Will Movie Edit Pro ever provide importing using USB?

Confused wrote on 8/10/2009, 6:41 PM
I have an Sony HDR-SR11 high definition camcorder which does not provide a firewire connection.  It means that I have to copy the clips from the camcorder to the hard drive and then load them into Movie Edit Pro one at a time.  It would be extremely helpful to have USB import capabilities.

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 8/11/2009, 6:49 AM
There is no such thing as special "USB import capabilities". The kind of camera you're using doesn't require any capturing. It just requires that you connect the camera to your computer (via USB), tranfer the files and file-import them into Movie Edit Pro. The camera will connect as an external drive, which you can access in Windows or directly in Movie Edit Pro. This already works as it is and it's not a special feature. It's just a regular operation on the file system. The more important information for you is probably that you do *not* have to import the files one by one. When you're in the "Edit" stage of the program, you can do multi-selections and batch imports of a bigger number of files in the mediapool file browser. Just that file loading function in the initial import screen won't do the trick. So, maybe that's the information you were looking for.

asoeli wrote on 8/11/2009, 3:55 PM
When you are in Timeline mode, simply drag the selected files from the Media Pool with the mouse down to track no. 1! That's all I do !
ralftaro wrote on 8/12/2009, 3:42 AM
Hi again,

After doing the multi-selection in the mediapool, you'd drag & drop the files down into the timeline with your mouse. That will start the import process for all selected files.

I hope this helps.

ralftaro wrote on 8/12/2009, 9:54 AM
How exactly does it not work? What is that prompt you're referencing earlier, where you need to hit copy and ignore? Is that a message from the program itself or from the operating system? Maybe you can include a screen shot to illustrate the problem.

Just trying to figure out what's going on, so I can offer the right suggestions.

cheers

ralftaro wrote on 8/13/2009, 5:55 AM
Hi again,

When you post a new question or add to your existing question, there are a few icons and functions above the box where you enter your text. Between the smiley icon and the filmstrip icon to embed a video into your posting, you will also find a function to embed an image. The image can be remote-linked, if it's already hosted somewhere online, or can be uploaded from your local machine. You could also just upload your images to a photo-hosting website like Photobucket and post the URL here.

That said, I think I just figured out what message you're referring to. When you're importing AVCHD material in particular, the program will bring up several prompts to give you certain options for the specifics of the import. One of them is the choice between converting the AVCHD file to MPEG-2 for smoother editing ("Convert..." button) or editing it natively ("Ignore" button). Is that what you were referring to by any chance? It's true that this prompt will come up for every single file when you do a batch import. However, there's a checkbox that says "Don't show this message again" to override this and accept your choice as the default for all files during the import process. Just tick that and you'll be fine.

I hope this helps.