Batch-Custom saved Volume preset disappears after restart

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 8/21/2023, 12:04 PM

I create and use batches all the time. Never had a batch save issue in old Sound Forge 10. Appears to only be an issue in the newer Sound Forge 16.

I created batch to normalize and then increase the volume by +4dB.

Effect is volume. I adjust the slider to +4dB. I save the preset as 4dB boost. I then save the batch, under folder FS presets.

Run Job on files and the batch works perfectly. Wav files are at +4dB as expected.

Close Sound Forge 15, open Sound Forge 16. Open the previously save batch.

Run Job on files and the batch converted the wav files to 0dB, not the +4dB as expected.

Investigation: Open saved batch file and looks normal as expected. Select Edit Effect Volume and preset is (untitled) and at 0dB.

I look at the preset and the previously saved 4dB boost is no longer there. Further investigation: Any preset saved for volume is gone. Only [Sys] presets are available.

Why are the Volume presets disappearing? 

Thank you,

Greg-Alcorn

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/21/2023, 3:08 PM

Hi @Greg-Alcorn, I was able to successfully run a 'volume' batch job from SFP-15 on SFP-16. I could not find the batch job file in the SFP-16 batch interface though, so I copy/pasted the pertinent < .bj> file from SFP-15 to 16.
C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Sound Forge Pro\15.0\Actions
 to
C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Sound Forge Pro\16\Actions
BC was redesigned in SFP-15, so the prior legacy batch jobs will not work. The redesign initially had some bugs too, as I recall.

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 8/23/2023, 3:31 PM

This batch was created from scratch only in SF16. The +4dB volume only disappears if you close SF16 and then reopen. The volume will still be there but the saved +4dB preset disappears.

SP. wrote on 8/23/2023, 3:32 PM

@Greg-Alcorn Does this also happen if you run SF as administrator by right clicking on the program icon?

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 8/23/2023, 4:35 PM

Yes, ran as administrator issue still occurs.

Saved preset and also the batch, pic below

Close and reopen SF16 and the preset +4dB is gone.

SP. wrote on 8/23/2023, 5:07 PM

@Greg-Alcorn Oh, I now see that the preset name is "Untitled" instead of the correct preset name. If I remember correctly this is a problem since Sound Forge 15.

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 8/30/2023, 12:46 PM

I submitted a case to Magix support a week ago and no response.

SP. wrote on 8/30/2023, 3:11 PM

@Greg-Alcorn SF 16 no longer gets updates.

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 8/30/2023, 3:20 PM

I got the email saved of receiving Sound Forge 16 activation key 11-4-22. Does support stop at less than a year whenever a new update comes out? So software less than a year old and they won't fix? Or reply.

SP. wrote on 8/30/2023, 3:25 PM

@Greg-Alcorn It can take some time until you'll get a reply. Especially now, during summer holidays in Germany. You might want to create a new ticket each week. I don't know if it will be closed automatically after a certain time without a response or follow-up question from your side.

But yes, you're correct. After version 17 came out, no more updates for version 16 will be released. There is usually a new version each year.

I'm still on version 15. It has also some bugs like the untitled preset names, but not the huge problems with VST plugins like version 16 or 17.

rraud wrote on 8/30/2023, 3:38 PM

If you requested an (offical) Magix tech support ticket, an auto-confirmation email is sent soon after submission with a ticket number and other pertinent info. Within a few days, you will receive another email from a (human) support staff person. Corporate mails can end up in one's junk or spam email folder. so always check there. If you have not received any kind of response, submit another request. btw, it is a bit confusing, so you may want to peruse this instructional comment .

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 8/30/2023, 4:12 PM

I did not get an email, so you are correct the case did not go through. Resubmitted again and got email with Ticket#2023xxxxxx. Appreciate your help.

Greg-Alcorn wrote on 9/5/2023, 2:49 PM

Technical Support got back to me right away and confirmed it is a known bug that is to be fixed in the future..

Some of the effects store properly, so the work around is pick one that can be saved, and also can increase to +4dB.

I used the wave hammer, minimized compression and limiting, and configured to +4dB of output gain. Wave Hammer saves after restarting SF16 and +4dB works properly.

rraud wrote on 9/6/2023, 9:08 AM

Thank-you for the update on this issue @Greg-Alcorn.