 3/3/2021, 11:20 AM

I took on board what everyone above has said and as I have had 30 years in broadcasting studio engineering it rather annoyed me that some outfit representing guys that had challenged one of my soundtracks taken from the Magix software package could be given a Copyright hit without anyone hearing it because the restriction was flagged within one minute of it being available to view on Youtube.

THE GOOD NEWS IS, I CHALLENGED THE COPYRIGHT FROM CD Baby,EXPLAINING IT WAS SUPPLIED BY A VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE AND THEY SHOULD DISCUSS THE COPYRIGHT WITH THEM. I HAD TO WAIT 30 DAY'S AND.ALTHOUGH I DID'NT EXPECT A CLIMBDOWN THE RESTRICTION TODAY HAS BEEN REMOVED. NO EXPLANATION OR CONTACT WITH ME.

David-Robinson5527 wrote on 3/4/2021, 11:14 AM

I had similar problem on Facebook so I changed the music for another one from Photostory and it was accepted. I think there are times the track has a similar name to one with a copyright hence it is blocked. I doubt its a human doing the checks so it will be easy for the similar tracks to get blocked. I know any tracks from Magix cannot be used for commercial use but there are loads of tracks for free on the web which can be used on commercial videos providing there is a correctly worded credit given to the artist.

Bryn-Coan wrote on 2/26/2024, 10:41 PM

@brian.doreen

I have had exactly the same issue with Invincible.ogg. I have 10 videos to upload to Youtube all using the same music. I keep getting Content ID matches the moment I upload. So far I have disputed the Claim 3 times. The first 2 were released but the last one has been upheld. I can appeal it but risk getting a Copyright strike. If you get a copyright strike, you have to go to YouTube copyright school. If you get 3 strikes your channel can be deleted.

The easy answer would be change to the music but I have edited specifically to this track. I shouldn't have to change it for a claimant that doesn't actually own it.

Have you had any more interaction with this issue?

brian.doreen wrote on 2/27/2024, 3:07 AM

@brian.doreen

I have had exactly the same issue with Invincible.ogg. I have 10 videos to upload to Youtube all using the same music. I keep getting Content ID matches the moment I upload. So far I have disputed the Claim 3 times. The first 2 were released but the last one has been upheld. I can appeal it but risk getting a Copyright strike. If you get a copyright strike, you have to go to YouTube copyright school. If you get 3 strikes your channel can be deleted.

The easy answer would be change to the music but I have edited specifically to this track. I shouldn't have to change it for a claimant that doesn't actually own it.

Have you had any more interaction with this issue?

As I reported soon after my post ,I challenged the outfit that had "flagged" my sound track and reffered them to Magix who are the suppliers of the sound track. Although Magix informed me that they would not get involved ,it would appear that the YouYube copyright company backed down and allowed me to use the Invincible.ogg track.I am pleased to say it has remained .

johnebaker wrote on 2/27/2024, 4:41 AM

@brian.doreen

Hi

That is a great outcome.

Did you challenge the 'outfit' directly or through YouTube?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

SP. wrote on 2/27/2024, 5:02 AM

@brian.doreen I would also recommend to always write in the video description which music is used (filename), where it came from (software package), maybe when it is used in the video and who is its the copyright holder. I'm pretty sure that most copyright claims and subsequent steps are handled by bots. The more information they get that the music is a royalty free and non-exclusive track, the easier it might be to fight claims.

brian.doreen wrote on 2/28/2024, 3:09 AM

@brian.doreen

Hi

That is a great outcome.

Did you challenge the 'outfit' directly or through YouTube?

John EB
Forum Moderator

I wrote to the outfit directly CD Baby, ,they did not reply but the copyright ban was lifted after about a week.Its obvious the audio is tracked by complex algorithms and not any human listening initially.