OS Startup Notification/Advertisement

Philip-J schreef op 27.02.2022 om 22:25 uur

When I start my computer, very often I get a popup notification in the bottom right corner telling me a version of Music Maker is available. There is no way to close the notification. I have to wait a minute or two until it goes away. I can't see how to disable or remove whatever process is putting up this notification/advertisement. Does anyone know how to uninstall it? I am already on Magix's emailing list for new products. Having an OS popup notification/advertisement is not necessary.

Reacties

SP. schreef op 27.02.2022 om 23:41 uur

@Philip-J

Open the Windows Taskmanager, go to the Autostart-Tab, check for a Magix software in this list, for example 'Update Notifier', disable it.

You can also uninstall it from Windows Apps and Features.

Magix asks during installation if you want to install this tool. You probably just clicked 'Yes' without checking what you installed. Be aware that this tool can be reinstalled if you run an installer again and just click 'Yes' to every option.

Philip-J schreef op 28.02.2022 om 14:19 uur

I'm on Windows 7 and the Task Manager doesn't have an Autostart Tab. I've looked under Control Panel, Installed Programs, and can't find the notifier, and run Msconfig, looked under Startup, and can't find the notifier there either. You are probably right I installed it by mistake during Magix Installation. I have an impression there was a deceptively worded option that implied it was necessary, and I decided not to risk declining.

Would you have any ideas what I can try now?

emmrecs schreef op 28.02.2022 om 15:31 uur

@Philip-J

It's a very long time since I used Win 7 but does your Task Manager have a "Startup" tab? If so, check there.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. schreef op 28.02.2022 om 16:04 uur

@Philip-J Yes, you can try to uninstall a program from Windows called something like Magix Cloud, Update Notifier, Magix Connect, Magix Network Sync.

Philip-J schreef op 01.03.2022 om 00:14 uur

The Task Manager doesn't have a Startup tab, unfortunately. There is a Processes tab that has hundreds of entries. I can't see anything to do with Magix there.

Within the list of programs that can be uninstalled, there is one called Connect, publisher Magix. That might be it, however the install date is in 2017. I am sure the notifications only started when I installed Music Maker Premium 2020 Edition. I am not sure I am safe to uninstall Connect. I probably installed it when I had to reinstall Music Maker 2014. I want MM 2014 to still work.

I think I'd better keep Connect to be sure MM 2014 still works. Thank you both for your help.

Graham-Hawker schreef op 01.03.2022 om 07:46 uur

You can uninstall Connect. That's the problem.

Philip-J schreef op 01.03.2022 om 23:13 uur

Hi Graham,

I have found the Connect application under Program Files X86 and renamed it to something else. I can rename it back if need be. I hope this trick will cause it not to be run. After a month or so of no problems, I will do the Uninstall.

Thanks for your help.

Philip-J schreef op 26.03.2022 om 15:12 uur

After waiting a few weeks without problems, I decided to uninstall Connect. I get a message, "Message File C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Connect\unins000.msg is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program"

Thoughts? I don't want to try to install Connect and I don't know how I would. Is it possible to get the unins000.msg file from somewhere?

Graham-Hawker schreef op 26.03.2022 om 17:40 uur

Did you rename Connect back to what it was before uninstalling?

Philip-J schreef op 26.03.2022 om 21:38 uur

Yes, I remembered to rename it back. Maybe when I renamed it, the date and timestamp changed and the uninstall routine not only looks at the name but date and time as well. If so, "unins000.msg is missing" is a rather cryptic way of saying so.

johnebaker schreef op 27.03.2022 om 13:14 uur

@Philip-J

Hi

The  "unins000.msg is missing" could be due to accidental deletion, uninstalled as a shared file of another program, or it is corrupt.

See this Microsoft article on how to unblock the uninstaller.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Laatst gewijzigd door johnebaker op 27.03.2022, 13:15, in totaal 1 keer gewijzigd.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Philip-J schreef op 27.03.2022 om 15:28 uur

Thanks, John EB. The Microsoft Troubleshooter Tool couldn't find Magix Connect in its list of installed programs and when I selected "not listed", it wanted me to enter the product code. I don't think I ever got a product code for Connect. I don't want to enter the codes I got for MM 2014 and MM 2021 Premium in case it uninstalls those programs.

The Magix Connect directory in Program Files (x86) takes up about 17 MB. Perhaps I can just delete that directory, although 17 MB isn't very much to just leave alone. I have stopped getting the OS notifications by renaming the Connect application from "connect" to "connectx". That was the initial problem and perhaps is the best that can be done.

Begadoc schreef op 18.12.2022 om 14:23 uur

This is an oldish thread but I hope no one object to my restarting it.
I have a copy of Magic Edit Pro Plus. When it starts it displays a splash screen that occupies most of my VDU space, not a discreet icon at the bottom corner. There is no way of deleting it short of rebooting.
This is ridiculous!
I will try some of the above if I can find the references as I am using WIndows 11. But are there any up to date comments on this?

SP. schreef op 18.12.2022 om 14:30 uur

@Begadoc There should be a gear icon in the bottom corner to disable it. There should also be the option to disable News via the program settings.

Philip-J schreef op 18.12.2022 om 14:32 uur

Music Maker puts up a splash screen at start up too, but it goes away after Continue is clicked on. Other people here will have better ideas about this than me. I only replied because I started the thread. Good luck.