Acid Pro 10: Volume Envelopes on MIDI tracks are inconsistent

Peter-Elfman wrote on 2/18/2021, 12:44 PM

I'm currently working on a track with a hefty pile of MIDI tracks. I'm trying to master the entire piece, and I have noticed that dropping a volume envelope on a MIDI track does not have predictable results. Sometimes it works way too well, drastically changing volume with the slightest adjustment, or not at all, where the MIDI part will play at 100% regardless of the envelope tells it to do. Since the issue is inconsistent, I'm having difficulty troubleshooting the issue. Any thoughts or suggestions from you guru's out there?

Comments

Former user wrote on 2/18/2021, 7:58 PM

Hey bud, this is one area I can't answer right off of the bat as I never use Midi data within Acid Pro but let me make a song with all midi and get back to you. In the meantime, tell me, the volume pan messes up on what midis? on 3rd party synths or magix'?

Peter-Elfman wrote on 2/18/2021, 8:10 PM

Hey bud, this is one area I can't answer right off of the bat as I never use Midi data within Acid Pro but let me make a song with all midi and get back to you. In the meantime, tell me, the volume pan messes up on what midis? on 3rd party synths or magix'?

So, there are two issues; sometimes, the volume changes, sometimes it doesn't.
Secondly, on the track where the volume envelop is obeyed, there doesn't seem to be any fine control. I admit that might be a learning curve thing; I'm going for a slow increase over the length of maybe 16 bars, and the track seems to just jump to full volume right near the end.

I hadn't considered checking to see if the MIDI voice/plugin might be something to look at. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
For the track that has no effect by the envelop, I'm using DN-e1, which came with the software (I don't know if that counts as being built in or not), and for the track with the inconsistent volume change, I'm rocking VITA Urban Drums by Magix (hmmm! that's not suspicious at all!!!). It's my phat kick-drum line that has noooo subtlety right now. lol

Former user wrote on 2/18/2021, 9:56 PM

Ya, let me recreate this on my system and I will get back to you. Keep making music!

Former user wrote on 2/18/2021, 11:42 PM

Peter, I don't use Magix' plugins due to unstability but I re-installed them and started a song with DNe1 and yes, the volume automation had no affect. I used other synths and they all work. DNe1 supposedly a generic AP synth. Frank Fader has asked to report this. So, if he is reading this, he can log this as a bug as well.

However, I just pulled in a Urban Drums directly onto the arrangment and it works with volume automation

Peter-Elfman wrote on 2/19/2021, 1:40 AM

@Former user, thanks for checking it out and sharing what you found. I have discovered the timelines for the buses. I can apply the envelopes there and they work fine, no matter the voice.

Every step of these last 3 projects have made me level up my skills in this program. :D