Comments

BabaSikander wrote on 9/16/2008, 8:52 AM
Hi Johnc,

Since a limiter is nothing else than a compressor with a ultra-high ratio, I would not recommend it to "smoothen" the sound...

A "normal" compression ratio between 1.20 and 2.00 is definitely more adequate. So, just use the compressor to reduce high amplitudes and volume peaks - leave out the limiter...

Ciao,
Baba

NoTurning wrote on 9/17/2008, 8:35 AM
Hi John,
I would agree with Baba... use a compressor - it already has the "brick wall" limit funtion since a limiter is built into most, if not all, compressors. By using the compressor you are already employing a limiter. The trick is finding the right ratio.

This is where I prefer hardware over software. Magix has a vast array of software tools but many don't perform as well as the hardware.

Even though gear can be expensive there are products out there that are inexpensive and do many different functions. The Behringer Shark DSP110 is one such animal. It's under $80.00 and is a fantastic compressor/limiter. No recording artist should be without one. Check it out here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Shark-DSP110?sku=182463&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Justin