Web Browser Blocking

simon-bromilow wrote on 5/2/2018, 5:18 AM

Hi, Is there a way to block both firefox and chrome browsers from displaying my site so users are forced to use Edge or Internet Explorer. The page will have links to network folders which open fine with the stock browsers in file explorer but on firefox and chrome they open within the browser which i do not want. Thanks 🐍

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/2/2018, 6:24 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

Short answer to your question: No! Have you considered the effect on users of Chrome and/or Firefox who may have exceedingly good reasons why they will NOT use IE or Edge as their default browser? I know, speaking for myself, as a default Chrome user, if I attempted to visit a site which declared itself blocked to me because I will not use Edge or IE, I would ensure to never visit it again.

What is the specific objection you have to the fact that your network folders open within the Chrome or FF window, rather than file explorer browser?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

simon-bromilow wrote on 5/2/2018, 6:31 AM

The site runs on an internal network for employees. When they use chrome to access an excel document they download it. If using edge it opens it from source which is what i need

emmrecs wrote on 5/2/2018, 6:37 AM

Thank you for the additional information, especially that this is an internal, employees-only network.

Unfortunately, I suspect my answer is still the same and I know of no setting it might be possible for users of Chrome or FF to change which would alter the behaviour of those browsers. Hopefully, others with far more experience of using Xara Web Designer may have ideas to offer you. Which version of the program, by the way?

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

simon-bromilow wrote on 5/2/2018, 7:06 AM

I have the latest version. I believe version 9. For now i added a warning and some browser icons for supported browsers on a click to continue screen which they should read and a red cross on the other 2 browsers. It should be ok for now

simon-bromilow wrote on 5/2/2018, 7:08 AM

The internal site has a browser block on 1 of the other sites i will have a look at it more closely to see what code they used

johnebaker wrote on 5/2/2018, 12:06 PM

Hi

. . . . The internal site has a browser block on 1 of the other sites i will have a look at it more closely to see what code they used . . . .

The normal method of doing this is to use a script to detecting the browser type and version - if it is not IE or Edge then redirect to a page informing the user that they must use IE or Edge.

There are many script examples for doing this available on the Internet - search for browser detection. - many depend on server side scripting which must be supported.

AFAICS Web Designer does not have a browser detection widget, so you would have to insert the script in the page header - see this topic

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/2/2018, 12:06 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

simon-bromilow wrote on 5/2/2018, 12:49 PM

Thanks i will take a look