Acid Music Studio 11 unusable to a novice.

Jonah-McIntosh wrote on 11/12/2022, 5:15 PM

Hi. So I got Acid Music Studio 11 in a humble bundle some years ago and I just recently tried to use this for the first time for a personal project. After two hours of attempt to learn the product off of tutorials, I have resolved that this product is too user unfriendly to function for me.

Some examples include: It's non-trivial to even get a midi track to record input during a record. Changing the synth selection appears to have no effect on the audio played. Acid 11 plays imported audio distorted by default. And it might not even be a feature of the product, but I attempted to use a custom audio file to function as an instrument in a midi track and am completely lost as how to do that.

I recognize that some tools are not meant for people who didn't take college courses to learn to use the tool, but not clearly communicating that your program is not for novices is a feelbad moment.

Perhaps it's too much to ask that more programs function as user friendly as Audacity for example, but I can't help but feel that users are being turned away in this exchange.

There's my two cents, take it or leave it, I won't be back.

Comments

SP. wrote on 11/12/2022, 6:04 PM

@Jonah-McIntosh To play custom audio files as an instrument with MIDI you need to use a sampler VST.

It looks like you found an answer for your distortion problem here https://www.magix.info/us/forum/solved-acid-11-some-sounds-are-distorted-while-others-aren-t--1281156/

I'm not sure what your synth problem is about without a more detailed description of what you are doing.

DAWs are hard to learn if you never used one. I don't think that two hours are enough. Even if you already mastered a different DAW like Cubase or Studio One or Reaper, ACID has a somewhat different workflow and is more about an intuitive way of drawing audio loops into tracks to generate song structures. It was originally made back in the 1990s during the time when Techno had it's peak popularity and computers got powerful enough for people to create their own Techno songs without complex MIDI sequencing of synthesizers.