Constant Crashing on New Project

AGS wrote on 3/2/2022, 6:54 PM

Hi,

Win10

Sound Forge Audio Studio 14 v14.0 (Build 90) 64 bit

Got it through Humble Bundle. Installed fine but unable to start a new project as crashing whenever I select 'New' project.

Error message:

Exception 0xC0000005 (access violation) READ:0x0000000000000001 IP:0x000000018039E847
In Module 'AudioStudiok.dll' at Address 0x0000000180000000 + 0x000000000039E847
Thread: GUI ID=0x3270 Stack=

Have tried running as Admin. Disabling UAC. But no change.

Any hints, tips, or suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

AGS

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/3/2022, 8:59 AM

What is the file format you are trying to open.
I am not sure what you mean be 'project'. A non-destructive Sound Forge Audio Studio 'project' must be 'saved as' from a file that is already opened, which creates a <.frg> file and companion 'frg' folder. A previous 'project' from 'SF Pro' cannot be directly opened in 'SF AS'.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @AGS.

AGS wrote on 3/4/2022, 9:00 AM

Hi Rraud,

Really sorry but not sure what you mean (I'm completely green in SF).

That said, I'm not trying to open anything.

After the splash screen, I select File - New and get a 'New Window' pop up asking about sample rates etc.

I don't change anything, just select OK and I get the crash described above.

I'm probably being really dense here, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

AGS wrote on 3/4/2022, 9:15 AM

To add to the above, tried opening some sample WAV files and got the same error.

:-(

rraud wrote on 3/4/2022, 10:27 AM

That explains the issue better @AGS,
assuming the Humble Bundle version is the same as Magix Audio Studio 14 (???), try resetting AS in the 'File' menu: select "Reset and clear cached data". Close and restart Sound Forge
Alternate method: Hold the "Ctrl + Shift" keys whilst launching Sound Forge will exhibit the same dialog.

If that does not remedy the issue, download the latest build from the Magix Download Center and download the latest build will need your log-in info and the SFAS 14 serial number.. then do a repair install (reinstall without uninstalling prior),
If that does not help, uninstall AS using a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall ' that can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which in usually the root of recurring issues then reinstall the latest AS-14 build
Revo Uninstall has pro and freeware versions, the free version is usually adequate in most cases unless 'forced' uninstall is needed which is a pro option.

AGS wrote on 3/4/2022, 2:36 PM

Hi Rraud,

I tried clearing the cache but no joy.

Did a redownload from my Magix account. There was no option to repair so I did a uninstall-reinstall and bingo!

It's all working beautifully.

Many thanks!

rraud wrote on 3/4/2022, 4:17 PM

There is no specific option that 'states' repair, it is a simple reinstall without uninstalling first, which retains user preferences and customizations. Sometimes it fixes an issue, sometimes not, and sometimes it requires a third-party uninstaller/cleaner.
I am glad SF is working again and thanks for the update.