Audio Studio 12 is missing a make CD file option, can only burn a CD!

jaydear wrote on 7/18/2018, 12:18 AM

The built-in help says you can make a file (an ISO file?) instead of burning a physical CD, but that option is not available in any menu. That is a huge oversight in my opinion. It is a very strange omission and forces us to copy a CD-R with all it's inherent errors, then waste time in another program, e.g. Nero or ImgBurn, in order to make an ISO file to make multiple copies from. I just can't believe you left the "burn to a file" option out. I thought Sound Forge was a program for audio pro's to do some serious CD mastering with.

SFAS12.6 (build 356, 64bit) on an i7 PC, Windows 8.1, 16GB RAM

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/18/2018, 11:47 AM

ISO is never a valid image format for an audio CDs, because it uses a particular file system that does not apply to audio CDs (an audio CD image must define multiple tracks; ISO only defines a file system contained within a track. A proper audio CD image would typically be CUE+BIN file format. I'm not aware that AS-12 (can create that. (SF Pro cannot). Maybe contact Magix AS-12 tech support.

A project file with the media can be saved and/or an exported the file list and burn CDs at a later date. Pages 24-31 in the AS-12 manual. For an archival audio CD image, I use ImgBurn to copy a fresh burned disc on good quality media.

jaydear wrote on 7/18/2018, 1:08 PM

You are correct about ISO vs CUE+BIN, however the pdf manual differs to the built-in help I referred to where they state in "Burn audio CD" ...
"...Generate a complete new file for the whole CD: Use this function to create the CD in case the computer is not fast enough to burn on-the-fly. This mode calculates your project including all effects and creates a new file. Make sure there is enough space on your hard disk for this file (ca. 700 MB for a complete CD)..." which suggests to me that the function existed. To me, having to burn a CD and then make a file from it is like cutting a lacquer and then copying it to a tape from a record player - not very professional.
Incidentally, in both the built-in help and the pdf manual they refer to an "Extras" menu, but it does not exist - it should say "Tools".

rraud wrote on 7/18/2018, 2:02 PM

Thanks for the update JD. Please post your progress and other discoveries on AS-12. There are not many posts specific to AS-12 in this forum. I primarily use SF-Pro and in the rare instance an audio CD is needed, I prefer CD Architect. However that does not offer CUE/BIN image export either.