Can I work with left and right stereo tracks separately?

Don-K wrote on 5/4/2022, 3:56 PM

New guy here.

I have an Mpeg4 video that has all of the audio recorded on the right stereo channel only. I'd like to copy everything on that right channel over to the left, or convert that stereo audio track to mono, so that the audio will play from both left and right speakers when the movie is played back.

I can't seem to find a way to separate the left and right channels in Soun Forge, so I can manipulate them independently. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.)

--Donk

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/4/2022, 5:52 PM

Probably the easiest, if I understand what you wish to do, is right-click the "Stereo" button in the status bar, on the bottom of the timeline window, and choose 'Mono' which will give you the option to choose Left, Right or Both channels for the single-channel mono file. When editing is complete you will need to re-render the MP4 A/V file, so make a copy prior in case something goes wrong.

A better option after mastering the audio would be to 'save as' an audio only MP4 (AAC)... Then use a third-party utility to 'mux' in the 'new' audio, This procedure does not re-render the video eliminating further degradation. I have used MeGUI, AvideMux, or MP4Box to replace audio on MP4 videos.

FWIW, the only version of Sound Forge that could natively mux in audio was Audio Studio-12. AS-12 was.. 'unique'.

btw @Don-K, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community .

Don-K wrote on 5/5/2022, 8:04 AM

Thanks very much for the welcome and the great suggestions. I'll get to work!