Comments

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 9/9/2018, 11:34 PM

I just bought a MPK249. Just started using it, or attempting to use it. I'll post again when I come up with something, or should I say "IF I come up with something".

I can tell you that I had a hell of a time just getting my computer to recognize it. Had to do with the USB3 ports on my laptop. The MPK249 does not like being plugged into a USB3 port, despite what AKAI says on it's forums. The solution for me was to turn off the power management in my USB root hub (3.0) in the device manager and run the MPK249 through a powered USB2 hub, then into my computer. So I have the keyboard and the pads working so far. Next I'll begin mapping the knobs and faders. I suppose that will be an adventure as well ......

I can hardly wait, lol .......

Will

PhotonBoy wrote on 9/10/2018, 11:09 AM

Hi William-Kenworthy,

Thanks for adding to this thread.

I've heard that people had the USB3 port issue; I have native USB2 on my workstation, so I didn't have to try USB3.

I look forward to hearing how you get along on the mapping.

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 10/6/2018, 1:34 PM

Hi PhotonBoy. I've been ill the last month and haven't been able to get back to this issue. I haven't forgotten and will be be fully recovered soon so I will return to this issue. Have you found anything or worked out any mappings yourself?

Will

PhotonBoy wrote on 10/12/2018, 5:40 PM

Hi, I hope you're doing better.

I've only managed to try a few things; I too have had other issues.

Plus, AC8 is not fully stable for me.

Some things didn't remember the mapping, I'm thinking a couple of the included instruments?, so that sucked up some of my available time. I'm hoping to get back to it over the next few, uh, weeks?

Anything you find is welcome. You are one of the participants on this forum whose feedback is helpful, and you're always thoughtful and respectful. Thanks.

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 10/21/2018, 5:25 PM

Hi PhotonBoy and others,

I'm finally starting to get my wings working again. Been sick so long I forgot where I was with this and had to start over. Nevertheless ...... Here are a few things I've worked out

Don't start ACID until and unless the controller is connected (via USB) to your computer. If I somehow lost the connection during a session Windows 10 dropped the driver and I would have to restart to get it to work again.

Also a USB3 connection won't work unless you put a USB2 hub in between. Mine is powered so I didn't have to use a power source for my MPK249. The power via USB was plenty for the controller.

Preferences/Controllers and automation:

Be sure and set up a Generic controller here. Pretty simple

Preferences/MIDI:

Here you need to add a template for, in my case ... MPK249 (Sometimes instead of "MPK249" the only option available is "Generic controller X" which is setup in the preferences/controllers & automation), or in yours I think you would want a MPK225? If that template is available, if not I would just use the came one I did. It should work fine for your controller.

Once you have that set up, start a new MIDI track and select MPK249 or MPK225 (or the Generic Controller, whatever is available in the MIDI input selection) as input for the track. Auto doesn't always seem to work. Once I selected MPK249 (or generic controller x) as input source to the MIDI track it worked great.

As far as the knobs and faders.

Hybrid already had knobs and faders assigned. Through the MIDI learn function they are easy to reassign.

Saurus didn't have assignments in place but again, very easy to assign them via MIDI learn function. Within seconds I was working away laying down tracks and adjusting any parameters I wanted within Saurus with my MPK249.

The controller works great with VSTi plugins as long as they have MIDI learn. So far I haven't done much or had any luck with trying to control functions within ACID with the MPK249. My Faderport however works great for ACID mixer functions such as the fader and pan, markers for the time line and Play, pause, stop, etc. If you have a faderport there is a preset within Preferences/Controllers and Automation that you just need to select and I also added it into the MIDI preferences although I'm not sure yet if that is necessary as well.

I have lots more to work through and will share it with you here as I work out the details. If there is a question you have or something you want me to try out or find for you let me know and I'll give it a try. So far so good. I'm pretty pleased with ACID 8.0.7 and how it is allowing me to work with MIDI and my VSTi Synths. The Piano Roll editor has been a pleasure to work with.

One thing I would add. There have been complaints about how ACID won't save presets with the VSTi instruments. That is incorrect and is simply a user error. You need to save presets within the ACID VSTi properties box and not within the VSTi instrument itself. If you save a preset with the Save as function or load one the Open function at the top of the properties box and then save your ACID project the preset is retained. The project will open with the correct preset.

Hope this helps, let me us know how you do, and good luck!!!

Will