Web Builder discontinued - how to change index page

Neil-Woodcock wrote on 1/18/2020, 11:54 AM

I have a domain ukulele.magix.net whose index page redirects users to my main /public web site. Here I uploadrd my main website using Web Designer.

The index page was initially developed and uploaded in Web Builder Free so uses Flash. Since the free WebBuilder will be discontinued I want to change that index page to be a simple HTML page which does not use Flash. However there is no way to FTP anything to that main ukulele.magix.net folder. Only free Web Builder does that and it uses flash and will be discontinued

How can I override the ukulele.magix.net main index page with a simple HTML page?

I tried raising a ticket with Magix but I don't think they understood the issue, or assumed I have a paid domain, I don't, I have a free one. However I think they implied the free domain would continue to be available.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/18/2020, 1:17 PM

@Neil-Woodcock

Hi

I would recommend the following:

1. Replicate the home page in Web Designer and export it as index.html.

2. Using FileZilla FTP connect to the website the FTP settings are:

FTP-Server (Host):           ftp.magix-online.com
    Login / username:            Your email address at MAGIX
    Password:                         Your chosen password

3. Backup the web site, ie download the entire website to your computer - it is good practice to keep backups of the complete site in addition to the published/exported Web Designer project.

4. Upload the new page to replace the old home page.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Neil-Woodcock wrote on 1/18/2020, 6:01 PM

thanks john. i understand all that. the issue is that you cannot ftp an index file for your main website if created in free Web Builder, eg ukulele.magix.net, you can only do it for /public, eg ukulele.magix.net/public.

johnebaker wrote on 1/19/2020, 3:21 AM

@Neil-Woodcock

Hi

. . . . the issue is that you cannot ftp an index file for your main website if created in free Web Builder, eg ukulele.magix.net, . . . .

In your magix-online account under 'Your homepage' is the root URL assigned to Website Maker - you actually may not see this and only have the /public folder as FTP?

I had both mine set to FTP and therefore have no Public folder visible in FileZilla.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/19/2020, 3:42 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Neil-Woodcock wrote on 1/19/2020, 10:41 AM

Thanks John, I figured it. Not in 'My Homepage' but in Domain & Email I simply had to transfer ukulele.magix.net from being assigned to Web Maker to assigned to FTP. That is all. Now typing ukulele.magix.net takes people direct to correct website!

Seems obvious now, but a simple hint in the original email from Magix would have helped! Anyway thanks for your help.

Neil

Jeffrey-Francis wrote on 1/19/2020, 10:37 PM

How can I upload my website to my new Xara Designer Pro X?

emmrecs wrote on 1/20/2020, 4:27 AM

@Jeffrey-Francis

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Please do not hijack another user's topic by posting a question which has nothing to do with the original question, but rather start a new thread with your question, ensuring you include as much detail as you can that could be relevant. At the moment what you have written is open to interpretation in various ways: "upload" suggests you are asking about web hosting, but mention of "Xara Design Pro X" suggests you want to be able to open an existing web site in that program.

So, much more info please!

In the meantime, this thread will be closed.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam