Bluray disc from AVCHD video footage

shubert wrote on 11/28/2013, 2:28 AM

Bluray disc from AVCHD video footage, How to?

AS in the case of DVD, I would render the edits to MPEG ll from AVCHD footage and check for issues if any before burning to DVD. Like wise I prefer to render for BD compatible files and check before proceeding to create an image file, hence the question.

If I proceed to 'Disc write' option than I can select what you have suggested and create an image for BD from the various profile provided in Magix VPX5. However if I need to render the movie to a file which is compatible with BD than what option to select from the presets?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 11/28/2013, 4:28 AM

Assuming I'm not missing something implied by your question: edit your footage, go to the "burn" screen and choose blu-ray as the output.  The actual procedure is the same as for DVD apart from selecting the higher quality output (BD).  Clearly, you will need a BD writer rather than a DVD writer to burn the actual disc.

What have you tried before in order to burn a BD disc?

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 11/28/2013, 4:28 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 11/28/2013, 1:46 PM

Hi

. . . . Clearly, you will need a BD writer rather than a DVD writer to burn the actual disc. . . .

Well actually you don't, providing your movie is less than 20 - 25 mins long you can burn a BD movie to standard DVD disc in a DVD burner as you can see from the images below:

They will play on a BD player.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/28/2013, 1:46 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 11/28/2013, 2:19 PM

Hi

. . . . Clearly, you will need a BD writer rather than a DVD writer to burn the actual disc. . . .

Well actually you don't, providing your movie is less than 20 - 25 mins long you can burn a BD movie to standard DVD disc in a DVD burner as you can see from the images below:

They will play on a BD player.

John

Hi John.  Yes I'd forgotten about the possibility of burning AVCHD to DVD but since the OP has clearly now expanded the detail in his question this does not seem to be his "problem".  (I think, however, your last sentence ought to say only on a BD player.)

@shubert, I'm not clear why you cannot simply export your finished footage, using the Burn screen.  I really don't see that Exporting to MPEG-II, prior to creating a DVD Image file (which is what you seem to say is your standard workflow) is any different, and is perhaps more time-consuming, than allowing VPX to export and create the Disc image in one go?  Are you concerned that the image may be in some way "faulty"?  The process which VPX uses is always to create and keep a folder of the exported files before creating the actual disc image.  If you want to "check" the finished result you can always do what I often do which is to "play the disc" using the files in that folder, which always has "DVD" in its name, to make clear what it is!  I use a player like PowerDVD to check the files and if they're what I expect, will use the separate Disc Image (.zip) file to create the finished disc, initially usually a DVDRW, again to check the final product, before creating a "production" DVD.

The procedure for BD production is exactly the same, except for choosing Blu-ray disc as the final medium.  VPX itself will then make the correct choice of output format etc.

Last changed by emmrecs on 11/28/2013, 2:19 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 11/28/2013, 3:49 PM

Hi Jeff

. . . . I think, however, your last sentence ought to say only on a BD player. . . .

I should have included Playstations, X-Boxes and PC/Laptops with the correct software.  I use Nero Blu-Ray Player and can play BD on DVD using the DVD drive.

@ shubert

Like Jeff, I too am puzzled by your work flow.

You appear to be creating extra steps in  the process just so as you can check the video, when you could do this directly. 

I use rewriteable DVD's or BD's for checking the final video, not just on computer, but also on DVD or BD player and TV .  This also enables you to check all the menus function correctly with the remote control.

If further editting/correction is needed then I do this; then I rewrite to discs again for testing. 

Once I have a good 'image' on the rewriteable I use this as a master disc to create the final discs - copying using Nero. 

I always create 2 discs - a master disc and a 'user' disc on write once DVD's or BD's.  The rewriteables are then reused for testing the next project.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/28/2013, 3:58 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

shubert wrote on 11/29/2013, 11:50 AM

Hi Jeff

. . . . I think, however, your last sentence ought to say only on a BD player. . . .

I should have included Playstations, X-Boxes and PC/Laptops with the correct software.  I use Nero Blu-Ray Player and can play BD on DVD using the DVD drive.

@ shubert

Like Jeff, I too am puzzled by your work flow.

You appear to be creating extra steps in  the process just so as you can check the video, when you could do this directly. 

I use rewriteable DVD's or BD's for checking the final video, not just on computer, but also on DVD or BD player and TV .  This also enables you to check all the menus function correctly with the remote control.

If further editting/correction is needed then I do this; then I rewrite to discs again for testing. 

Once I have a good 'image' on the rewriteable I use this as a master disc to create the final discs - copying using Nero. 

I always create 2 discs - a master disc and a 'user' disc on write once DVD's or BD's.  The rewriteables are then reused for testing the next project.

John

Hi to all. Many thanks for the suggestions. I seems to be following a long method. I shall try what is suggested in here.