Change speed of recorded audio

Frank-Mesander wrote on 7/21/2021, 6:01 AM

Concerns Sound Forge Pro 15.

I recorded a tape that was spinning too slowly at sample rate 48.000. What is the best way in Sound Forge to get it faster (and therefore higher pitch) with a sample rate of 48.000 again in the end? I am looking for the way that is best in terms of sound quality. Re-recording is not an option because I no longer have access to the tape.

Sound Forge functions "Time stretch" and "Pitch shift" do both what I don't want. And using them one after the other does negatively affect the sound quality.

Any suggestions?

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/21/2021, 6:11 AM

@Frank-Mesander Have you tried Process > Time > élastique Timestretch ?

Frank-Mesander wrote on 7/21/2021, 7:00 AM

@SP. Yes but that does pitch shifting and time stretching, too much processing negatively affecting the sound quality. I am looking for something like resampling.

SP. wrote on 7/21/2021, 7:54 AM

@Frank-Mesander I don't think there is something better in SoundForge. I would suggest you look into https://www.celemony.com/en/capstan

Frank-Mesander wrote on 7/21/2021, 8:14 AM

@SP. Thank you. I will also look into Capstan.

Do others have suggestions for my question?

rraud wrote on 7/21/2021, 9:26 AM

Change the sample rate in 'View> File properties" to attain 'normal' playback speed/pitch. Then 'Resample' (in the 'Process' menu) to 44.1 or 48kHz, if it is other than that. Alternately, changing the playback sample rate in the status bar does the same as the 'View> File properties command.
The 'Time Stretch' utilities will compromise quality if more than a small amount of correction is used. The 'elastigue time stretch' can change ether/or pitch and speed. The native 'time stretch' utility maintains original pitch with speed change. Neither is 100% artifact free.

Frank-Mesander wrote on 7/21/2021, 2:53 PM

@rraud Thank you. This solved my problem. I changed the rate to 48.545, and then resampled to 48.000. It now has the right speed and pitch.