click on file in windows explorer

Thomas-Misuraca wrote on 8/4/2021, 1:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

With Sound forge Pro 14.0 build 138 already open, when I click on a file in Windows Explorer it opens the SF program for a second time. Instead of having 2 files open in one SF, I have 2 SF instances open with one file in each. Any way to click on the file in Win Explorer and have it load the file in the instance currently running?

Dell xps15, 32g ram, 1T ssd, win 10 Education 64 bit.

Thanks

Tom

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 8/4/2021, 2:13 PM

@Thomas-Misuraca

It seems you have set SF Pro 14 as the default for opening whichever type of audio file you are using. In this case, because it is the default there is no method I know of avoiding what you see when you click on a file in Windows Explorer. The usual method of opening a second file in any app (that I am aware of) is to use File>Open and navigate to where the file is saved.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Thomas-Misuraca wrote on 8/4/2021, 2:39 PM

Thanks Jeff. The older versions I've used would open it in the same instance and not open a completely new instance. I had those set as the default, also. Wonder what changed.

rraud wrote on 8/4/2021, 4:14 PM

Hi @Thomas-Misuraca, this is likely the "Multi-instancing default", which was introduced during the Sound Forge Pro 14 publication. You can change it back so subsequent files will open in the same SF instance by going into the (normally hidden) "Internal" menu.
- Launch Sound Forge Pro and select the 'Options' menu
- hold the 'Shift' key and click 'Preferences'
- select the 'Internal' tab
- find "Force Single Instance behavior" (bottom of list as I recall or use search)
- change the value from 'FALSE' to "TRUE"
- click 'Apply' and 'OK'
- Exit and restart SF.

This setting applies to Sound Forge Pro-15 as well.

Thomas-Misuraca wrote on 8/4/2021, 4:34 PM

I changed it to TRUE but the default was grayed out and wouldn't change. The first file opens fine. When I try to open a second file from WE now I get a dialogue box that says "Warning: An error occurred while opening one or more files. The file is an unsupported format." The files I'm trying to open are either wav or mp3 format and will open using file>open.

rraud wrote on 8/4/2021, 5:40 PM

You must double-click the "Value" field and enter 'TRUE' in upper-case charterers; then click on the FALSE default field. This should make the 'Apply' button active. I messed-up the sequence a few times.
IMO, Magix should have left the default as the legacy behavior was prior and multi-Instance as the option. There was no mention of reverting to the legacy 'setting' option either in the build's release notes.

Thomas-Misuraca wrote on 8/5/2021, 7:08 AM

Thanks again. Did what you said and still won't open the files after I open the first one. I'll keep trying, though.

wolric wrote on 11/22/2021, 4:00 AM

The single instance default setting has been changed to FALSE to support problematic file formats that a single instance would not support when using the new context menu features.
If you place less emphasis on editing with context menus, it is recommended that you set the single instance setting to TRUE.

marcos-r1718 wrote on 8/30/2022, 5:39 AM

Hi Everyone,

With Sound forge Pro 14.0 build 138 already open, when I click on a file in Windows Explorer it opens the SF program for a second time. Instead of having 2 files open in one SF, I have 2 SF instances open with one file in each. Any way to click on the file in Win Explorer and have it load the file in the instance currently running?

Dell xps15, 32g ram, 1T ssd, win 10 Education 64 bit.

Thanks

Tom

marcos-r1718 wrote on 8/30/2022, 5:40 AM

IN THIS VIDEO I SHOW YOU HOW TO SOLVE THIS.