Comments

john-auvil wrote on 6/9/2010, 9:04 AM
 What format are you using or was being used.

When you say the video plays fine, do you mean the exported video from Video Pro X (VPX) plays fine outside the program, or do you mean the original content video plays fine outside the VPX?

My initial thought is that a codec used in the creation of this video is not recognized by VPX. 

It could also be the resources available to the program, not necessarily what you have in the system, but that the program is allowed to use.

I think with some information about the file format could help. I think maybe the reason that it plays back outside of the VPX just means that the program playing it back is not reading it in for editing, therefore less resources are needed. 
bwallan wrote on 6/9/2010, 9:19 AM
Interesting. The original content plays fine. The export is still choppy (same as I saw it in the editing).

All the files are .mpg. Should I convert them to something else? Does this program work better with .avi or .mov?

What I'd like to know is (for future reference): what's the optimal size, format, etc needed so the videos aren't choppy? What does the program need to be able to run properly during editing?

I always assumed it was my computer, didn't think the program itself couldn't handle the weight.

So, either I need to know what Magix wants from me so it can run, or if there's another editing software that can handle the weight.

Help is most appreciated!
john-auvil wrote on 6/9/2010, 9:35 AM
I use a camera that captures in AVCHD, which has a format of MTS. This I can load, but they playback choppy.

The program told me there could be issues with the MTS as it is a extremely large format, and that it is recommended to convert it... I did, and it created a .avi format.

I couldn't see a quality issue at all, so I was happy and now the videos playback and I can edit them with no problems.

I do not think the issue is that the video itself has to much weight, I believe that it is the codec used to create the video you are loading is not perfectly compatible with the software, therefore it is doing this internal conversion, and playback, therefore the information is stunted. Now, the interesting part is why this is being effected on the export, to me... that is a resource issue.

I have used the program for a year now, and MTS is the only thing I have the need to convert.

If you have the ability to convert the file you have been loading to .avi see if that helps.

As for size... I have been using 1360 x 768 (16:9) NTSC 29.97FPS