Comments

rraud wrote on 2/9/2022, 11:10 AM

Aside from Wave Hammer (I and II), I see a few "limiters" listed in "Fx Favorites> Organize". All of the "Compressors" listed can also be used as a peak limiter. Which reminds me1980s NYC AES show (sarcastic) question card "is the compressor limiting or is the limiter compressing?".

.. further off topic, I further recall AES was giving out roulette wheel type cards to help deciding whether to wire XLR connectors with pin 2 or 3 hot... There was no standard polarity at the time.

Former user wrote on 2/9/2022, 2:04 PM

@rraud Okay, so Wave Hammer is a compressor that can be used as a limiter. Indeed, Core/Wizard/Essential FX all have limiters, but am experimenting on projects just using the SFP tools in effects chains to hear how that sounds. During research, I only saw a tutorial from the Sony era using a drop down option of Graphics Dynamics as a limiter. Surprising when you think of it, as limiters are featured in most dynamics plugin packages.

rraud wrote on 2/9/2022, 5:23 PM

Wave Hammer (legacy version) has a compressor/limiter stage and a secondary volume maximizer stage. A volume maximizer is an infinity:1 peak limiter but has an auto volume make up circuit... as you are probably aware, when the threshold on a typical comp/limiter is lowered the output volume drops. A 'limiter' is basically a compressor with high gain-reduction ratio, usually said to be10:1 dB or more. A 'brick-wall' type peak limiter has a reduction ratio of infinity:1 dB.
For a detailed description of dynamics tools (and a wealth of other audio knowledge) pickup John Woram's "The Recording Studio Handbook"

Former user wrote on 2/9/2022, 8:21 PM

@rraud Thanks. I did a search on Wavehammer and there are a lot of newb users also asking what it does. For pro's, it is readily apparent. For newbs, not so much. So it looks like the native SFP limiter is now located. 😀