Are there more Genre Templates for Song Maker?

Josh-Terry wrote on 2/10/2021, 10:53 PM

I've been a long time user of Magix audio recording software (since 2004), particularly of Music Studio, and recently I purchased Music Maker Premium and took advantage of the Soundpool downloads included (for the record, I currently have the Boom bundle, both J-Pop soundpools, the 80's Movie Score bundle, and the Movie Score collection). I was impressed with the Song Maker tool, but my only concern is the choice of genre templates to choose from.

For the rock section, I only saw one single temple for metal and the score section has only a few templates to choose from. In the pop section, I only saw one template for 80's but absolutely no J-Pop templates. It seems like there's a limited selection of genre templates, but I was wondering if either I'm missing something or there's anywhere to add official genre templates to expand my current selection. Anything helps. Thanks.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 2/11/2021, 7:25 AM

@Josh-Terry

Hi,

In MMM2021 Song Maker, there are 9 genres, each with 1 or more templates. Here is the list of templates:

• 80s - Absolute 80s.xml              
  • Ambient - Drones & Textures.xml     
  • Ambient - Float to Infinity.xml     
  • Chart Hits - Crazy Things.xml       
  • Chart Hits - Fade Out.xml           
  • Chart Hits - Smash Hits - Part 2.xml
  • Chart Hits - Smash Hits.xml         
  • Chart Hits - Temptation.xml         
  • Chart Hits - Uptown!.xml            
  • Chill House - Ibiza Chillhouse.xml  
  • Chillout - Balearic Islands.xml     
  • Country - Modern Country.xml        
  • Downbeat - Smokey Light.xml         
  • Drum & Bass - Bass Addicts.xml      
  • Drum & Bass - Dark Zone.xml         
  • Dubstep - Bass Drops.xml            
  • EDM - Bangerz!.xml                  
  • EDM - Electro House.xml             
  • EDM - Trance Masters.xml            
  • Electric Jazz - Jazzy Feel.xml      
  • Glitch Hop - From the Glitch.xml    
  • Grime - Grimey.xml                  
  • Hip Hop - Heavy Weight.xml          
  • Hip Hop - Make some Cash.xml        
  • Hip Hop - Rhyme Slayer.xml          
  • House - Analog House.xml            
  • Metal - End of Times.xml            
  • Pop Rock - No Time.xml              
  • Pop Rock - Replay.xml               
  • Score - Blockbuster.xml             
  • Score - Classic Movie Score.xml     
  • Score - Modern Score.xml            
  • Soul - Downtown Soul.xml            
  • Trap - Bounce.xml                   
  • Trap - Electro Trap.xml             

You can open the xml files to see how they are put together and create your own, as one user in this forum did.

In order to use a template, although not obligatory, you should have, firstly, one or more Soundpools for that genre, secondly, one or more Soundpools with the same BPM or at least close to it. However, you can use any Soundpool with any template.

You will need to obtain more Soundpools, especially for the genre that you like.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Josh-Terry wrote on 2/12/2021, 1:02 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the info. I actually saw that post from earlier, but it initially didn't give me the answers I was looking for. I figured that there would be more genre templates based on the soundpools themselves (such as a genre template specifically for J-Pop), and that's why I found the selection to be limited. Each soundpool is unique, so I figured that it would make sense to have a genre template for each one.

I was also able to find the list of templates in the folder, so I could take a look at one and see how it's put together. Overall, I was hoping to dive right into making songs using the song maker tool without spending too much time arranging songs as I'm very nitpicky on how I want the songs to sound. The songs end up sounding very unfocused with no sense of flow, like the loops were randomly selected. But I'm just learning how to use it, so maybe I'm missing something.

Also, it seems like every time I make a song with song maker it always ends up in the same key. Is there any way to fix that?

johnebaker wrote on 2/12/2021, 6:43 AM

@Josh-Terry

Hi

. . . .  I figured that there would be more genre templates based on the soundpools themselves (such as a genre template specifically for J-Pop), and that's why I found the selection to be limited. . . . .

AFAICS it does not work like that - in principal you have the cart before the horse.

The Genre is a set base 'templates' on which the music style is based, once a Genre is selected it uses the selected Soundpool(s) you want to use with the Instruments you then select.

. . . . I was hoping to dive right into making songs using the song maker tool without spending too much time arranging songs as I'm very nitpicky on how I want the songs to sound . . . .

Song Maker does not make perfect music - from the manual with my highlighting:

'With the help of the Song Maker, you can automatically arrange multiple audio
objects (loops) using included samples for songs or song parts without having to drag
them individually from the Media Pool into the corresponding tracks. Considering the
relatively random selection of loops that are combined you shouldn't expect the Song
Maker to produce a chart-topping hit, but it can be very helpful as a basis for making
your own adjustments and additions to create a cool project.'

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Josh-Terry wrote on 2/12/2021, 11:38 AM

Thank you for the help. I was expecting to do a little bit of refining when using the Song Maker, but it seems like I'd have to change nearly every single loop that was randomly selected just to get something that sounds good to my ears, and therefore it seems like more work than expected. I know that songwriting isn't easy (I've recorded seven solo albums myself), but it's almost as if I'd be better off just adding loops in from scratch which I presume would be the old fashioned way.

Still, I think that the Song Maker is a pretty handy tool and perhaps the technology behind it will continue to improve over time and increase the motivation to compose music with less of a struggle.

SP. wrote on 2/12/2021, 2:01 PM

@Josh-Terry Maybe only create one part of the song at a time (intro, verse, chorus), so it is easier to get results faster. Some templates also generate many pitch changes which can sound horrible. You can remove the pitch changes by selecting all objects -> right click -> Pitch & Tempo -> Set pitch (depending on the number of loops it can take some time and Music Maker is unresponsive - you'll have to wait).

johnebaker wrote on 2/12/2021, 2:15 PM

@Josh-Terry

Hi

. . . . I'd be better off just adding loops in from scratch which I presume would be the old fashioned way. . . . .

It is not the old fashioned way - it is the creative way to make something that meets your needs.

Machine scored music tends to have too much of a sameness and misses the unique characteristics that make for superb compositions.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Josh-Terry wrote on 2/12/2021, 2:47 PM

@Josh-Terry Maybe only create one part of the song at a time (intro, verse, chorus), so it is easier to get results faster. Some templates also generate many pitch changes which can sound horrible. You can remove the pitch changes by selecting all objects -> right click -> Pitch & Tempo -> Set pitch (depending on the number of loops it can take some time and Music Maker is unresponsive - you'll have to wait).

Thanks for the tip. Trying to cram everything in at once does seem to add to the work load anyway. I tried just generating one section of a song (the intro), and it looks like it makes editing easier.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is when I tried using Song Maker for the next section (the verse) in the same file without erasing the intro. I'd rather keep everything into one comprehensive project rather than to create multiple projects and do too much exporting and importing (work smarter, not harder after all).

johnebaker wrote on 2/12/2021, 3:04 PM

@Josh-Terry

Hi

. . . . The only thing I couldn't figure out is when I tried using Song Maker for the next section (the verse) in the same file without erasing the intro. I'd rather keep everything into one comprehensive project rather than to create multiple projects and do too much exporting and importing . . . .

Song Maker cannot do that - as soon as you try to create a new section it clears the previous composition by design.

The suggestion from @SP. is a valid option however creating a new section does mean a new project and you will have to merge them together.

OT - if you are creating music for commercial use then you do need to purchase Commercial licences for all SoundPools used in the composition - the standard loops/SoundPools supplied with Music Maker are for personal/non commercial use only - see the Licencing terms and conditions here.

John EB

Josh-Terry wrote on 2/12/2021, 3:10 PM

@Josh-Terry

Hi

. . . . I'd be better off just adding loops in from scratch which I presume would be the old fashioned way. . . . .

It is not the old fashioned way - it is the creative way to make something that meets your needs.

Machine scored music tends to have too much of a sameness and misses the unique characteristics that make for superb compositions.

John EB

I always thought of doing something from scratch (be it writing music, cooking, etc.) to be an old fashioned way, which I would never think of as inherently inferior in any way so I apologize if that gave any wrong impressions. It's just that from my experience, arranging sequences in music from scratch has been a time consuming process which can be mind numbing and creatively discouraging. I'm always curious to look for any tools to reduce the amount of time it takes to write music and ease any unwanted burdens, so naturally I became excited to see the Song Maker tool in Music Maker Premium.

browj2 wrote on 2/12/2021, 3:26 PM

@Josh-Terry

Hi,

The previous version, according to the manual IIRC, was additive. The new version removes whatever is on the Arranger. I suggest raising a wish list ticket on this. We should be able to do the Intro, add another section, then another.

One thing, if you don't like the arrangement at all, press on the Create Song again; the previous version will be replaced by a new one.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Amaury-Perez wrote on 5/14/2021, 9:08 AM

Where do you change the tempo BEFORE or AFTER creation of song with SONG MAKER-- I see the tempo button BUT it does not change the tempo.