Cannot copy and paste MIDI in inline notes mode

Philip-Johnson wrote on 10/18/2021, 6:52 PM

Hello All,

I have Sony ACID 8.0. I have a MIDI that represents the drums for my track. I had a sequence where a high-hat, snare, and kick drum are triggered at the same time, let's say at 6.1. I want to copy that exact sequence and paste it onto 6.2, 6.3, and 6.4 in the inline MIDI edit mode. When I press paste, after selecting and copying the three notes using the Selection Tool, nothing happens on the timeline at all. I have moved the cursor to 6.2, I have copied the note sequence I want pasted onto 6.2, I press paste - nothing happens

Comments

Philip-Johnson wrote on 10/19/2021, 11:19 AM

I found a workaround - using the time selection tool seems to be pretty good to achieve what I want. For what it's worth, I started a new project, drew a 3 note chord in midi, used the normal "drag" selection tool and pasted, and it worked fine. But then I go back to my project with the full beatmapped MIDI and no dice. I don't know what the source of the problem is, really, but I know the time selection tool is fine to achieve what I want.

One caveat that sucks a lot so I will still leave this open - now if I edit the now-pasted-several-times set of notes - it edits ALL OCCURENCES of that note sequence, as opposed to just the one I'm editing. Obnoxious indeed. Wondering am I missing something here.

Philip-Johnson wrote on 10/19/2021, 6:37 PM

Another SORT OF workaround - if you go to clip properties on the specific mid sequence the copy-and-paste works fine there. The issue is playback/when you hit play on the Clip Properties page, it plays back only the midi track, isolated - so I cannot copy and paste my drum stuff and then listen to it "altogether" without exiting clip properties, playback, re-enter clip properties. Exceedingly obnoxious.

Investigating alternative DAWs - copy and paste should not be something I spend 2+ days figuring out how to do, I figure. Too late to refund ACID (I've been using it for years) - but I will report back here on DAWs that allow you to copy and paste a 3-note midi sequence (or any midi sequence...) with no strings attached as I do more investigation - basically leave a trail for those folks who might look this up on the Internet and need a solution for the same problem I have.

LooneyBinJim wrote on 10/20/2021, 5:43 PM

Another SORT OF workaround - if you go to clip properties on the specific mid sequence the copy-and-paste works fine there. The issue is playback/when you hit play on the Clip Properties page, it plays back only the midi track, isolated - so I cannot copy and paste my drum stuff and then listen to it "altogether" without exiting clip properties, playback, re-enter clip properties. Exceedingly obnoxious.

Investigating alternative DAWs - copy and paste should not be something I spend 2+ days figuring out how to do, I figure. Too late to refund ACID (I've been using it for years) - but I will report back here on DAWs that allow you to copy and paste a 3-note midi sequence (or any midi sequence...) with no strings attached as I do more investigation - basically leave a trail for those folks who might look this up on the Internet and need a solution for the same problem I have.

I understand how something that should be and can be (sometimes).I've had the same problem i got round it by changing the recorded midi clip to a looped midi clip.Then it will copy over and over as you wish.

This can found by right clicking the clip ,menu, event clip (ie midi clip 1) , rename ,colour, loop.

select loop .Your clip wil be a looped and can be handled as if its a audio ...

Does this help?

Its been a long day and i hope this makes some sence,.Let me know i can screen shot etc if you need it....

sheppo wrote on 10/25/2021, 3:11 AM

does enabling inline editing of midi clips work?

LooneyBinJim wrote on 10/25/2021, 2:40 PM

does enabling inline editing of midi clips work?

Good idea never fault of that one

sheppo wrote on 10/26/2021, 6:49 AM

I totally missed that @Philip-Johnson specifically mentioned inline editing. my bad. Just to explain the differences in the context of this post..

When not in inline edit mode

• you cannot copy notes from the piano roll, (or drums in this instance) to the timeline. That's because the timeline does not contain midi notes, but rather midi clips.
  • equally, you cannot copy midi clips in to a clip, because midi clips contain notes, not clips.

When in inline edit mode

• this works, at least it does in AP10.
    • create a new midi track
    • draw out a new midi clip
    • draw notes directly in to the new clip
    • copy the notes
    • paste the notes elsewhere on the timeline
      • If you choose to paste this in to a section of the timeline that has no clip Acid will create a new clip and paste the notes in to it
      • If you choose to paste this in to a section of the timeline that has a clip it will paste in to the clip - affecting all instances of that clip

The other point is around midi clips, and the best way to use them. You could create a single clip for each track in your song. And edit notes within that clip, copy and pasting as you edit. That works just fine.

However, your song is likely made up of components of a track. A 4 bar drum loop, for example. Create a midi clip for the main loop, fills, breaks, and use those as building blocks to create your song. If you want to change your drum loop you just edit it in one of the clips and it affects the whole song. Using event colors, markers, regions, and even sections is a great way to organise your song as your build it up. There's a good chapter in the in app entitled "Using Clips with Tracks" - both audio and midi, which might explain it better than I have here. The "Using Sections" is also good if you want a visual example of how to lay out a song and work with clips.