Can't Record Input Audio and Listen to Output Simultaneously

daniel-t wrote on 7/18/2020, 5:27 PM

I'm really sorry in advance. I fear this is a super simple issue, but I'm really new to this. I've been trying to follow tutorials to allow me to record my voice through my Blue Snowball mic. I've downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver, and followed the settings according to tutorials and although the microphone does work, whenever I record audio by setting the Audio playback (under Audio/MIDI > Advanced...) to "Blue Snowball" it cancels all playback through my headphones or speakers, etc..

I need to then go into [Options > Audio/MIDI > Audio Playback > Advanced] once I've recorded any vocals to set it BACK to the correct audio output. I'm obviously doing something tremendously wrong, but if I can only set up one audio device at a time I don't see a novice way around it?

To clarify: Audio playback works when set to my headphones or speakers, and input works when set to my microphone. The issue is I can't seem to do them together. I don't want to have to keep changing them any time I record or change vocals. I'd also like to be able to hear my voice in real-time allowing for speedier edits I'm sure.

Comments

daniel-t wrote on 7/18/2020, 5:33 PM

So I've maybe learned that as my microphone doesn't have a headphone jack this isn't possible at all?

emmrecs wrote on 7/19/2020, 4:32 AM

@daniel-t

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

The fact that the USB mic you are using does not include a headphone socket (as some models in the Blue Yeti range do) is most certainly a limiting factor in your situation.

However, since you have ASIO4All, have you tried opening the Advanced tab and attempted to set the options there to have your mic as the designated input but your speakers/headphones as the output? This is one of the main reasons for using ASIO4All since it can allow such settings, which a "standard" ASIO driver does not since it requires that input and output be the "same". (Please notice I did say "can", not "will"; it is a little bit "hit and miss" whether it actually works on a particular computer!)

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 7/19/2020, 12:17 PM

@daniel-t, @emmrecs

'Hear as you record' works using the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver in MMM 2021, and 2020, with a mini jack mic with the following settings and recording on track 2, track 1 appears to default to a MIDI track, it does record however I cannot hear the recording 'live'.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/19/2020, 12:19 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.