Can't adjust sound levels when recording!

kmor22 wrote on 8/31/2009, 8:37 AM
Hi there,

I've just upgraded from audio lab 10 to 15 as now have vista. When I plug in to my lime in connection from my stereo to record from minidisc the recording level is always too high. When I go to reduce the levels it is always on the lowest setting so I can't reduce it! it's really starting to annoy me now. Any Ideas what the problem is? I'm using the excact same set up as I did with audio 10, recording same level of music from stereo but it's not working. Thanks in advance

Kenny

Comments

siglersmalz wrote on 8/31/2009, 11:13 PM
Vista uses a different audio infrastructure than XP, so you might be getting bit by that.  First, are you adjusting the audio from within Windows Vista, or just Magix?

I use Vista and it is really confusing.  It seems like there are at least three different audio configuration interfaces, and they seem to be independant.

My PC is an HP, so in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, there is an orange speaker icon (Realtek).  When I double-click, I get one interface for settings.

Also, down there in the lower right-hand corner is a white speaker icon (Windows Mixer).  When I double-click and choose "mixer" I get a mixer interface that I have never understood.

I don't use Audio Cleaning Lab, so I don't know what Magix product it is a subset of, but I use Music Maker and MP3 Maker; both will take you to a third and completely different volume setting interface.

In both Music Maker and MP3 Maker, you click the red "record" button to open the recording dialogue.  Once there, in Music Maker, you choose "Volume Mix" while in MP3 Maker, you choose "Sound card mixer".  Both open a "Sound" interface with volume settings.  Hopefully, Audio Cleaning Lab is a subset of one of those products, so you can get there.

Lastly, if all else fails, double check to ensure your version of Audio Cleaning Lab supports Vista.

Good luck!
ralftaro wrote on 9/1/2009, 3:31 AM
Another important point: What socket on your computer are you connecting to? What exactly is the name one it? How is it color-coded?

kmor22 wrote on 9/1/2009, 5:12 AM
Thanks for your help, The socket i'm connecting to is coloured red but has a micro phone sign next to it. Is this correct? My last laptop it was a line in socket but this lap top doesn't have one, it's a sony vaio vgn-nr10e/s.

Thanks

Kenny