How to use multiple USB Microphones simultaneously?

Joe34 schreef op 25.05.2015 om 15:33 uur

So I have two USB Mircophones that I am trying to use simultaneously to get stereo sound, or at least even sound. One is a Samson mircophone and the other is a CAD microphone. I'm trying to record audition music on a marimba, but it's like 7 feet long, so I'm trying to have one mic at each end. I can't seem to record with both at once, is there a way I can do this?

I am using Samplitude Music Studio 2014 on Windows 7 laptop

Do I need to do something with the MR-128?

Thanks

Reacties

gandjcarr schreef op 26.05.2015 om 05:51 uur

Hi,  There are analog mixers that will produce a USB output but they need analog microphones.  I know of no mixers that will take multiple USB microphones and mix them into a stereo or even a 2 channel mono USB output.  If anyone has ever heard of such a mixer I would love to hear about it. 

Wouldn't it be easier to use something like the Zoom H1 at the low end or the H4 or H6 at the higher end to record the Marimba in stereo and output that as a file to Samplitude?  All of the Zoom products have offset stereo microphones and provide USB outputs for either MP3 or WAV files.  Tascam, Roland, and Yamaha also make similar recorders. 

You did not mention the model of your USB microphones but unless they are studio quality, I think the Zoom approach may be more viable and economical for you.

George

johnebaker schreef op 31.05.2015 om 23:53 uur

Hi

In addition to Georges answer - the use of two different make/model microphones is not recommended the tonal responses and audio characterstics will be different.  It is important to use matched mics and the correct type for the instrument being recorded.

I would suggest a single stereo crossed pair microphone placed above the players head if you have a confined recording environment.

If you have tha space two identical microphones about 1.5.- 2.5 m from each end of the Marimba at or just below the level of the bars - below the bars increases the resonator sound levels; above the sound from the bars becomes predominant  - there will be a bit of trial and error to get the balance right.

HTH

John EB

Laatst gewijzigd door johnebaker op 31.05.2015, 23:54, in totaal 2 keer gewijzigd.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.