ACID Pro/Music Studio still a valid tool/DAW choice in todays market?

GRB wrote on 6/25/2024, 7:16 PM

Hello All,

For those of you who have some ACID Pro/Music Studio experience....

Can you please comment on:

---Can anyone with experience with ACID production, explain as if to a class of students interested in Music Production, what makes ACID workflow and creative features different than just using other Magix options or even other DAWs? ....even if just a few things as a purposed "tool"....

I know you are out there, so please share your experience and insight. I'd really love to understand more, and I'm sure others will appreciate the info now/in future too!

thanks so much!

Cheers and may the Music Season be 24/7/365 !

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

Comments

GRB wrote on 6/26/2024, 4:35 PM

I've somewhat answered (or started to answer) my own questions here with a few google searches, and video's watched... That led me to once again take another look at my Acid Pro 10 that I own... looked around, got familiar with it again, and after watching some videos of it in action, started throwing together a quick idea with loops.... I am just scraping the surface of what it can do and all the features available, but I was able to put together an idea pretty darn fast compared to many other DAWs I own and have tried... This included making adjustments to make it all blend better the way I heard it in my head... and I was able to figure out everything without having to stop and look up how to do certain things... That in itself is big points at my humble level of production/ideas captured. It was quite painless, fun, and flowing... no hiccups I might add too for the weary.... I'd like to also add that I don't stop the project when I'm looking around, sampling different loops, and dragging and dropping... or even making fake in's/outs, moving objects around, setting levels, copy/pasting, creating new tracks, moving whole tracks around for ideas, etc..... again, I had no hiccups with it running the whole time.....

At this point, I'm kind of glad I've had problems getting Acid Music Studio 11 to work on my newer Win 11 computer, as it made me reconsider trying AP10 once again.... and I later found out in looking into installer file details, that AMS11 is dated 2018-2019 in a few file places, and Acid Pro 10 is actually dated 2020-2022 in the same areas... Who Knew.... Who'd a thunk..... So far seems to run fine on my Win 11 laptop.

Now if I can convince Magix to offer up the AP11 update they have to AP10 users too (same core program)... and also a direct link in User Account for AP11 without need to update it later (to avoid the dreaded 2013 Redistributable issues, and/or other issues) for those that have/want the newest AP11 edition.....

I'd like to have AP11 now that I am "getting" more the whole Acid love thing... but $69 upgrade cost is a lot for same program and one significant bug fix over AP10... Imho. I don't care about the 3rd party stuff in AP11, I already own most of it... I just want the AP11 core program with the newest update/bug fix included.... or maybe even just open up the same version update/bug fix to AP10 owners... for free!!!

Thats not crazy talk is it, all considered?

Magix Team knows I"m persistent and really trying (and have been) for a long time here.... :)

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

GRB wrote on 6/26/2024, 4:40 PM

I also forgot I had bought, long ago, an ACID Pro tutorial series at Groove3 years ago.... I'll dive into that soon too!

... along with all of Magix cool tutorials on the "startup Screen"... yes, I have to admit I never really paused there to check them out... thats on me for sure! What a great feature to have available for learning/reference.

Thanks Magix Team!

PS Now send me AP11 as an early "honest promoter" Xmas present, LOL

πŸ˜ŽπŸŽΆβœŒοΈπŸ‘πŸ’―

SP. wrote on 6/26/2024, 5:16 PM

@GRBΒ I think it's important to know that Acid is a product of the late 1990s and it's workflow was pretty new back then.

In most other DAWs you had to input MIDI data to control samplers, or to record your own audio tracks by playing your own instruments. So you either needed to buy hardware samplers or had to be able to play an instrument.

In Acid you could simply arrange pre-made audio loops, so you didn't need other hardware or instruments, you didn't even know how to play an instrument. So it was made for an easy entrance into the world of song creation.

Back then you had similar programs for arranging audio loops like Magix Music Maker or eJay.

GRB wrote on 6/26/2024, 8:34 PM

@GRBΒ I think it's important to know that Acid is a product of the late 1990s and it's workflow was pretty new back then.

In most other DAWs you had to input MIDI data to control samplers, or to record your own audio tracks by playing your own instruments. So you either needed to buy hardware samplers or had to be able to play an instrument.

In Acid you could simply arrange pre-made audio loops, so you didn't need other hardware or instruments, you didn't even know how to play an instrument. So it was made for an easy entrance into the world of song creation.

Back then you had similar programs for arranging audio loops like Magix Music Maker or eJay.

Thanks for input and info SP.

I can only imagine how cool ACID must have been in 90's with its abilities and workflow....

In trying too many DAWs over the years (too many years at that), "Tire Kicking" them, I can honestly say that I like ACID's features and workflow.... Loop based creations, and getting ideas down fast especially. I'm sure it does lots more than that once familiar inside and out, but that alone is a worthy tool/addition for home studio productions imo.

I'm working on Magix for idea of releasing the AP11 bug fix to AP10 registered owners... or super discounted Core Program only option to stay as current as avail (since they are basically the same Core). I don't need/care about the 3rd party stuff for v11 myself. Maybe any Magix goodies, but I'm pretty sure it didn't offer any new Magix features/content between 10 and 11. If so, I missed that info....

I do like my new MM2025 lots, and MM Soundpool handling/workflow too. Similar to Acid, but different enought to like and want ACID still. I think the two together "on hand" make a great tool coverage depending on what doing, or how you feel going about it. Throw in a more traditional DAW like Magix Samplitude or any other popular DAW, even Sound Forge Pro for more serious focused Recording/Mixing/Mastering duties should cover most peoples needs for sure. We are all spoiled with options compared to the $$$ Tape n Hardware days.....

Β 

GRB wrote on 6/27/2024, 11:12 AM

For the record to all ACID users/potential users....

There is a difference in AMS11 and AP10 core program... Pro 10 is newer as it turns out, and way more powerful too of course...

My Win 11 laptop does not like AMS11, but AP10 installs, locates folders and instruments, and functions Great!

That by design, should mean that Pro 11 should too!!!... with additional 3rd party add-ons, and Magix content.. along with a supposedly very important bug fix update in Pro 11 that hopefully will get retro offered to AP10 folks too.

Hope this helps at least one person in future for clarity on what to do, and what to expect πŸ˜ŽπŸ’―πŸ‘βœŒοΈπŸŽΆ

GRB wrote on 6/29/2024, 10:06 PM

So I've since been made aware that "not everyone" ran into the Vst issue in ACID Pro, but the fix that released in AP11 took care of it for those who experienced it apparently.

I have since decided to upgrade my AP10 to AP11 in my newer Windows 11 laptop and couldn't be happier!

I did have some issues with both AP versions in previous years on my older Win 10 desktop (about 8+ years old consumer grade machine), but it was also having issues with other programs and files/folders, etc, so not necessarily a Magix only thing. Some people had "installer issues" and some did not or found easy fix's here in forum and/or with Magix Support help, I did too, past and present. They have always been good and attentive with me over the years, so I'm not sure why some say they never respond or were no help... opposite of all of my own experiences actually.

I will post more of my Review and Opinion here soon.

jcksn82chrvl wrote on 9/1/2024, 2:40 PM

A cannot record in 24bit in Acid Pro11. Only in 16 bit. When I tried in 24 bit, I recorded some random noise. Anybody faced with the same problem? With Audacity I can do it without any problem (however not in several channels in the same time).

I suggest to try it before buy it (if it is possible).

Sir_Caramel wrote on 9/3/2024, 8:29 PM

Just visited Magix site to check for AP10 updates after some time away and saw this post.

I think customer support, bugs and upgrading are an issue. I bought AP10 and less than 4 weeks later AP11 was released. When I wrote to customer service to ask to be upgraded, as I had just bought the DAW, they said no and gave no possible upgrade path apart from buying AP11.

I did really enjoy the large AP10 library of sounds and extra software, but that lack of any positive response really annoyed me, so I jumped ship and moved to Steinberg. Getting the UR24c gave me a free Cubase Elements and Cubasis license, which meant I could upgrade slowly and have a similar DAW on both PC and Ipad. Far more stable, less bugs and customer service is much better.

In terms of work flow, I was used to Acid, as had version 5 years ago. I do find it more intuitive than Cubase, but the little niggles and freezes I sometimes have to contend with blight the experience to a degree.

I enjoy having Cubase on a permanent setup at home and then essentially a stripped-down version of the same DAW on my ipad that I can doodle with when out and about (and also know it's a fully fledged DAW if I connect up a keyboard and audio interface) - that is an amazing advantage.

Β 

GRB wrote on 9/3/2024, 8:44 PM

Just visited Magix site to check for AP10 updates after some time away and saw this post.

I think customer support, bugs and upgrading are an issue. I bought AP10 and less than 4 weeks later AP11 was released. When I wrote to customer service to ask to be upgraded, as I had just bought the DAW, they said no and gave no possible upgrade path apart from buying AP11.

I did really enjoy the large AP10 library of sounds and extra software, but that lack of any positive response really annoyed me, so I jumped ship and moved to Steinberg. Getting the UR24c gave me a free Cubase Elements and Cubasis license, which meant I could upgrade slowly and have a similar DAW on both PC and Ipad. Far more stable, less bugs and customer service is much better.

In terms of work flow, I was used to Acid, as had version 5 years ago. I do find it more intuitive than Cubase, but the little niggles and freezes I sometimes have to contend with blight the experience to a degree.

I enjoy having Cubase on a permanent setup at home and then essentially a stripped-down version of the same DAW on my ipad that I can doodle with when out and about (and also know it's a fully fledged DAW if I connect up a keyboard and audio interface) - that is an amazing advantage.

Β 

I understand. I did end up getting AP11, and it seems to be ok for the most part, but I honestly have been away from it, and music making for awhile with the "life stuff" going on and keeping me busy. I think everything you mentioned is valid and other brands like Cubase, have a lot to offer someone looking to try out something new. Thank you for writing in and taking the time to be honest about it all.