Can't open sound forge

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/11/2024, 2:41 AM

I have an older version of; Sound Forge Pro 13 for PC. It has worked fine for several years. (Though I wonder why I still have to register online, every time I open the software) I am now getting a message, "cannot establish an internet connection?" I'm posting this online, so obviously I have one;~) Has anyone been confronted with this?... very frustrating for me... I have new music to master... Thanks much for your input! Jim

Image removed by Moderator

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 4/11/2024, 2:57 AM

@Jim-Goodman

Hi

I have removed the image from your post - it is showing your product serial number.

This is a public forum, when posting images please ensure that persoanl information such as serial numbers, email address, etc are obscured and never post such information in the text of the post.

Check the Internet settings shown below are turned on:

and

and that your Antivirus/Firewall are not blocking the program from accessing the Internet, how you do this will depends on the antivirus program you have installed.

John EB
Forum Moderaotr

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/11/2024, 5:20 AM

Thanks for your help John. I've been fumbling with this for a few hours now. I don't see those properties you're referring to. I uninstalled, reinstalled, reset settings... My internet connection is working fine. Norton is the antivirus... but it has been for a year... and it worked fined until today... Any thoughts are welcome sir. This old analog dog is tired and frustrated.

*This all started when I purchased SF Pro for my new Mac... which was great until the Catalina update in 2020;~) Nothing worked, so Magix traded me a PC license. (for my laptop) I had this issue moving to the Philippines in 2021... (I see my last comment) I reinstalled and no more problems until today. *Does SF pro work with a Mac again yet?

emmrecs wrote on 4/11/2024, 9:15 AM

@Jim-Goodman

Does SF pro work with a Mac again yet?

No, sorry it doesn't. And my understanding is that Magix have no plans to create a Mac version.

To find the options which John showed you, go to the Search box (bottom left corner of your desktop) and type Internet Options. On the screen that opens choose the Advanced tab, scroll down and you will see those settings. Make sure yours are exactly the same as those John shows.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/11/2024, 8:05 PM

Thanks Jeff, nice of you both to offer assistance. I'll give it all a 2nd look... If no luck, I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling again. Frustrating part is I'm a creative, 72.5 yr old analog musician... who doesn't read directions well;~) Thanks for trying to help;~)

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/11/2024, 8:42 PM

OK, I found the settings you referred to; and the http section was not checked. They now match your samples; I restarted my HP Envy laptop, but alas, the same SF "no connection" message. Thanks anyway for trying... I suppose I'll do the uninstall/reinstall process again. I do appreciate any other suggestions;~) 

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/11/2024, 9:33 PM

Well the uninstall/reinstall did not help. Same message: "cannot establish an internet connection?" Any help is welcome. I produce backing tracks all day, and cannot master them right now;~) I don't see an option to email Magix CS..? Maybe they would offer assistance with a new download? or upgrade discount? Any help is appreciated.

emmrecs wrote on 4/12/2024, 3:42 AM

@Jim-Goodman

Clearly your version of SF is now rather old but you could try contacting Support via the Support header at the top of any forum page.

Make sure you choose Audio on the first page you see, then Sound Forge Pro. On the next page that opens scroll right to the bottom and choose the option to Contact Support. Then fully complete each subsequent page.

It is a bit of a faff but worth it! You should receive and (almost) immediate acknowledgement with a ticket number, which you can then further reply to if you wish.

HTH

By the way, I'm also nearly 73, a retired school music teacher, so I understand what you are saying!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 4/12/2024, 10:38 AM

Try resetting Sound Forge and clearing the cache. 'File> "Reset all preferences and clear cached data".

If resetting does not help, uninstall SF using a third-party uninstaller and then reinstall. Revo Uninstall is highly regarded and can uninstall and remove the left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the default uninstall leaves behind, which can cause problems to reoccur..
Revo Uninstall has pro and freeware versions. The free version is adequate in most cases.

Legacy versions of Sound Forge usually work w/o issue on Win 10.

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/12/2024, 9:07 PM

Thanks... I'll look in to the Revo uninstaller... that sounds like a possibility... Not sure how to reset preferences and clear cache, if I can't open the program... but I'll take a look. I appreciate your time and input.

rraud wrote on 4/13/2024, 4:59 PM

If you want to reset Sound Forge but can not open it to access the 'File' menu, hold down the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys whilst launching SF, which will open the reset/clear cache utility.

Jim-Goodman wrote on 4/14/2024, 10:24 PM

Well I used Revo uninstaller (twice) to remove all files... and reinstalled (twice)... Alas the same message (not able to establish connection) Something is corrupted here. (and I don't mean DC;~) (Just trying to laugh a little as I go crazy) I haven't heard back from my email to Magix support either... I'll try again... It seems to me, I'm going to have to get another activation code or such. As always, comments are welcome. Thanks, Jim