"%-1 is not a Valid Win32 Application" when installing Music Maker

Christopher-Burke wrote on 9/24/2018, 2:24 AM

Dear Everyone.

It's the latest version of Music Maker, tried downloading it a couple of days ago, never heard of it before but it looked very cool! It just won't install. It gives the error message in the title every time.

I've tried a couple of re-downloads, no good. Still get that.

I've got a PC with Windows XP SP3 on it, if that helps at all. If this is a MAC only product or LINUX only or something (I'm not brilliant with OS's!) can you tell me? Or if it doesn't like XP (I have to use XP because of my other software) can you tell me a version of Music Maker that does?

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 9/24/2018, 3:39 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

Music Maker is a 32 bit app but I would very strongly suspect that the latest version will NOT run or even install under Windows XP, sorry! After all XP is now, in computer terms, very old technology.

As to whether you can obtain an older version which will run under XP, I'm not all sure. You would need to contact Magix sales via the appropriate link on this page.

However, I have to say I think it is unlikely that they will be able to help. 😭

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Christopher-Burke wrote on 9/24/2018, 8:30 AM

Dear Jeff.

That's a real shame, I always thought all 32 bit apps would run under Windows XP because it's a 32 bit system. I wonder why they designed Music Maker so badly that it couldn't run under a 32 bit system even though it's a 32 bit app?

I hope they get the bugs out of it sometime so it can do! Oh, well

Yours respectfully,

Chris.

emmrecs wrote on 9/24/2018, 8:57 AM

@Christopher-Burke

The problem is NOT that Windows XP can run "all 32 bit apps" but rather that Microsoft have made changes to their OS over the years that have "forced" software manufacturers to adapt their programs to suit the demands of a specific OS. Having made those changes to "current" versions of the software, it is often not economically, or practically, feasible to make that same version of the software "backwards compatible" with any earlier OS.

IOW, Music Maker was not

designed ... so badly that it couldn't run under a 32 bit system

but rather that Microsoft "moved the goalposts".

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam