Advice on not losing files when I re-image my computer (or in general)

Jeff11111 wrote on 11/10/2021, 6:15 PM

Hi, I've got Samplitude Pro X4 Suite on my Laptop which I permanently use on loan from my school where I work. I use it to record my own music releases & edit/mix/produce other sound projects.

My work needs to wipe all files from my computer to re-image it, then restore it back to how it was...hopefully...& I'm looking for tips & advice on how to prepare for this. I'm wary that I will lose files or that the location of files will change when they try to restore it all. In the past I've had issues with opening a project to find that Samplitude can't locate files as they may have been accidentally moved, maybe, or even the wrong files in the wrong project & sometimes the files are mixed up & placed at the wrong point in a song?!?! Which means I either had to re-record those tracks, obviously at great cost in time, $$$, stress etc, or give up & move on. I never really got to the bottom of that but it happened multiple times, so now I'm always wary. So, I'm hoping not to repeat this when re-imaging the computer. Any general help on how to avoid this in the future would also be really valuable!

Nowadays I normally use a portable hard drive to store all of my projects on & to work from, but there is 1 project that is just on my laptop. I've backed it up to my hard drive but I'm still wary due to the issues in the past that I mentioned above.

Please excuse my lack of tech knowledge or jargon, but all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance, Jeff
p.s. I purchased the Samplitude Pro X5 suite upgrade in 2020 but I'm still waiting for my work to do the re-image before I install it.