Activating MMM 2021 on a 2 CPU workstation

Eleyan wrote on 11/23/2023, 11:25 PM

I'm using a Dell Precision T7810 V3 Tower, 64 based Windows 10 Pro, with 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 @ 2.50GHz and 32GB ram.

Qn: Just wondering (for anyone who uses windows 10) when you loaded up your magix software for Music production/recording, did your software load up all the VST 2 & 3 files in 2 locations, i.e. "Programs" and also "Programs (x64bit)"? It was doing that on my desktop workstation that has 2 Cpu's last night.

And last night I downloaded MMM2021, but wasn't able to activate my Magix 2021 licence on a x2 CPU tower and then the PSU malfunctioned, and the company replaced that tower today with the tower workstation listed above. Is there a particular process to go through when loading Magix 2021 on a desktop that has more than one CPU? Magix seems to just auto choose the saving location, it is automated, hence the double up of files.

Comments

SP. wrote on 11/24/2023, 8:00 AM

@Eleyan VST3 plugins need to be stored in certain locations (Program Files/Common Files/). These is defined in the VST3 standard.

VST2 plugins cannot be stored there and they have no specific location, so every developer handles this differently. So the VST2 plugins go wherever the developer wants them to go.

Since this confused a lot of people (typical question: what is a VST path and why need I to scan it?) VST3 introduced a common base path which is automatically found and scanned by your DAW.

gjonny wrote on 11/24/2023, 4:41 PM

@Eleyan
>> Is there a particular process to go through when loading Magix 2021 on a desktop that has more than one CPU?  
Just to clarify: "Magix" is the company that develops and sells a number of products, including Music Maker.  So when you say "Magix 2021", I think you're actually meaning Music Maker 2021?  

I've not seen any reference in the MM Help or here in this forum that the number of CPUs/cores affects installation of Music Maker.  And, extending @SP. 's answer . . . there is no connection between VST locations and the number of CPUs or cores.

Since you mentioned "2 CPUs" . . . 
(you may know about this already, if so then just ignore)
A multi-cpu/core system can help improve audio performance.  In the Audio/Midi tab in the Program Settings window, there is a checkbox for "Maximum Performance" -- make sure this is ticked.  The screenshot (below) is from MM2024, the wording in MM2021 may be a bit different.