Always crashes while opening an ordinary WAV file since Sound Forge 14

Parco wrote on 9/1/2021, 6:26 AM

Just opening an ordinary 48000Hz 24bit WAV file in Sound Forge then crash since v.14 until the latest ver.15 now.

It always crashes and shows me this dialog file just selected a WAV file to open, then closed itself. But a SFK file of that WAV file is still created beside the WAV file right after the Sound Forge shown this error and terminated itself.

Problem Description
   Application Name:    SOUND FORGE Pro
   Application Version: Version 15.0 (Build 64) 64-bit
   Problem:             Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
   Fault Module:        C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Pro 15.0\forgek.dll
   Fault Address:       0x0000000000D0F207
   Fault Offset:        0x000000000036F207

Fault Process Details
   Process Path:        C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Pro 15.0\Forge150.exe
   Process Version:     Version 15.0 (Build 64) 64-bit
   Process Description: SOUND FORGE Pro
   Process Image Date:  2021-07-26 (Mon Jul 26) 14:41:14

I don't know why. But I've then compared Sound Forge 14 with 13, I guess it crashes while trying to create the sound wave graphs.

I've noticed a page in Sound Forge 14 changed from "Vocal Activity" become "Wave Color" since upgraded from SF 13. I guess this is the key problem. Now I just can successfully use my SF 13, but never can operate anything either in SF 14 or SF 15.

My OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 19043.1165

CPU: Intel 10700K

GPU: Intel UHD 630

Graphic Driver ver: 30.0.100.9805

MotherboardL ASUS TUF gaming plus Z490

This problem happens since graphic driver version 27.20.100.8280 until now. I hope it will be fixed soon.

Comments

rraud wrote on 9/1/2021, 10:46 AM

Does this issue occur when opening all files, just PCM <.wav>, or a specific file?

Look for and close other applications that may be capturing the sound device driver Sound Forge needs, and/or try using another sound device type in "Options> Preferences> Audio". The Classic Wave driver and MS Sound Mapper is usually trouble free.

I do not recall reports of this behavior from other users or on other Sound Forge versions, so it is not a software bug, Nor do I think the vocal activity and color has anything to do with it. Otherwise, Sound Forge always creates an <.sfk> waveform file if one does not already exist.
Assuming you tried reinstalling SF already,

If all else fails, request Magix Sound Forge Tech Support ticket
btw @Parco, requesting support is a little confusing so you may want to peruse a previous comment that has step-by-step instructions.
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/unable-to-record--1272206/#ca1661047

Parco wrote on 9/1/2021, 3:25 PM

Does this issue occur when opening all files, just PCM <.wav>, or a specific file?

Look for and close other applications that may be capturing the sound device driver Sound Forge needs, and/or try using another sound device type in "Options> Preferences> Audio". The Classic Wave driver and MS Sound Mapper is usually trouble free.

I do not recall reports of this behavior from other users or on other Sound Forge versions, so it is not a software bug, Nor do I think the vocal activity and color has anything to do with it. Otherwise, Sound Forge always creates an <.sfk> waveform file if one does not already exist.
Assuming you tried reinstalling SF already,

If all else fails, request Magix Sound Forge Tech Support ticket
btw @Parco, requesting support is a little confusing so you may want to peruse a previous comment that has step-by-step instructions.
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/unable-to-record--1272206/#ca1661047

Yes all files, all wav, mp3 and flac files, with any sampling rate and any bit depth, all error now, no matter I open a 48000Hz or 192000Hz file.

I'm all using official hardware ASIO driver in all Sound Forge versions.

Hey now I have to update and rewrite my problem. I've just tried to open the same audio file which tried opening in 14 and 15 before. Now, opening in 13 got the same error as well. And!!! I can't believe!!! Even Sound Forge 11 got the same error as well!! It looks like the SF softwares built in a cache system inside. One version error, suddenly all other versions got the same error immediately once I opened the same file. I'm not sure if every version of Sound Forge software caches something inside like the file parameters, OS system info, hardware configs or drivers info (which other than audio and midi). Horrible! So now, so sad none of SF I can use now. Huh...

My other hardwares:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF gaming plus Z490 (BIOS ver. 2420)
Audio Device: Echo Audiofire 4 (driver ver. 5.8)
1394 card: KALEA-INFORMATIQUE PCIe 1394 A+B card (TI XIO2213B chips inside)
Monitor: LG 22MN430H-B
Midi controller: Nektar Impact GX 61

Here are my driver verions:
Intel Graphics: 30.0.100.9805
Echo Audiofire 4: 5.8
Samsung SSD: 3.3
LG monitor: 1.0
Intel Ethernet: ProSet 26.4
Intel Chipset Driver: 10.1.18793.8276
Intel MEI: 2108.100.0.1053
Intel Rapid Storage: 18.1.6.1039
Intel Serial IO: 30.100.2020.7

I have no idea if any hardwares or drivers above conflict with Sound Forge, but I can run and import all the same audio files into tracks in my Cakewalk and play smoothly without any problems instead, with all the same hardwares and drivers I listed above. I've just tried Cakewalk and even Adobe Audition before I'm typing this reply.

And my audio device must run very smooth in Windows 10 without any problems. I could run Sound Forges 11 and 13 in my very old previous DAW system with the same AudioFire 4 in Windows 10 without any problems. That machine was built with Intel Sandy Bridge 2600 and Intel DZ68DB motherboard inside, and running the same version 5.8 of Audiofire driver too.

And I can always play any files from my Foobar2000 with ASIO driver in both my previous DAW and current DAW machines, smoothly without any troubles.

rraud wrote on 9/1/2021, 5:13 PM

Try using a non-ASIO audio device driver in Sound Forge, Sound Mapper or Classic Wave driver.

Parco wrote on 9/2/2021, 3:32 AM

Try using a non-ASIO audio device driver in Sound Forge, Sound Mapper or Classic Wave driver.

All the same error with all types of driver API, all versions of SF and all audio files.

Parco wrote on 9/7/2021, 5:36 AM

News Update:

Ran Sound Forge in the privilege of Administrator (run as admin), suddenly all versions of Sound Forges worked normally again without any errors! 🤩 So bizarre! But I never have to run my Cakewalk or Audition as admin in the same machine! Would there be any problems of compatibility of Sound Forge and the latest Windows 10? 🤔

rraud wrote on 9/7/2021, 9:34 AM

There is an 'Elevated Privilege' issue for many users of Sound Forge 10, which requires a registry tweak or to 'Run as Administrator'. I have not read of any reports of this issue in SF-12 and newer. It is likely an isolated incident in this case.

Parco wrote on 9/7/2021, 11:33 AM

There is an 'Elevated Privilege' issue for many users of Sound Forge 10, which requires a registry tweak or to 'Run as Administrator'. I have not read of any reports of this issue in SF-12 and newer. It is likely an isolated incident in this case.

Should be something conflicts with Z490 chipset, Trusted Platform Module or Win10 kernel 19043? 🤔