Change of Vita Directory: installing Samplitude from scratch?

jan99 wrote on 12/27/2022, 7:49 AM

I'm about to upgrade my old (and very stable) Samplitude Music Studio to the new 2023-version. But at the same time I want to get rid of having my Magix VSTinstruments (obligatory?) installed on my (near full SSD) C-disk (the well known users>public>documents etc. directory).
Moving them to D resulted in an error-message ('cannot open...'). Same thing goes for my Music Maker Premium (2021).
Could it have to do with the Magix Services\MxSynt\Vita\libraries.xml, also on C? Both programs are searching there.

>>> Samplitude is still installed on C:\\, but MusicMaker itself on D:\\

By the way: changing the soundpools-directory to D:\\ was no problem, same for installing most 3d party VSTi's, but Magix Vita Instruments keep on asking for this specific C-disk directory.

Does anyone know how to change the path of Vita-instruments, or how to solve this otherwise?

Comments

SP. wrote on 12/27/2022, 9:15 AM

@jan99 

Move the folder mxsynth to D: Then open a command window and enter

mklink /J "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Magix\Common\Mxsynth" "D:\Mxsynth"

This will create a symbolic link (a junction). The program will not notice the difference whether the folder is located on C or D.

Or use this tool: Hard Link Shell Extension. https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

You can use it without using the command prompt. It is much easier to use.

jan99 wrote on 12/27/2022, 10:54 AM

Tnx for the advice. Unfortunately - until now - it does not give the expected results. I moved the Mxsynth folder to D, made sure it was deleted from C:\\, entered the command window as adviced (copy-paste). The result seemed o.k., and Samplitude did well....because it automatically had put Mxsynth (or a duplicate?) back in C:\\. So it still takes 10+GB from my not-so-big SSD....

GRB wrote on 6/14/2024, 5:38 PM

Tnx for the advice. Unfortunately - until now - it does not give the expected results. I moved the Mxsynth folder to D, made sure it was deleted from C:\\, entered the command window as adviced (copy-paste). The result seemed o.k., and Samplitude did well....because it automatically had put Mxsynth (or a duplicate?) back in C:\\. So it still takes 10+GB from my not-so-big SSD....

Did you ever get this figured out? I have same 10+gigs in Public MxSynth folder and need to save space on my also limited SSD.

Cheers and may the Music Season be 24/7/365 !

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

SP. wrote on 6/14/2024, 5:58 PM

@GRB Use the mklink junction. This should work fine.

I'm not sure what @jan99 meant with that Samplitude put it back on the C drive. A junction makes it looks like a folder is on your C drive while it isn't. It's on D.

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 8:33 AM

@GRB Use the mklink junction. This should work fine.

I'm not sure what @jan99 meant with that Samplitude put it back on the C drive. A junction makes it looks like a folder is on your C drive while it isn't. It's on D.

I can't get it to work, I've tried different command line spelling/caps/spaces/etc.... keep getting this error:

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

SP. wrote on 6/15/2024, 9:13 AM

@GRB mklink is available in the command prompt (cmd.exe), not PowerShell.

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:14 AM

@GRB mklink is available in the command prompt (cmd.exe), not PowerShell.

Ok SP, funny thing happened..... it actually worked at the cmd prompt, lmao! I think I need more coffee! Thank you so much once again!

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:17 AM

Can I modify that cmd line and do the same for "soundpools" and "acid loops" to D drive?

SP. wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:24 AM

@GRB Yes. Simply move the folders to drive D and create the junction on drive C.

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:36 AM

@GRB Yes. Simply move the folders to drive D and create the junction on drive C.

Rock On SP! Thanks again!

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:50 AM

I had issues getting it done also, but have successfully redirected 3 main content folders for Magix from ssd to external drive per SP's help above. Here is a screenshot that may help you do the same. NOTE: I found in experimenting that you have to make sure the file addresses are accurate of course (easy to overlook sometimes), and then also fully remove the original folder before entering the command to redirect. This just saved me like 15gb ! ! ! ! Woohoo!

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:55 AM

SP, if new content (instruments or soundpools) are downloaded, will this need to be repeated each time? Will they auto migrate to external D: or should they be directed to D: somehow upon download? Last I checked, Acid Pro and Music Maker don't allow to change content locations such as these in Settings... that needs to become more easily done for sure.... and a "Move content" options would be FANTASTIC too!

johnebaker wrote on 6/15/2024, 11:59 AM

@GRB

Hi

For Music Maker there is no need for creating 'junction links', which I have found do not work correctly in some Magix programs.

Soundpools will be downloaded and installed in the folder specified in the Program settings, Folders tab

Do note that if using external USB drives they must be connected, and on, before starting the program, otherwise you will get error messages that a drive and folders are not available. Additionally it helps to set the power saving options for the USB ports, and the drive if available, to never turn off when idle.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/15/2024, 11:59 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

SP. wrote on 6/15/2024, 12:19 PM

@GRB The first Magix software you install, will give you the option to select the directory of the Common folder inside the manual installation settings.

This will not work during subsequent installations, the field isn't editable. You first need to uninstall all Magix softwares. You can then edit the settings again, during the re-installation of the first program.

There is also a way to change this in the Windows registry without uninstalling everything. But I don't know if the programs will recognize these changes in the registry.

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 2:44 PM

Thanks John, I did go and change that setting after you mentioned it, so it all seems to work as is for now.

Thanks SP, I'm def not going to do the whole uninstall and reinstall thing again with Magix... been there too many times in past for various issues and support help.

I appreciate the help so much guys, and looks like all is working ok at the moment far as quick tests show.

For now, I'm good ! :)

jan99 wrote on 6/15/2024, 4:20 PM

Hi to all of you,

I posted a reply to the question of GRB this afternoon at about 2PM (or tried to do so), but it seems to have disappeared....
Sorry for that, although the content of my reply would not have been very helpful. In my case the problem solved itself (new PC, much bigger C-disk etc.). Although the organisation of Vita etc. still is a mess, everything works fine (until now...). I am glad GRB has been helped by the others!

GRB wrote on 6/15/2024, 6:45 PM

Hi to all of you,

I posted a reply to the question of GRB this afternoon at about 2PM (or tried to do so), but it seems to have disappeared....
Sorry for that, although the content of my reply would not have been very helpful. In my case the problem solved itself (new PC, much bigger C-disk etc.). Although the organisation of Vita etc. still is a mess, everything works fine (until now...). I am glad GRB has been helped by the others!

Hey thanks. I'm sorry to hear that you new PC worked and solved....until now? Maybe having another go at it will help the new PC with the libraries. If not here, maybe open a ticket a Magix, as I have had great help from both here and with support tickets in past. Heres to hoping you get it all sorted out!

And please do write back here and give updates!

PS Curious, what Magix programs are you using? I change things up over time, but right now I have Music Maker Premium 23/24 and Acid Pro 10 only loaded. I'm hoping that they all get somewhat consolidated in files, libraries, and installations somehow in the future. I have and like many other softwares too, so I'm not super dependent on Magix, but do like them to work without problems (headaches) since I paid, upgraded many times over years, and own them.

jan99 wrote on 6/16/2024, 8:53 AM

Hi GRB. No 'sorry' from your side is needed. My 'until now' statement hereabove only means one never has any guarantee for the future 😉.
My Magix products really are functioning fine for quite a long time now. My new PC (Core i9, 64GB and 3 TB in total of internal SSD's ) surely helps a lot, but Magix products have greatly increased in stability too. So I am what you might call a 'satisfied customer'.
I am mostly using Samplitude Music Studio 2023 (28.0.0.12) and Music Maker 2024 Premium (update from 2023 - 32.1.0.18). Not very active in music production at present, mostly experimenting with and collecting new (free) VST-instruments (the way people used to collect stamps in the past). You can all check it in my profile (and hear results in my playlist). Kind regards, jan99

GRB wrote on 6/20/2024, 12:38 PM

Hi GRB. No 'sorry' from your side is needed. My 'until now' statement hereabove only means one never has any guarantee for the future 😉.
My Magix products really are functioning fine for quite a long time now. My new PC (Core i9, 64GB and 3 TB in total of internal SSD's ) surely helps a lot, but Magix products have greatly increased in stability too. So I am what you might call a 'satisfied customer'.
I am mostly using Samplitude Music Studio 2023 (28.0.0.12) and Music Maker 2024 Premium (update from 2023 - 32.1.0.18). Not very active in music production at present, mostly experimenting with and collecting new (free) VST-instruments (the way people used to collect stamps in the past). You can all check it in my profile (and hear results in my playlist). Kind regards, jan99

Right on, sounds similar to me in the "not so active" in music production at the moment... but still like to play around and discover new things/ideas when timing allows. I had same products as you but just upgraded to SMSX8 and getting ready to upgrade to the new MM2025Premium.... with the super cool new workflow rack feature, new Magix additions, and besides now being able to handle all of my ACID loops format too, etc.... I agree, they seem to be improving stability, updates, and new core features too!

Have Fun!

GRB wrote on 6/20/2024, 1:32 PM

@GRB The first Magix software you install, will give you the option to select the directory of the Common folder inside the manual installation settings.

This will not work during subsequent installations, the field isn't editable. You first need to uninstall all Magix softwares. You can then edit the settings again, during the re-installation of the first program.

There is also a way to change this in the Windows registry without uninstalling everything. But I don't know if the programs will recognize these changes in the registry.

I just wanted to write you and THANK YOU for all of this insight and help....

I have moved, and saved my internal drive, 26+gb with this method so far from Magix content files that default to Public Docs folder.... Wow!

As I get to downloading more of my purchased content from Magix/Producer Planet, it will no doubt come in handy to not fill my drive again....

PS, I came up with a workaround for newly loaded content to avoid directory errors too! I can elaborate for anyone who cares to know how to do it, but I'll save that for now. Its basically setting up temp/mirror folders and doing a little housecleaning style drag and drops to the new redirect folders. Thats the basic version.

GRB wrote on 6/20/2024, 1:38 PM

I thought the same, but I found that its actually reading the content size from the external redirect... not actually parked on internal after the above steps taken to redirect.... Its confusing at first glance, but I figured it out when I pulled up both locations in two File Explorer windows side by side, compared things, and when confident that I had them in External, I went to delete what I thought was the new copies on Internal... but it deletes both (as one)... mirrored... so its an "illusion" of the redirect. If you look at your Internal drive free space before and after the Redirect link method, you will see it drop the proper file size amount even thought it looks like its still there in the Redirect Folders on Internal..... If that makes any sense, lol