Cant' get the Midi to fully connect with software

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 10:13 AM

I plug in my midi and (normally) I can play the midi while my song is paused and hear the notes as I physically play them. I would also be able to hit a note in the midi editor and hear that too. Today I plugged in the midi and saw the midi icon (shown in the picture) turn blue when I pressed a key, however, I did not hear anything. I could play my song and hear that just fine, but not the midi (when my song was paused or when it was playing). Also, I was unable to hear the keys I pressed in the midi editor. Is there something in the settings that I need to change? Someone once helped me with this by saying "You must select an ASIO driver in the program settings to hear MIDI notes while playing them with your keyboard". That solved the problem last time, but this time it's telling me "ASIO playback was not activated because no ASIO device has been selected. An alternative audio driver has been activated". I did just install an update to the software which (I think) is why this is happening. Does anyone know what I should do?

Comments

SP. wrote on 12/21/2023, 10:45 AM

@JobyJob-Mo Usually, the settings look like the following:

In the Music Maker program settings go to the Audio/MIDI tab and select an ASIO driver, for example Music Maker ASIO. Click on the Advanced button to open the driver settings. Select your audio input and audio output and set the buffer size to something reasonable like 512 samples.

If this doesn't help try restarting your computer. Please select the Restart option and not the Shut down option. Then try to select the ASIO driver again.

Does this solve your problem?

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 11:24 AM

I just tried all of that, but the same thing is still happening. However, this might be helpful info. After I went to ASIO driver and selected Music Maker ASIO, it didn't let me click the Advanced button or at least it didn't open. Another thing is under Audio Buffer, the buffer number only goes up to 9. So when I clicked ok, the same text appeared again, "ASIO playback was not activated because no ASIO device has been selected. An alternative audio driver has been activated"

SP. wrote on 12/21/2023, 12:51 PM

@JobyJob-Mo The ASIO buffer settings are inside the ASIO driver settings (which you cannot open), not on the Audio/MIDI tab.

Maybe it has something to do with your playback devices? Don't use devices like Bluetooth headsets or speakers or HDMI audio. Better go into your Windows Sound settings (right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right side of your Windows taskbar and then left click on Sounds), and select the normal loudspeakers as standard playback device there under the Playback tab. Close Music Maker before you do this.

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 4:25 PM

Thanks. I checked all of that and still nothing's changed. I understand that I could be overlooking something in the settings. Does it all come down to the Audio/MIDI tab? The first pic is what it looks like now, and the second pic is what it used to look like (when it worked)

SP. wrote on 12/21/2023, 5:05 PM

@JobyJob-Mo Can you show us a screenshot of your Windows sound settings Playback tab?

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 5:08 PM

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 5:09 PM

Is this what you're talking about?

SP. wrote on 12/21/2023, 5:16 PM

@JobyJob-Mo Yes, thank you very much. So, this looks normal, like it should. Please make a right click on your Speakers/Headphones and open the properties. You can change the sample rate under the Advanced tab. This should be identical to the sample rate of your Music Maker project settings. There are also two checkboxes to allow applications to control the settings. Please try to check these boxes. Does Music Maker now allow to change the driver to Magix Low Latency or Music Maker ASIO or another ASIO driver like ASIO4ALL?

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 5:59 PM

Okay. I did that, but sadly it's still not working. That is... if I'm doing it right.

SP. wrote on 12/21/2023, 6:13 PM

@JobyJob-Mo Ok, you can still try to reset the program settings under the File > Settings menu. This will reset the program like it was installed completely new.

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 7:08 PM

I will try that! thank you!

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/21/2023, 9:31 PM

Okay, so I did that too and nothing has changed.😬

SP. wrote on 12/21/2023, 10:20 PM

@JobyJob-Mo Do you have other ASIO drivers available other than Magix Low Latency? Music Maker ASIO? You can install the free demo version of FL Studio which will also install the FL Studio ASIO driver. Maybe this driver can be selected.

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2023, 4:38 AM

@JobyJob-Mo

Hi

The image of your Sound settings playback devices does not look right to me for a Realtek onboard chipset driver.

The image below shows my laptop Realtek chipset Sound settings has 2 Realtek playback devices as does my PC:

and in Music Maker these are my ASIO and the Advanced settings which work for me:

What is the make/model and specification of your computer system including Windows version and program version, see this topic for what is required and please quote processor and graphics card make/model in full, and also what monitor/screen resolution(s) you are working with if this is a laptop.

I would suggest you put this information in your profile signature so we do not have to keep asking for it.

Can you also post a screenshot of the recording devices tab in the sound settings.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/22/2023, 4:41 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/22/2023, 9:24 AM

Thank you! I think my laptop meets all the requirements as it has been working fine all year with the software.

Device name    DESKTOP-S7H2CJ0
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.70 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Device ID    Removed by Moderator
Product ID    Removed by Moderator
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

emmrecs wrote on 12/22/2023, 9:33 AM

@JobyJob-Mo

I have removed data from your latest post since you have included information which could potentially be used to hijack your machine.

I also agree with what @johnebaker wrote; that list of available Playback items is far shorter than would normally be expected.

In your earlier screenshot of your current MM Audio/MIDI tab settings, what do you see if you click on the ASIO radio button?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/22/2023, 9:36 AM

@JobyJob-Mo Do you have other ASIO drivers available other than Magix Low Latency? Music Maker ASIO? You can install the free demo version of FL Studio which will also install the FL Studio ASIO driver. Maybe this driver can be selected.

This actually worked! Thank you! Is there a way I can uninstall the Fl program, while keeping the ASIO reference? If not, then that's okay

SP. wrote on 12/22/2023, 10:01 AM

@JobyJob-Mo The FL Studio ASIO driver has it's own, separate uninstaller. It should stay on your computer if you uninstall FL Studio.

JobyJob-Mo wrote on 12/22/2023, 2:34 PM

Thank you so much for hanging in there with me. Y'all are the best!