Channel Meters

davbro wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:11 AM

Using SoundForge Audio Studio to record audio from an S/PDIF signal (using an RME RayDAT PCIe card). When I record, the signal waveform shows up in the left & right tracks of the recording window. However I get no activity on the channel meters, either in record or record/pause mode. At the top of the channel meters I see where you can select the source, and I have it set to the same source I am recording from. I know there is signal there because I see it in the waveform as mentioned above. Why can't I get signal to the channel meters?

Comments

SP. wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:18 AM

@davbro Does a restart of your computer help? Please select the Restart option and not the Shut down option.

rraud wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:43 AM

The main timeline meters are pre-hardware "Playback". To view the record input levels, Select "View> Record options". To view the levels prior to "rolling tape", enable 'record ready' "Transport> Arm" or the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+A .
Make your record level adjustments at the source or with your interface/soundcard.

btw @davbro, seasons greetings and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community.

davbro wrote on 12/14/2023, 1:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried to restart but it didn't help. Also the meters don't register on playback or record. The 'Arm' button was what I meant by 'Record/Pause'. I'll look at the record options next time I have a chance (the system in question is 30 minutes away). Thanks again.

davbro wrote on 1/18/2024, 3:53 PM

The main timeline meters are pre-hardware "Playback". To view the record input levels, Select "View> Record options". To view the levels prior to "rolling tape", enable 'record ready' "Transport> Arm" or the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+A .
Make your record level adjustments at the source or with your interface/soundcard.

btw @davbro, seasons greetings and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community.

@rraud, you advice was spot-on. I hadn't had a chance to test anything until today, but the record options were what I needed. Thanks for your help!