Comments

SP. wrote on 11/26/2023, 4:28 PM

@MCREATOR You can use the on-screen keyboard included in Samplitude. The keyboard at the bottom of the Vita Instruments window only creates sounds but does not output MIDI notes.

To record MIDI notes from the Samplitude on-screen keyboard make sure to set your track to MIDI record in the track settings or recording settings, for example make a right click on the Arm Recording button in track header.

You can switch between audio recording (for example, from a microphone) and MIDI recording (for a VST instrument).

MCREATOR wrote on 11/26/2023, 11:04 PM

Thank you. Have the program up and flicking back and forth trying to make sense with your instructions. Thank you so much for helping. I can play my track and have the choir on the on screen key-board playing over the track but there is no record wave. No recording made on the track. Is it supposed to be an empty track or play over another? Is it supposed to be LoopBe internal MIDI or something else? when i right click options window. I have playback DEV vsti vita choir. I am lost. The solution is probably so simple.

SP. wrote on 11/27/2023, 7:25 AM

@MCREATOR Virtual Instruments are played by MIDI notes. You record the MIDI data, not the waveform. The wave is generated automatically in real-time out of the MIDI data or if your export your project as an audio file.

MCREATOR wrote on 11/27/2023, 9:02 AM

That makes some sense. I am sorry that this solution is far from my skills on this so far. Ok, let me ask should I save the song track as an audio file them load it up and use the on screen keyboard? Also another nut question, shouldn't I see a recorded wave for when hitting recorded and playing keys? I thought when the tracks are there and hit the on screen keyboard it would add to its own track made along the others. Then mix it? That is what gets me. I can play the on screen keyboard with the song, hit record and no wave in the track recorded. I think that is what is messing my brain up. Everything else just came easy until I decided to add the on screen keyboard. (The wave is generated automatically in real-time out of the MIDI data or if your export your project as an audio file) .I am on the edge of understanding this.

SP. wrote on 11/27/2023, 8:31 PM

@MCREATOR Have you tried to open the demo Vita Instrument project? Maybe it's easier to understand if you see how MIDI notes play the virtual instruments.

Can you please upload a screenshot of the keyboard you are trying to use? Maybe it's the incorrect one? Click on the blue arrow icon above the response text box to upload images to this forum.

emmrecs wrote on 11/28/2023, 3:51 AM

@MCREATOR

You wrote:

I can play the on screen keyboard with the song, hit record and no wave in the track recorded.

(I have deliberately bolded those final words.)

As @SP. explained to you, when you "play" any keyboard, onscreen or external, using an internal instrument (e.g. Vita) to produce the sound, what is "recorded" is MIDI data not any sort of audio data, hence no wave in the track.

If, having completed a recording, you go to the MIDI Editor you will see a representation of that data (a series of "dots" and "lines"). MIDI is, essentially, a control protocol which contains NO audio but all the commands to send to any VST instrument to tell it exactly which note(s) to play, for how long, how loud, etc., etc.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 11/28/2023, 4:39 AM

@MCREATOR

Hi

To add to the above comments, the image below shows the Midi Editor panel from Music Maker as an example - I do not have Samplitude

The column/pane, on the left, shows the 'instructions' that are contained in a MIDI file or 'recorded as you play the keyboard.

These instructions are passed to the VST to generate the sound you hear.

The right pane is the 'visual representation of each note the VST will play.

Here is a good example/explanation of early 'MIDI' pianos.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/28/2023, 9:59 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 11/28/2023, 9:14 AM

@MCREATOR

Hi,

Are you using Samplitude Pro X or Samplitude Music Studio, and which version?

Here is a link to Kraznet's YouTube channel where you will find detailed tutorials on just about everything. I suggest that you start by watching those and by reading the manual and Samplitude Tutorials_EN.pdf. Do a search of your computer for this file.

Note that you cannot use the on-screen keyboard that is at the bottom of an instrument to record. It is for previewing only. As a minimum, you have to use the actual Samplitude on-screen keyboard.

If you want to reduce overhead, you can Freeze a track that is using a VST instrument. This will replace the MIDI object(s) with a wave object. You can unfreeze to get the MIDI back.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

MCREATOR wrote on 12/9/2023, 11:42 PM

I am using 2023 Samplitude. I am sure the answer is easy but as a begiiner its difficult. I have a made track i made with samlitude and hoping it was easy to add another track and extend that track options and add the keyboard choir plug in and start playing sounds( still have no clue how to add the desktop keyboard as keys instead so its a one finger deal till i understand that level.) I hear my keys playing as the track is playing but there is no recorded wave sound added on that adding track. I love this program so much so I am hoping to learn everything I can. I am so greatful for lessons.

MCREATOR wrote on 12/10/2023, 11:51 PM

@MCREATOR

Hi,

Are you using Samplitude Pro X or Samplitude Music Studio, and which version?

Here is a link to Kraznet's YouTube channel where you will find detailed tutorials on just about everything. I suggest that you start by watching those and by reading the manual and Samplitude Tutorials_EN.pdf. Do a search of your computer for this file.

Note that you cannot use the on-screen keyboard that is at the bottom of an instrument to record. It is for previewing only. As a minimum, you have to use the actual Samplitude on-screen keyboard.

If you want to reduce overhead, you can Freeze a track that is using a VST instrument. This will replace the MIDI object(s) with a wave object. You can unfreeze to get the MIDI back.

John CB

MCREATOR wrote on 12/10/2023, 11:53 PM

I am using 2023 Samplitude. I am sure the answer is easy but as a begiiner its difficult. I have a made track i made with samlitude and hoping it was easy to add another track and extend that track options and add the keyboard choir plug in and start playing sounds( still have no clue how to add the desktop keyboard as keys instead so its a one finger deal till i understand that level.) I hear my keys playing as the track is playing but there is no recorded wave sound added on that adding track. I love this program so much so I am hoping to learn everything I can. I am so greatful for lessons.

do you mean...for ( you have to use the actual Samplitude on-screen keyboard.) do you mean start a new track and add new plug in Sythn chior? I do and can play over the song with the plug in but there is no recorded wave of sound. I am confused on this.

MCREATOR wrote on 12/11/2023, 12:19 AM

Hi guys. New to this program. I have a track made and have the vts plug in magix vita choir and can hear the keyboard as i play it over the track but there is no recording wave created and there is no recording it together jamming it as the track plays. Please help.

trying to figure it out Still cannot make ant wave recorded

SP. wrote on 12/11/2023, 4:24 PM

@MCREATOR I saw in your private message that you set LoopBe MIDI as your MIDI input. This will not generate you any MIDI messages. It's basically a virtual cable that is connected to your track input but its other side is connected to nothing.

The internal MIDI keyboard (linke seen in the screenshot above) should be accessible via the View menu, if I remember it correctly. This should give you the ability to input MIDI notes via your mouse or computer keyboard.

MCREATOR wrote on 12/18/2023, 8:57 AM

@MCREATOR I saw in your private message that you set LoopBe MIDI as your MIDI input. This will not generate you any MIDI messages. It's basically a virtual cable that is connected to your track input but its other side is connected to nothing.

The internal MIDI keyboard (linke seen in the screenshot above) should be accessible via the View menu, if I remember it correctly. This should give you the ability to input MIDI notes via your mouse or computer keyboard.

Thank you so much for reading and trying to help me. So green on this program. Just trying to understand your message.(The internal MIDI keyboard (linke seen in the screenshot above) should be accessible via the View menu, if I remember it correctly. I think you are speaking about the screenshot I sent you. I did have is as LoopBee and not sure what it should be. I love this program and want to figure this out. When I add track and try to plug in the instrument I wonder If I am messing up what I do there.

SP. wrote on 12/18/2023, 11:11 AM

@MCREATOR

Just trying to understand your message.(The internal MIDI keyboard (linke seen in the screenshot above) should be accessible via the View menu, if I remember it correctly. I think you are speaking about the screenshot I sent you. I did have is as LoopBee and not sure what it should be.

No, I'm talking about the on-screen-keyboard.