Web Designer Premium 19: Site navigation bar function not working!

doane wrote on 8/26/2022, 7:36 PM

When I uncheck the Site Navigation Bar box so that I can edit bars on sub pages on the site it keeps updating all the pages so if I remove two buttons on a lower level page, all the pages show that change and the two buttons are removed on all the other pages, not just on the page I want to have less buttons on.

Comments

doane wrote on 8/27/2022, 12:05 PM

I still had WebDesigner 15 installed, so I tried it with my site I'm building and got the same results... when I uncheck the Site Navigation Bar update box, it still doesn't allow me to change sub pages navigation bars, (or any other ones) it updates all of them... really frustrating as I have a large site and I have about 4 levels down from the main level that I don't want to have full of upper level bar buttons.

With v15 and 19 I also tried this with Xara template sites and I got the very same results. Someone please help.. I tried to go to the Xara/Magix Tech help page and I can't find a place to post my problem, it just keeps suggesting videos on Navigation Bars that don't mention this problem. 😡

johnebaker wrote on 8/27/2022, 3:09 PM

@doane

Hi

If i am understanding what you are trying to do then this is one method - hopefully it is self explanatory:

Note I did not alter the alignment etc to match the original navbar menu. You will also have to maintain this menu bar separately from the rest of the pages.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/27/2022, 3:12 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 11:12 AM

John, thanks for helping, that's exactly what I tried to do yesterday; that works on test sites using templates, but it screws up the links from the parent page in my setup. My parent Gallery page links to three sub Art pages by using animated images instead of the navigation bar, (at least that's what I want, I don't want the links on the Gallery or other Navbars on that upper level.) When I make the sub Art page bars a new copy and edit them like you showed the parent Gallery page no longer links to it through the linked images, even though they show in the link to page dialog. The three buttons in the Gallery page MouseOff trigger actions in the MouseOver so that when I hover over one the other two buttons grey out. It worked fine until I did the art page bar copy and replaced and edited their bars. I couldn't delete the original Art bars because it deleted the upper ones too, even though I have the Site Nave Bar unchecked, so I hid the old bar on those sub pages and locked them. I'll take a screen shot of that Gallery page and attach it so you can see what I have set up after I did this test. I think the problem is something to do with the effects I have set up with the MouseOver group?

I'm thinking that what I will have to do is set up the lower pages as sub domains so that they will each have their own index and own Navigation Bars if the Site Nav option isn't able to do this.

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:35 PM

John: I attached screen shots of the layers set up that works the way it is before trying to replace the nav bars on the art pages. The two screen shots show the blank work table with no hover, and hover over the 2d Art button. The layers shots show how this is set up when it works but I can't change the nav bars on the art pages to not show some of the upper pages I don't want and I can't change the upper page nav bars to not show the lower art pages that link from the buttons. I'll have to attach these one at a time.

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:36 PM

This shows a hover over the 2d Art button which populates the table with items and greys out the other two buttons and when clicked links to the 2d Art page.

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:36 PM

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:40 PM

This shows a hover over the 2d Art button which populates the table with items and greys out the other two buttons and when clicked links to the 2d Art page.

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:45 PM

I hope you can help with this... maybe it's something about the way I have the layers worked out? If I change the art page bars with edited copies I have to hide the original bar and lock it. If I delete the old bar it deletes it on the upper pages as well. But when I hide and disable it, the Gallery buttons no longer grey out or work showing desk top items populated. Something is wrong.

doane wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:49 PM

Here's the layer showing the Mouse Off section

doane wrote on 8/29/2022, 1:42 PM

I created a simplified site if anyone wants to try fixing this, it's self explanatory, but I can't upload the web file.

doane wrote on 8/29/2022, 1:44 PM

Also, on the simplified site I tried the duplicate nav bar, edit and hide/lock the original one and the site doesn't work right because I can't disable the shadow mouse on layer original bar files or disable them.

doane wrote on 8/31/2022, 1:20 PM

Not much help here, but thanks. I'm going to forget about trying to make the horizontal NavBars work. I can use NavBar buttons separately where I need them instead. Disappointed that the Site NavBar function doesn't seem to work properly.

johnebaker wrote on 9/1/2022, 2:27 AM

@doane

Hi

Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been pulling apart what you are trying to do and the best solution as you cannot get the navbar method I posted to work correctly, is to use independent links rather then a navbar on the Gallery page for the sub galleries.

I have also tested integrating a program I use ( jAlbum ), specifically for image and video galleries, however it requires a lot of work modifying the templates to match the rest of the site.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

doane wrote on 9/10/2022, 1:09 PM

I figured out what the problem is. Simply unchecking the SiteNavBar box does NOT allow you to change other bars if the bars are repeating> You have to rt clk and disable the repeating on all pages. Then edit the bars that you want to on the pages. But you have to edit each bar, or what was easier for me is edit one, copy it using ctrl+c then delete the others that you want the same and simply paste the one you copied into each page using ctrl+v

This was NOT at all clear in the instructions about the SiteNavBar box option, in fact, it doesn't work unless the repeating is disabled for the bars as well. I hope this is brought to the attention of someone up above.