Can't convert 8k.wav audio to RAW with the latest Sound Forge

Warren-Weagant wrote on 3/16/2021, 3:47 AM

Dear Magix & Sound Forge:

I have purchased many copies of Samplitude and Sound Forge over the years.

Problem:  When we purchased this copy of Sound Forge 12 and placed it on a Windows 10 computer it would not do one thing, and we never used it again!  It's been over two years now and the software does not function as our older version #11 on a Windows 7 PC.

We have a client that needs us to provide them with:  RAW files!   We could not get help after buying Sound Forge 12 from Magix or anyone.   I am trying again to get help.

First, we use Samplitude to record professional audio.  Then we bounce the audio files to:  8k.wave.

Then, we open Sound Forge to complete the job.  We edit, place an ID# on each audio message and save as RAW.

It never has worked for Sound Forge 12 on the Windows 10 computer.

Can anyone help us?  Or, do we need to look for an old Sound Forge #11 and buy a Windows 7 computer?

Thank you for any efforts you can make to help us out.  Below, please see what the screen shows when converting to 8k.wav and later, when converting to RAW for our client.

Thank you so much,

Warren Weagant

warren@cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
(hidden by moderator) This is a public forum. Do not post personal info

SOUND FORGE 11.0 Software Settings
Converting from .wav to .RAW format files:   

First, convert standard .wav files to: 8K.wav:

File type:   wave (Microsoft)

Audio Format:   uncompressed

Audio Sample Rate:   8000

Audio Bit Rate:   128 Kbps

Audio Bit Depth:   16 Bit

Audio Channels:   1 (Mono)

Converting 8k.wav to RAW:

Save as type:   Raw Audio (.raw)

Template:   Default Template

Description:
Using sample rate and channels form Source Audio.
Using other settings from Raw Reader
Audio 8000 Hz.  16 Bit.  Mono.  PCM.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/16/2021, 4:39 AM

@Warren-Weagant 

It never has worked for Sound Forge 12 on the Windows 10 computer.

Hello. What hasn't worked? SF 12 doesn't save the file?

rraud wrote on 3/16/2021, 10:07 AM

SF-12 (Pro and AS) should work just fine in Win 7> 10. Have you tried installing the 32 bit version of SF-12. Most versions of Sound Forge Pro can open RAW files, but not save then directly.

That said, render (Save as) the file in question as a mono PCM, in the sample rate and bit depth you desire. Then change the <.wav> extension to <.raw>.. Done
PCM audio does not need any specific codec to open . The audio data is the same in both. The only difference is the metadata which RAW usually does not have or ignores. Otherwise you could transcode with an online converter. Audacity may be able to render a RAW file.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Warren-Weagant.

Warren-Weagant wrote on 3/17/2021, 3:00 AM

Thank you rraud... we'll try re-installing at 32 bit. I really appreciate your possible work-arounds for trying to use SP-12. I'm now considering buying an old version of Sound Forge 11 and attempting to use it on the new Windows 10 computer. I'm now wondering if you rraud or anyone personally created .raw files for clients with SF-12? On our old computer operating with Windows 7 and using SF-11 we can create the correct .raw files. Also, sending a .raw file to a client and asking them to "transcode with an online converter" because we could not professionally provide correct format .raw is much to ask. Does anyone (or the folks at Magix) have any personal experience actually providing .raw PCM to clients successfuplly with Sound Forge 12 ? Again, thanks to rraud for trying to help us out! Warren

rraud wrote on 3/17/2021, 12:37 PM

@Warren-Weagant, I must have missed something.. the versioans of Sound Forge Pro I checked, Pro 10 though 15, all have the "Raw Audio" <.raw> save (and open). SF Audio Studio may not have it though.

FWIW, if I was going to buy a legacy version of SFP, I would choose SF Pro 10. In Pro 11, SCS (Sony), made some bone-headed changes, and most remain in subsequent versions. Primarily to the 'record' and 'plug-in chainer'.
If you do purchase a previously registered version, make sure the seller gives you the serial code and associated email address or un-registers or re-registers it to you. SF-10 also included the iZotope (Direct X) 'Mastering Suite II'. Get that serial and email address as well. I think the legacy Sony NR-2.0 noise reduction suite installs by default and needs no separate activation. I am not sure about the also included CD Architect... recommend if you need to author and burn Red Book CDs. Pro 10 runs w/o issue on 64 bit Win 10 PCs, though some folks (including myself) having an 'elevated privilege' issue, which requires changing SF to 'run as administrator' (a minor annoyance), or a registry tweak (which may need to be repeated every now and then).