Why do I need to have audio turned on, when I don't want audio?

edisecure wrote on 9/15/2009, 11:20 AM
When attempting to do the screen capture under Record, I am given an option for how I want to record the audio. I tried exactly 11x in a row, and ended up with a movie file that was listed as "empty" and would not play. Searching your manuals and online help, I found no answers. However, by selecting to capture the audio anyway, it suddenly worked. I managed to remove the audio from the track afterward, but I find it extremely awkward that I have to capture audio I don't want, in order to get the video I need. What is wrong with this setup, and why do I need to capture audio? If I choose the option for No Recording under Audio, it apparently means "No Recording Period", because I don't even get the video. Any suggestions as to why that is?

Comments

Clevo wrote on 9/15/2009, 8:53 PM
I believe it depends on how audio is encoded in the video. Video files with seperate audio transport streams would allow you to capture either one but regular video files, especially those that have been compressed (wmv, MP4 etc) have embedded audio and can only be seperated in an editor that can split the audio from the video.

edisecure wrote on 9/15/2009, 9:08 PM
I don't think that answers my question, Clevo. Magix makes me choose to capture audio before I capture the video, and the only options for capture are variations of MPG or MVX. I eventually had to capture the audio even though I didn't need it, and simply deleted it aftwards, but I would prefer for software to work when it specifically gives me the option not to record the audio. I still don't know why that happens.
Clevo wrote on 9/16/2009, 3:19 AM
Sorry I couldn't help directly

To be honest I don't use Movie Edit Pro but if it's like lots of other pro-sumer video editing (capture-edit-export) then my answer still applies to an extent.

I'm sure if you tried imorting the audio only from say a DVD then you may find it works perfectly as the audio stream is seperate to the video. Same goes with DV-AVI type 2.

In most editors you can capture the video (with the audio) then split audio with the press of a button then delete the video with a couple of clicks and all you have is the audio track. Or vice versa

Sometimes one has to perform little work arounds to achieve a resolution quicker
ralftaro wrote on 9/16/2009, 8:54 AM
Hi,

I just tried it and it seems to work fine for me. I set up a screen recording session with the audio driver set to "No Recording", MXV format and captured a little YouTube clip. The video was recorded and came into the arranger afterwards with no audio track attached to it. Maybe a version difference? I understand from the other posts that you're using Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus, but have you already patched the program? My program is currently on version 8.6.1.0 (see "About" dialog in "Help" menu). Is yours possibly older? Then get the patch on the support website. This might make a difference.

Good luck!

edisecure wrote on 9/16/2009, 9:26 AM
I just bought it and it is listed a version 8.0.5.8, so I will look for the update patch. In the meantime, I tried using MVX User Defined with No Recording and it worked, too. That's how I got it to work yesterday. However, I then tried various MPEG options and they all failed, telling me that my captured video was "empty". Hopefully, the patch will fix that. Will keep you posted. Thanks.