Comments

martinheeremans wrote on 11/27/2015, 11:49 AM

Hey fred2,

I haven't used the Magix software to build a website, I just build them myself using a text editor. But there should be somewhat of a similarity (Magix would only be copying and pasting tags into an HTML document to add graphic and features to your website...)

I don't want to sound patronizing, but I will explain a little 'work around" I just conjured up for you in as straight forward as i can, with no computer jargon, so you can make sense of it and understand what I am saying.

If this will indeed help that is..

So, I will assume you have already built the website page you want to copy?

Well, if that page is accessible in your browser (i.e. It opens like a webpage would in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome) then you can see all that pages scripting by doing this.

Open up site in browser ====> Right mouse click ====> Click on view source,

Here you will see all the websites HTML Syntax. Highlight and copy all of that, put it into a notepad file.

In notepad go to file ====> Save As.

At the next screen you can save it as any name you want, but it has to have what I will write in a minute after the name you write for the file.

Enter this, without the quotation marks.after you have decided the filename.

".html"

That will, essentially tell computers it's a website script.

As you can see I am trying to help. If you could be a bit more clear with your issue, I will research the product a bit and look into it for you.

fred2 wrote on 11/28/2015, 6:04 AM

Hi Martin, if I right click on the site all I get is Adobe settings so that idea will not work. Thanks for trying..Fred Brown

johnebaker wrote on 11/28/2015, 9:44 AM

Hi

. . . . I get is Adobe settings . . . .

I presume you are using Website Maker MX  in which case you cannot copy from one site into Website Maker

Website Maker does not generate the website until you Publish it so no HTML exist until then.

Martins suggestion will not work - in the free version there is no way of pasting HTML and if you used the paid for versions, even though there is a HTML widget, you would be pasting a page within a page.

There may be a workaround however depending on your answer to the question below

Was the existing site created using Website Maker and is the project still available to Website Maker?

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/28/2015, 9:44 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

fred2 wrote on 11/28/2015, 9:57 AM

Hello John the original site page was built using website builder deluxe and the website I want to copy to is also website bulder deluxe, the system is still available and operating, any suggestions? Best regards, Fred Brown

johnebaker wrote on 11/28/2015, 3:53 PM

Hi Fred

We have a little bit of confusion going on here over the program you are using.

The topic refers to Magix Website Maker, however your last post refers to Website Builder which was a Primasoft product.

Neither Magix nor Xara (AFAIK) have released a product called Website Builder. 

Can you please clarify which program you are using for both the old and newsite.

If you are using Website Builder, as stated in your last post, then unfortunately I do not know this program.  Judging from the videos I have looked at, it appears to be totally different and incompatible with all the programs I have used for website making.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/28/2015, 3:54 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

fred2 wrote on 11/29/2015, 5:48 AM

Hi John, sorry for the confusion, the system is Website Maker de-luxe and being used for both sites, I am geting the impression that what I want to do is not posible , thanks for you trouble.  Fred Brown

johnebaker wrote on 11/29/2015, 7:38 AM

Hi Fred

. . . . the system is Website Maker de-luxe . . .

Thanks for the clarification, that helps a great deal.

Is the new website replacing the old?

AFAICS it is not posible to copy pages from one project to another. 

However it may be possible to create the new site within the old site project and then duplicate then edit the pages required and create new pages - but set them not to be published.

Once the entire site is done, if you can save it as a new project (I cannot test this as I only have the free version), then you can change its publishing location to a subfolder of the existing site - you would then have to reset the domain name to point to the subfolder.

In either case - by switching the published pages to not publish, and the new site pages to publish and reset the homepage you can then publish the new site.

The only downside, if you cannot put the newsite in a subfolder of the old,  is it will replace the existing site immediately, however you do have the ability to recover by reversing the above and publishing again.

Trying the above is at your own risk.

HTH (and makes sense!)

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/29/2015, 7:38 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

fred2 wrote on 11/29/2015, 8:43 AM

Hello again John, I will have a go at your suggestion when I have a few hours to spare! It al sounds very complicated but will give it a try, thank you for your efforts and time.   Fred.

fred2 wrote on 12/3/2015, 4:06 AM

Thanks for all your efforts John, I have at last heard from Magix and they tell me it is not possible to do what I want, so that would seem to be the end of the matter.  Best wishes,  Fred.