adjust recording levels in Audio Studio 16?

Robert-Tycko wrote on 3/5/2022, 5:24 PM

I am recording with a microphone in Sound Forge Audio Studio 16. The channel meters are displayed. But the channel meters do not show anything until the recording is finished and I play it back. I would like to use the channel meters to adjust my microphone gain before starting a recording. How can I adjust the recording levels before starting a recording?

In an earlier version of this software, it was possible to test the recording levels before starting a recording. Now it seems that I can not adjust the levels without making a test recording, see what the levels are when I play it back, make adjustments, and try again.

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/6/2022, 10:36 AM

The channel meters are displayed. But the channel meters do not show anything until the recording is finished

You are likely viewing the playback meters.
Open a 'new file' (
File> New), then open the 'Record Options' window (View> Record Options) and enable the 'record ready' mode (Transport> Arm)... or use the pertinent keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+Alt+5 ; Ctrl+Shift+A.... and Ctrl+R to commence and pause recording (there is also an option to rewind to the start point in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu in lieu of pause, which will overwrite the previous recorded audio when recording is recommenced).
Select 'Transport>Stop' to terminate recording, then save the new audio file (preferably in the PCM <.wav> format to maintain quality for further editing.. Save.. then 'Save as' in a lossy file type (MP3 for instance) if that is the desired distribution format.. To save drive space. the PCM file can be deleted if there is no further editing.

The record level must be adjusted at the source (preamp) or in the PCs audio interface (soundcard) depending on your set-up.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Robert-Tycko.

David-Barselow wrote on 6/4/2023, 7:23 PM

O.K. How can I adjust audio level inside Sound Forge 16

rraud wrote on 6/5/2023, 10:02 AM

How can I adjust audio level inside Sound Forge 16

The record level cannot be adjusted within Sound Forge. That is done at the source, preamp or soundcard/interface.
After recording, there are a few ways to change the level (amplitude). See this recent thread.
If you wish to change the monitor volume without changing the file's amplitude, that is done at the soundcard/interface, or in your monitor system. In SF Pro however, there is a output level adjustment in the 'Hardware meter' window (View menu).