Audio Studio needs to have meta data cleaned out

jbraner wrote on 10/23/2017, 8:02 AM

Hi,

I have the latest version of Audio Studio - 12.0.0.272 (DP3).

I'm opening up an audio file that has been edited before, and the end of the audio is truncated. There is nothing actually wrong with the audio file though. if I delete the metadata folder (My Documents\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 12\Meta data) and then open the file - it is fine.

Why should this be? What is in the meta data folder? Should we be cleaning this out regularly?

Maybe this is just a poor relation to Sound Forge Pro - but it really doesn't feel ready for prime time yet.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 10/23/2017, 9:32 AM

Hi.

If by deleting the metadata you are able to open your audio files without problem, I see no reason to not delete that data!

From what you write it would appear that the metadata is giving information about the length of your file wrongly; hence playback is being truncated. Such an error means that Audio Studio "believes" the file is shorter than it actually is and so stops playback before the real end of the file.

I think that if you choose to resave any file you have previously deleted the metadata from, that metadata will then be recreated, hopefully without the error(s).

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

jbraner wrote on 10/23/2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks Jeff,

But why should you have to delete the metadata folder, just to open a file?

That's not right ;-)

emmrecs wrote on 10/23/2017, 10:42 AM

But why should you have to delete the metadata folder, just to open a file?

That's not right ;-)

I agree, but since the metadata appears to be being created with errors, what alternative do you have?!! If it's any consolation, I've heard of similar problems with other audio software.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

jbraner wrote on 10/23/2017, 10:47 AM

My alternative is to post here - and see if someone from Magix thinks they can fix it ;-)

T.W. wrote on 10/30/2017, 10:17 AM

Hello jbraner,

of course we always want to fix problems. In this case we need the files, to reproduce what you report. Please get in contact with: Support-sfas12@magix.net you can quote this conversation and address it to Tom. Then i will get it.

Thanks
Tom

emmrecs wrote on 10/30/2017, 10:46 AM

Hi @T.W.

Many thanks for jumping into this thread. It's very reassuring to know Magix support do read these posts.

Jeff

jbraner wrote on 10/30/2017, 11:58 AM

I knew they read here - that's why I posted ;-)

timhorning wrote on 4/12/2018, 2:19 AM

I have the same issue with Magix SFAS 12.5. I chose to rename the file as a workaround. Clearly not ready for prime time. Went back to Sony SFAS 10 - no issues whatsoever. Shouldn't have to pay for beta-quality software.

warpedjoe wrote on 7/24/2018, 8:31 PM

Got the same problem. When I snip off part of the file it will sometimes add blank space at the end to make the file the same length OR it will actually cut off part of the head of the file even though I did not edit the head. Also has a tendency to insert parts of the sound track at random places - even parts I have not edited appear elsewhere. And the time it take to "render graphics" is ridiculous! SF 11 did not have problems like this. Something is wrong in the code. Magix needs to be paying attention to the users. I am at 12.6 (Build 356, 64Bit). And since I updated to Build 356, it now has the popup to "Upgrade to Version 12 Today." I'm not spending any more money until somebody takes the time to do a remote session to my desktop and actually see what's happening.

jbraner wrote on 7/25/2018, 4:14 AM

I just switched to Ocenaudio.

https://www.ocenaudio.com/

It's free - and it works fine...