Color Correction does not work on Pro X5

saop wrote on 12/12/2013, 7:49 PM

I just bought, installed, and updated Pro X5.  When I try and do color correction the program preview window freezes and will not apply the color correction nor will it play.  when I delete or undo the color correction the preview will again play.  Has anyone else seen this issue?  My current version is 12.0.13.0

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 12/14/2013, 10:32 AM

Yes.  I see exactly the same thing!  

I don't think I've ever needed to use the Color Correction on a file so have never noticed the problem before.  However, I did a quick test on some SD footage and got a black screen on "program"; the time ocunter shows the video is still running but nothing is seen though any audio can still be heard.

I think this needs reporting to MAGIX as a bug.  I will do this asap; perhaps you could add your "input".

Jeff

UPDATE: reported to Technical Support.  Will update when any response received.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: Have now received reply from Ralf at MAGIX Support:
I checked, but it doesn't appear to be a general or very prominent problem. I couldn't replicate it here. I have no doubt that is might affect a few users, but it's apparently limited to certain graphics cards or drivers. My recommendation would be the following: Enter the program settings and switch to the "Display options" tab. Enable the "Always use DirectX9" option. This will most likely already do the trick. You could also try to use a different video mode, but I would only recommend straying from the Direct3D mode if forcing DirectX9 doesn't resolve your problem.

Please note that there's also a newer program update now (albeit this will probably not have any bearing on the issue.)

Yes, changing that Display Options setting DOES mean that Color Correction now works properly.  How strange, effectively changing DirectX to an "older" version resolves the problem.  saop, if you're still watching this thread, this is certainly something for you to try.

However, I intend to further ask Ralf about that "program update"; on my system, Help>Update Online tells me no update is available!

Jeff

FINAL UPDATE: Ralf has replied to confirm update not yet released to public.  Apparently it's still undergoing internal beta teting.

Last changed by emmrecs on 12/17/2013, 3:54 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

saop wrote on 12/17/2013, 5:47 PM

Emmrecs, you rock.  That did the trick.  I saw lots of complaints about this very issue with no resolution.  Now it's working for me.  Thanks again.

emmrecs wrote on 12/18/2013, 8:54 AM

Emmrecs, you rock.  That did the trick.  I saw lots of complaints about this very issue with no resolution.  Now it's working for me.  Thanks again.

Glad to help!  And thanks for coming back to update us.

BTW, where did you see "lots of complaints"?  Ralf's answer to me seems to suggest this is quite a rare problem or is at least limited to certain video cards and drivers.  Perhaps it is not so rare.

Last changed by emmrecs on 12/18/2013, 8:54 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

emmrecs wrote on 12/23/2013, 6:21 PM

The change suggested by Ralf, I now discover, has one very serious drawback!  With the setting to "Always Use DirectX9", any DVD/MPEG-2 export has no video, only audio!  Removing the tick on that setting produces an export of audio AND video.

I discovered this when checking a DVD export earlier today; everything played fine on the timeline, the DVD Preview ditto but the exported files, when checked were audio only, no video.

After much head-scratching as to why, I remembered the matter of this thread and wondered whether the change needed to restore the color Correction facility was actually hampering the export.  I removed the tick: export with audio and video; restore the tick: export with audio only!

I will report this to Ralf.  I haven't checked whether the changed setting also affects other export types.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 12/23/2013, 6:21 PM, changed a total of 1 times.