ACID PRO MOST STABLE VERSION??!!!!

DyReck411 wrote on 6/23/2023, 10:14 PM

Just wanted everyone's opinion on which version they consider was the most stable and reliable version of Acid Pro ?..Which version did not crash all the time Lol ?..I did most of my work on Acid Pro 7 but it still crashed alot..Funny the one daw that didn't crash on me was Acid Music Studio 10..It might have crashed once or twice but that was it.

Comments

SP. wrote on 6/23/2023, 11:57 PM

@DyReck411 Users reported that Acid runs much more stable if you load VST plugins not directly inside Acid but via another plugin, for example Waves Studio Rack.

Former user wrote on 6/24/2023, 10:31 AM

I think a good mitigation against these issues is...

Using Stock ACID Pro plug-ins wherever possible, and only using third party VST[3] plug-ins as a last resort. If you have a choice between VST2 and VST3, always use the VST2 as MAGIX's VST3 Engine has historically been problematic. Even in Samplitude Pro X7 it was problematic (though they do tend to (or at least attempt to) fix things there, even if it takes months).

The vast majority of stock ACID Pro plug-ins will avoid the VST engine entirely, as they are DirectX plug-ins.

This DAW was designed for layering Loops and Samples and mixing them. I think until a lot more under-the-hood work is put into it, that's the only thing it should be used for. The stability puts your work at risk, and often when you get a crash and try to restore from the crash, you simply open up what caused the crash and end up in an instability loop... you lose your work de facto).

DyReck411 wrote on 6/24/2023, 8:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions fellas..But I don't even use plugins when I work with Acid Pro Lol ..And it still crashes on me..I make beats by sampling, chopping and forming loops..I don't really use plugins..When ever I make a quick transition like pressing play then quickly moving a sample on the grid Acid would crash on me lol..It doesn't happen all the time but it happens.

Phalen wrote on 6/27/2023, 10:45 PM

I've been using Acid as my main mixing DAW for over 20 years and I have never found it to be any more unstable than any other computer program, let alone DAW. Quite the opposite. I started on 3.0, and I cut my first records on 5.0, and I think I ran Acid 7 for about a decade from 200x-2001x. It has always had its issues (lack of support being one), but handling heavy editing and 3rd party effects is not a limitation I've come across. In my personal experience/workflow it continues to be the best composition/editing/mixing program of all time. Maybe it's about the system specs?

I have always used third party plug-ins with it. In particular, these days my main chains involve effects from Valhalla, Soundtoys, Black Rooster, some random brainworx noise-makers, and a bunch of "ancient" 2000s-era plugins (Nasty DLA MKII for life! And the fishbones/endorphin kit. Plus "samplecalc" and things like that, etc.). I run VST3 and VST2 instances (sometimes one does work better than the other, I'll admit (again, support issues))... some of them are really old 32-bit FX builds that were abandoned a decade ago and they still run fine.

I also have outboard FX (compressor, delays, modulation, etc.) and I find Acid is more than capable of complex routing with its mix/FX busses. I do a lot of re-amping through my guitar pedal board so maybe I'm not straining the system like y'all are. I'm not one of those "100 tracks" kind of guys. 24 is usually more than enough for me.

I'm not saying everything works flawlessly, but what do y'all mean by "crash all the time?" Are you setting up 12 drum mics, and 3 guitar mics, and a 2 bass DIs/mics, and trying to run all that through in-the-box effects and feed it to a live band in their stage monitors in real time?

JC-in-LA wrote on 6/28/2023, 1:31 PM

I've been using Acid as my main mixing DAW for over 20 years and I have never found it to be any more unstable than any other computer program, let alone DAW. Quite the opposite. I started on 3.0, and I cut my first records on 5.0, and I think I ran Acid 7 for about a decade from 200x-2001x. It has always had its issues (lack of support being one), but handling heavy editing and 3rd party effects is not a limitation I've come across. In my personal experience/workflow it continues to be the best composition/editing/mixing program of all time. Maybe it's about the system specs?

I have always used third party plug-ins with it. In particular, these days my main chains involve effects from Valhalla, Soundtoys, Black Rooster, some random brainworx noise-makers, and a bunch of "ancient" 2000s-era plugins (Nasty DLA MKII for life! And the fishbones/endorphin kit. Plus "samplecalc" and things like that, etc.). I run VST3 and VST2 instances (sometimes one does work better than the other, I'll admit (again, support issues))... some of them are really old 32-bit FX builds that were abandoned a decade ago and they still run fine.

I also have outboard FX (compressor, delays, modulation, etc.) and I find Acid is more than capable of complex routing with its mix/FX busses. I do a lot of re-amping through my guitar pedal board so maybe I'm not straining the system like y'all are. I'm not one of those "100 tracks" kind of guys. 24 is usually more than enough for me.

I'm not saying everything works flawlessly, but what do y'all mean by "crash all the time?" Are you setting up 12 drum mics, and 3 guitar mics, and a 2 bass DIs/mics, and trying to run all that through in-the-box effects and feed it to a live band in their stage monitors in real time?

I have not been able to get my blockfish/endorphin/digitalfishphones vst's to work ever since I got a new Windows 11 computer. What are your computer specs and how are you getting the 32bit stuff to work? I want to be able to use endorphin again!