Can not trim or delete portions of audio

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/13/2024, 3:11 PM

I wanted yo cut or delete a bit of audio in a project, but it seems that function is not available. I thought it was.

Right clicking on the audio brings up a big menu, but nowhere on it is "trim" or "cut" or anything like that. The only thing is "delete object", which I do not want.
I then tried selecting "edit outside Movie Studio" and that brought me to a non-working program "Music Studio". That is a terrible program, one can't select what one wants to trim. Everything works opposite of how it should. I do not and never will understand that program.
I then went to Audicity (a program I have understanding of), but I could not open the wav file in it because I could not find and point to it. The directory simply doesn't come up.

So how do I trim or cut or delete portions of audio in a project? I think it was mentioned someplace in another thread, but I can't find it and I likely did not understand it anyway.

Comments

Gid wrote on 7/13/2024, 3:28 PM

So how do I trim or cut or delete portions of audio in a project? I think it was mentioned someplace in another thread, but I can't find it and I likely did not understand it anyway.

@Eric-Elliott Keyboard Z,T & U or from the button at the bottom of the preview window that says Split

I mentioned it here https://www.magix.info/us/forum/how-do-i-redo-an-audio-track-in-movie-studio-2024-platinum--1339496/#ca1941552

& here https://www.magix.info/us/forum/linking-videos-or-projects-question--1339738/?page=3#ca1942183

& here https://www.magix.info/us/forum/where-did-my-audio-go--1339300/#ca1939804

Last changed by Gid on 7/13/2024, 3:36 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/13/2024, 10:16 PM

Ah, I knew it was here someplace, but it requires another 3 weeks of study and kind of want to get something going. That button at the bottom of the preview window does nothing. it is "split" only. I don't want to split, I want to cut of dead air at the beginning of a audio track or whatever its called. There is no way to highlight the portion I want to cut either. All I can do is "move" it, which is opposite what I want.

I don't want to try the keyboard shortcut because it might so something I do not want.

I may just have to redo the whole thing, which is fine, that may be lots easier.

I'm just trying to fix this one little thing, then I want to make a few trial videos or whatever they are called to practice merging movies with each other or projects or whatever. I can't speak the language so I need to call things I see in front of me.

AAProds wrote on 7/13/2024, 11:58 PM

@Eric-Elliott

There is no way to highlight the portion I want to cut either.

Of course there is; treat it the same as removing a bit of a video object. Split the audio object at the desired point, then click the bit on the end you don't want and hit Delete, like this:

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

VPX 12

AAProds wrote on 7/14/2024, 3:53 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Eric, more on trimming (and untrimming!). Apologies for the mumbling!

Last changed by AAProds on 7/14/2024, 3:54 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/14/2024, 10:37 AM

@Eric-Elliott

There is no way to highlight the portion I want to cut either.

Of course there is; treat it the same as removing a bit of a video object. Split the audio object at the desired point, then click the bit on the end you don't want and hit Delete, like this:

Thank You AAProds. I did not know about the right-click on that button to bring up the additional functions. It is like multi-function knobs, I hate those!

Now I understand why I actually want to split to delete something in this case. That said though, I do not trust my mouse skills to move the audio to where it needs to be (the start in this case) and have it still in sync and ok. Therefore, the easier and maybe less time consuming option in this case is to re-do the audio completely.

Had it been an end piece I wanted to trim or delete, that concern would not be there, but because it is at the start and this is not Audacity, I do not trust it or myself to get it right.

Gid wrote on 7/14/2024, 10:52 AM

Had it been an end piece I wanted to trim or delete, that concern would not be there, but because it is at the start and this is not Audacity, I do not trust it or myself to get it right.

@Eric-Elliott Do it a 100 times if you need to, there's always the undo button & nothing in the orig file gets written over, you can't even mistakenly export & overwrite a file that's in the project.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

browj2 wrote on 7/14/2024, 10:57 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

Therefore, the easier and maybe less time consuming option in this case is to re-do the audio completely.

Absolutely false! You need to learn how to edit properly - trim as you have been told or simply adjust the start or end of a clip by dragging the end. This is basic editing. What are you going to do with your videos, redo them because you didn't learn how to do a simple trim?

I showed you in one of the videos how to drag the end of a clip in or out (if already trimmed).

You can move the playback marker precisely to a frame by getting close and then using the left and right arrow buttons on your keyboard to move the playback marker in 1 frame increments. Then split or remove the part to the left or the right using the shortcuts that have been mentioned.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/14/2024, 11:47 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

Therefore, the easier and maybe less time consuming option in this case is to re-do the audio completely.

Absolutely false! You need to learn how to edit properly - trim as you have been told or simply adjust the start or end of a clip by dragging the end. This is basic editing. What are you going to do with your videos, redo them because you didn't learn how to do a simple trim?

I showed you in one of the videos how to drag the end of a clip in or out (if already trimmed).

You can move the playback marker precisely to a frame by getting close and then using the left and right arrow buttons on your keyboard to move the playback marker in 1 frame increments. Then split or remove the part to the left or the right using the shortcuts that have been mentioned.

John CB

In this case, it is much easier for me to just re-do the audio. It is not like it is a 20 minute speech or something. Its closer to 2 minutes, if that.

I can drag all day, but I get real messed up doing that. I can't work with frames when I am using a still picture set at any length more than one second, there would be no frames, like in a video would there? I also really don't want or need to go that deep. It is not worth the effort to me. I am not trying to make epic movies or high quality videos or whatever. Just decent will more than do the job.

I don't think there is any such thing as "basic editing" for the layperson. It is only basic to those who have been in the industry or something.

Besides, right now all work has stopped. I was going to make test videos as you suggested today and work with merging and such, but my mic died right after it requested a firmware update. So a replacement is on the way and will be here Wednesday. I don't do anything with it, so that is disturbing that it would die after an update. They are looking into it at least to figure out what happened.

I'm beginning to believe that I should not even be doing any of this stuff at all. including a YT attempt, given the endless delays and problems. I may be in some big trouble if I continue? I don't know.

browj2 wrote on 7/14/2024, 12:49 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

The timeline is measured in hours, minutes, seconds and frames - hh:mm:ss:ff. There are no fractions of a second, only frames.

Still images are as long as you want them to be - meaning showing for x seconds or y frames - you decide, not the program. Videos and images are measured in frames. If your project is 30 frames per second and you have what you call a 1 second image on the screen, it is actually 30 frames long. If you drag out the right end towards the right, you are making it show up longer on the timeline - more frames. Put the playback marker at the beginning of a photo. Use the right arrow key. Watch what happens each time that you press it. It moves 1 frame to the right. You still have the same image because it is more than 1 frame long.

I don't think there is any such thing as "basic editing" for the layperson. 

Yes, there is. Put stuff on the timeline, in the order that you want, trim or cut what you want, export. That is basic editing. All video editing programs do this, or should I say, allow you to do this. They don't do it for you.

Forget the mic. You already have many recordings - wave files. In your test project, put some photos on track 1. Drag in an audio clip onto track 2 - at the start. Move the playback marker to the start of the second photo. With your mouse, grab the audio file and move it to the right so that the start lines up with the playback marker. If the magnet is turned on, the beginning of the audio will snap to the beginning of the second photo. Let go. That is basic editing.

Look at the wave form of the audio. Move the playback marker part way along the audio. Select the audio clip. Press Z. This will trim off anything in the audio clip to the left of the playback marker. Drag the audio clip to the left until the left end snaps to the beginning of the second photo. That is basic editing. Nothing happens to the original audio file, only what is shown on the timeline.

Don't like it. Use undo.

Or grab the left end of the trimmed audio clip and drag it a bit the left. You are now untrimming. That is basic editing.

I showed you this in the videos. Watch them again. Practice.

Learn to use the tools!

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 7/14/2024, 12:50 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/14/2024, 3:47 PM

I'm not sure I can work in frames with still pics, I have to work in time or it will not make sense to me, but that should be ok to work in time mode for this. If I had video, frames would make more sense to me.
The photos have lengths from about 20 seconds to one minute. The timeline only shows one photo and then blank space until I scroll to the next. I'm guessing if there is a way to put it in frame mode (there is I just need to find it), then maybe it will look different.

The only recordings I have are ones I can actually use, not test ones that can be sacrificed when everything hits the fan from one wrong move. There may be an "undo" feature, but the minute something goes south, I get real lost and don't know what happened so there is a long delay to hitting the "undo" button. As I get more familiar the delay lessens. I will be using the "undo" button a hundred times I'm sure just for one practice I would rather not mess with the stuff I view as good enough because I am going to practice "saving" in it as instructed. Once it is saved, there is no undo.

It would make no sense that nothing happens to the original wav file if you are editing it. What would be the point? Unless you mean that nothing happens until I save it. I also do NOT trust this program to "snap" anything. I need to practice to see if it does. But I will do that later. One thing at a time, first practice putting "movies" together in a project to make it longer or whatever I am trying to do, which I'm not sure of anymore.

I guess I could just use what images I have, which I was planning one, but I'm not sure about the audio unless the program points to where the wav files are stored for me in this case, so I wanted to record a little fresh audio (gibberish, whatever) to practice. I already know where maybe two wav files are because I made a folder and told the program to put them along with everything else there.
I guess I could use those and just make sure to name the test projects as "test projects". I was going to make fresh tests, that is how I work. It is too late where I am though anyway to start on that. So it will have to be next weekend.

Again in this case because the bit I want to trim or delete on the one audio track thing (I don't know what to call anything anymore) is at the very beginning, therefore because the built in audio editing program doesn't work and I can't load it into a program I am familiar with, it is far easier for me to just re-do the audio in this case.

Again, what is basic to you with decades of experience is completely foreign to me and complicated, I don't even speak the language.

CubeAce wrote on 7/14/2024, 4:41 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric.

All video and most audio editors use what is called 'non linear editing'.

Meaning what you see on the timeline is a representation of the file. A note like in a notepad. When you add any file to a project you are saying to your notebook 'place this audio file here at this time and for such an amount of time. Start so many seconds into the file at this point and end here'.

The original file is never touched.

This is why we refer to anything on the timeline as an object. A video object. An audio object, A text object. A photo object. etc.

So if you edit a video file or audio file by say cutting it, you are only making a note for where it should begin or end on the timeline ready for the next file to take over if that is what you want. If you grabbed the end or start of such a cut / trimmed file and dragged the end of it to the left or right, what you cut away would re-appear and work again.

No file is ever damaged or altered and why the original files can never be deleted from your drives or all the program has is a set of instructions with no files to work from. If you go to the folder using Windows Explorer to where you keep the file and play it with a video player or audio player you will find the file is complete.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 7/14/2024, 4:45 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4780

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.70. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

browj2 wrote on 7/15/2024, 10:11 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure I can work in frames with still pics, I have to work in time or it will not make sense to me

Read what I wrote. Put a photo on the timeline at the very beginning. Put the playback marker at the beginning of the photo object. Look at the time counter at the top left of the preview window. It shows 00:00:00:00. Press the right arrow key on your keyboard once. The counter will change to 00:00:00:01. This means that the playback marker has moved 1 frame. Press the arrow key again. You get 00:00:00:02 and so on. If you project is 30 frames per second or 29.97, keep pressing the right arrow key until the counter shows 00:00:00:29. Press once more and you get 00:00:01:00. This is 1 second. Press again and you get 00:00:01:01 which is 1 second plus 1 frame. And so on.

There is no "frame mode."

A video is just a file made of individual images - frames. If you put a video clip on the timeline and do as above, you get exactly the same thing.

The timeline only shows one photo and then blank space until I scroll to the next.

Then you do not understand what you are supposed to be doing. Watch my tutorials on Getting started and Basic editing. You should have no gaps of images/videos on the timeline - NO GAPS. You photo duration has to be increased to close up the gap. Grab the right side of the first photo and drag it towards the next photo to fill in the gap. We have already shown how to do this more than once. Do what we tell you. You are not going to break anything.

It would make no sense that nothing happens to the original wav file if you are editing it. What would be the point? Unless you mean that nothing happens until I save it.

Wrong. You are editing in the program; you are not editing the original file. As all of us have told you over and over, your file does not get modified. The video editor is a non-destructive. You do what you want in the program. Then you export to get the final result.

I also do NOT trust this program to "snap" anything.

If the magnet is on, snap is on. Try it like you have been told. Object edges snap to object edges or they snap to the playback marker. The program does not snap by itself, you have to drag an object.

Again in this case because the bit I want to trim or delete on the one audio track thing (I don't know what to call anything anymore) is at the very beginning, therefore because the built in audio editing program doesn't work and I can't load it into a program 

We have shown you several ways to trim an object, whether its a video object, audio object, or image (photo) object, the process is the same. Try it. Don't say that it's hard - it isn't.

Why do you say that "the built in audio editing program doesn't work?" You don't need an audio editing program to trim an audio object. The built-in audio "cleaning" editor is for effects, not trimming. Trimming is basic editing - BASIC EDITING. We tell you this, but you won't even try what we show you. Do what we show and tell you.

The only place that is dangerous is the Import screen. Everything there is what is on your hard drive. Never delete anything from that window as it will delete the selected file or folder - it is Windows Explorer. Deleting an object from the timeline is not the same thing. It only affects the timeline, not the original file.

John CB

John C.B.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/15/2024, 7:21 PM

John,

If there is no way to see frames, that makes it extremely hard to work like that. I can't keep trying to convert thing in my head and keep everything else straight. I can't even see the numbers on the timeline well. I go by when I right click on the picture in this case and increase or decrease the time in there. I wonder if I can make the timeline itself just a little bigger? Maybe there is something in settings?

I see my description of what I see on the screen is severely lacking, so here is a screen shot. It shows what I mean when I say the time line only shows one photo and then the blank space. It has everything to do with the length of time it shows.

As for the "Snap" function - That is one of the things I was going to practice yesterday.

As for trimming, that is for working on later when I am more advanced or at least start making lengthy videos like when I go to film my vinyl records or custodial demos, whenever that is. I'm not going to worry much about a 2 minute or less clip. If I can do it, great, if not, who cares?

Again, I am not making feature length films or anything even remotely close. I'm not looking for success on YT or whatever. If I was, then I would not even bother. Let others worry about that for their own stuff.

I also am starting to understand about the difference between what I do in Movie Studio vs what happens to files on my hard drive as in they remain intact. CubeAce also helped explain it.

CubeAce wrote on 7/15/2024, 7:40 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi.

To get your timeline view as you want it to look.

Ray.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.70. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

AAProds wrote on 7/15/2024, 7:45 PM

@CubeAce

Ray, that doesn't work on still images. You only get the first frame on the left end.

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

CubeAce wrote on 7/15/2024, 7:57 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric.

Please remember you are never really shown individual frames in the timeline. It is like a sketch book giving graphical representations of what is on the timeline. Make the view larger and you are shown more frame changes but never really individual frames. Just roughly what is in that area of the timeline.

I also notice you have not activated your jog / scroll wheel or play through speed adjusting controls on your timeline's monitor.

You may find those options useful. Especially the jog / scroll wheel which will show how many frames you have moved the cursor forwards / backwards.

Ray.

AAProds wrote on 7/15/2024, 8:41 PM

@Eric-Elliott

I wonder if I can make the timeline itself just a little bigger? Maybe there is something in settings?

I agree, the 20-something nerds with good eyes don't have a problem but us oldies have to peer at the screen closely to see anything.

One thing you can try which will increase the font size of the timeline numbers is to increase the scale of your Windows display setting. Go to: Windows Settings>System>Display and choose the next highest Scale. If it's currently on 100%, change it to 125%. That will increase the size of the program text eg timeline numbers and easier to read.

Last changed by AAProds on 7/15/2024, 8:43 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

AAProds wrote on 7/15/2024, 9:09 PM

@Eric-Elliott

I say the time line only shows one photo and then the blank space. It has everything to do with the length of time it shows.

Still images only display the very start of the object, since every following "frame" is exactly the same. The critical issue, the "yellow blank space", isn't blank at all; it's the continuation of your image. The length of your image is shown by the yellow, which is the image "object". In your screenshot, it goes almost to 25sec, and is butted up nicely against the next image, "Diane Ackenstone.JPG". There is no blank space; drag the Play marker along the timeline in the yellow area and you will see the image being displayed.

Images can also be any length you like; you can change it by right-clicking as you are doing, but it is much easier to simply drag the end (either end) so that it fits the soundtrack. You can shorten or lengthen either image so the combination matches the length of your audio object. Example:

As a general rule, I always try to match the video or still images to the soundtrack, not the other way round.

Last changed by AAProds on 7/15/2024, 9:11 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

Gid wrote on 7/15/2024, 9:41 PM

@Eric-Elliott

I wonder if I can make the timeline itself just a little bigger? Maybe there is something in settings?

I agree, the 20-something nerds with good eyes don't have a problem but us oldies have to peer at the screen closely to see anything.

One thing you can try which will increase the font size of the timeline numbers is to increase the scale of your Windows display setting. Go to: Windows Settings>System>Display and choose the next highest Scale. If it's currently on 100%, change it to 125%. That will increase the size of the program text eg timeline numbers and easier to read.

@AAProds Hi, that doesn't work for me

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

AAProds wrote on 7/15/2024, 9:50 PM

@Gid

Did you close and re-open Magix, as per the yellow note? I have to do that here to get Magix to change text size.

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

Gid wrote on 7/15/2024, 10:10 PM

@AAProds 😁 No 🤦‍♂️😂 They should write that in bright coloured letters so it stands out,😏😁

It works now, that's full screen.

Last changed by Gid on 7/15/2024, 10:10 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

AAProds wrote on 7/15/2024, 10:16 PM

@Gid

At last! I can see your screen clearly! That's great, leave it like that! 😀😀👍👍

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

Gid wrote on 7/15/2024, 10:30 PM

@AAProds I might consider this at 200% if I'm going to screen capture, this is full screen so I'm not peering at reduced UI, It should look better to you.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

AAProds wrote on 7/15/2024, 10:36 PM

@Gid

Yes, that's good, probably doesn't need to be that much, could you do a short screen capture on Magix to check? I think 175% would still be OK.

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12