Can't complete install of Soundforge Audio Studio 15

KDeBoer wrote on 4/3/2021, 10:34 AM

I tried to install to desktop, not realizing there would be dozens of files dumped onto the desktop. I deleted those off the desktop and couldn't get anything to work after that. Tried unistalling so I could re-install, but there is no Soundforge Audio Studio15 in my list of programs, only my current program of Audio Studio 12.5 (which I want to keep), so I am stumped. Am I missing something?

Also, I want to make sure I am able to keep my 12.5 version in case I have problems with learning the new 15 version. Am I able to keep both?

I have Windows 10 and the serial number for the new purchase is Removed by Moderator

Thank you.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 4/3/2021, 11:00 AM

@KDeBoer

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums, so not a contact for any Magix staff.

First, please do not post here any confidential data, like your serial number, since this is a public forum and if you reveal that number you risk your account being hijacked and your software being rendered unusable. Hence, I have edited your post to remove it.

Next, you should never attempt to install any app to the Desktop of your computer because there is every chance that a future Windows Update could render that app unusable.

When you deleted those desktop files you created the problem you now have, unfortunately! You need to follow this procedure to first, ensure that everything connected with SFAS 15 is removed, before attempting the reinstall of it. You will need to check carefully that nothing connected with SFAS 12 is also removed!

1. Download and install the free Revo Uninstaller.
  2. Run it and point its Forced Uninstall routine to SFAS 15.
  3. Once the initial uninstall is complete, allow Revo to run its Advanced Scan. Check carefully everything it lists as needing to be removed, especially for anything which is part of SFAS 12.
  4. Once completed, reboot your computer.
  5. Attempt the reinstall of SFAS 15, ensuring it goes to its default location, C:\Program Files\ ... for the 64 bit version, or C:\Program Files (x86) for the 32 bit version.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 4/3/2021, 11:18 AM

btw, Revo Uninstall''s 'forced' mode is not available on the freeware version. I do not know if it can be used on the pro demo.

As @emmrecs stated. never.. ever, ever, install anything directly to the desktop. Most applications (including Sound Forge) have an option to add a single shortcut to the desktop and/or the start menu or place a shortcut there by default.

emmrecs wrote on 4/3/2021, 11:24 AM

@rraud

Hi Rick.

I did wonder whether that Forced Uninstall mode was available on the free version. I guess having the Pro version has somewhat "spoiled" me; it's a very long time since I used the free version! I wonder if @KDeBoer ought to be recommended to buy the Pro version, given the circumstances she is in?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 4/3/2021, 12:53 PM

Hi Jeff, Revo Pro is relativity affordable, but that is a @Karen-DeBoer decision. SF could also be reinstalled back to the original installation place (desktop I assume,) and then use the free Revo version to uninstall and scan for leftover data in Revo's advanced mode.
In lieu reinstall/uninstall, delete as much of the Magix/SF data that can be found in the Program files and AppData, and then use the OS System Restore to roll back to a prior to SF registry point. Then reinstall SF to the default Program files. If there is another Magix app, shared data could be lost as well. Either way, I would also recommend cleaning the system and registry with CCleaner afterwards

btw, I do not recall ever having to use the Revo forced uninstall mode,

KDeBoer wrote on 4/3/2021, 1:31 PM

Sorry about this--I thought this was going to a tech support for Magix, or I wouldn't have posted the serial number here. I purchased an upgrade, so this was not free, for what it's worth. Appreciate the advise about saving to desktop!