Complete license MESS

magixuc wrote on 4/28/2018, 7:01 PM

(1) This Music Maker page says you cannot monetize your music without buying a license, but this is contradictory with a still public Music Maker JAM blog post stating that you indeed can with a revenue limit of $5000.

(2) The EULA provided when you download Music Maker does authorize commercial use of sounds and loops included (including imported JAM projects, I would assume):

- Music Maker Free is the free basic version of the software including all contents and features...
- Additional features as defined in this agreement are feature enhancements not included in Music Maker Free such as instruments, plug-ins and other features, including all updates
- Contents as defined in this agreement are all media, music files, sounds (except instruments), audio loops and other contents
- Additional Content as defined in this agreement are all contents that aren't included in Music Maker Free

- Then: Music Maker Free and additional features may be used commercially. Additional content may not be used commercially, however commercial use licenses can be purchased separately

(3) This EULA from latest installer is different from the one from website.

(4) Oddly, the EULA from website does seem to have been included in the installer but appended to the end! So the installer contains two contradictory EULAs in same text!

(5) Most importantly, you cannot find the free soundpools available for selling in Catooh, such as Dubstep and Indie Rock from Music Maker JAM, or Feel Good from Music Maker.

Seriously, this is such a bizarre mess, not to mention the software bugs. However even when all these inconsistencies are fixed, I would strongly suggest you to CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL URGENTLY. I believe when people buy software or sounds, they assume they can sell their music, and when they find out they cannot, they feel trapped. That is my case, I created a song I CANNOT DISTRIBUTE TO SPOTIFY BECAUSE I CANNOT MONETIZE EVEN IF I WANT IT! I would not have used Music Maker in the first place if I was aware about this mess, and currently I would not recommend MAGIX sofware.

These are my suggestions to make situation simpler and actually encourage, not refrain people from using your software:

(A) Go for the model presented by that JAM blog post where you can sell songs up to a maximum revenue.

(B) Or, since you are technically co-authors of the songs using your samples, just have the EULA allowing to add MAGIX in the copyright information fields when uploading to distribution services such as OneRPM or iMusician, so that a percentage of the revenue goes automatically to you.

(C) Or at least, either make free soundpools like Feel Good and Indie Rock available for licensing, or clarify in the EULA that the basic sounds can be monetized, as discussed in (2).

(D) In all these cases, eliminate the Catooh purchase duplication.

Hope you listen and improve, thanks.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 5/1/2018, 2:09 PM

@magixuc

I have referred this topic to Magix for clarification from the MMMJAM team.

I have also asked for clarification on the EULA statement

. . . . Music Maker Free and additional features may be used commercially . . . .

for further clarification.

My understanding of this statement is that you can use the program and its additional features, ie functions and instruments, but not the soundpools, in a commercial environment without the need for additional licensing of the program which is a common requirement of many software manufacturers that provide free version of their software for personal use.

John EB

Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/1/2018, 2:25 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

fan-boy wrote on 5/25/2018, 8:37 PM

producerplanet . com is a Magix web site .
your Magix login works there too . the link shows the License Chart .

https://www.producerplanet.com/us/licenses/ 

the above link , shows the License terms , Chart .
when you are on the Buy page , of a music synthesizer , the disclaimer is Commercial ( Unlimited ) also , the email states Commercial ( Unlimited ) , for Magix Music Synthesizers .

a assume that when Magix Sound Loops are bought , that they come with a disclaimer too , but NOT commercial ( unlimited ) .