VSTi Volume Tracking vs Velocity Parameter

drewmo wrote on 3/11/2024, 4:52 PM

I'm using Samplitude Pro X6 and I've noticed that all VSti plugins are not created equal in how they treat the velocity parameter in midi files. To test this out, I created 10 midi tracks, and in each one coped the same midi file, with a 12 single notes, each lasting 4 beats and each separated by 4 beats. The notes start off with a velocity of 1 and then step up by 11 (eg 1,11,22,33.. up to 110, then finally 127). Using older 32 bit VSTi's (from Sam 3), such as the String Quartet, I can quite drastically shape the characteristic of how the velocity affects the instrument volume using the 3 'Dynamic Settings' controls (Dynamics, Dynamics Curve and MIDI Input Curve). With the Vita 64 bit VSTi's such as the Orchestra, there are no longer any midi controls to vary the response. Orchestra barely changes in output amplitude with velocity. The Vita choir has some initial volume sensitivity, but then flattens out. On the other hand, the 64 bit Vita Vibraphone has a linear relationship (quite possibly should be more like a log relationship though), though there is no way of altering it. Some instruments, such as vintage organs, perhaps validly have no touch sensitivity.

Anyway, my point is that this is a big problem for instrument volume tracking. Although I suspect I'm whistling in the wind for this, Samplitude might think about improving its VSTi's to include MIDI dynamic controls again, so that the user can set the response the way he likes it. Alternatively (and the words 'chance' and 'fat' spring to mind, not necessarily in that order), maybe these control do exist somewhere, and I just haven't been able to stumble across them. I'd be tempted to revert back to the 32 bit versions but for the processing overhead.

I've attached a screenshot showing some different instrument responses. The yellow highlighted ones are Vita VSTi's, the rest are third party. The last two in the sequence are 32 bit Vita String Quartet using different MIDI dynamic control settings. I'd be interested in other's views on this.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/12/2024, 7:50 AM

@drewmo You can right click on the Vita GUI controls and use MIDI learn to map them to certain MIDI CCs. Or you can use the CTRL + Click method to map GUI controls to an automation. Does this help you?

Additionally, usually all sample libraries differ in a way or another. Even professional sample library companies that record also their major products in the same hall have problems to make them sound similar.

drewmo wrote on 3/12/2024, 5:29 PM

Thanks SP, but I use the excellent Jam Origin VST plugin to convert guitar to midi on the fly when I am playing live, so using automation etc doesn't help. I need instruments with consistent velocity control characteristics. Here's another screenshot of how the 64Bit Vita volume track, or not, with the midi velocity parameter. Top is VITA Orchestra, virtually no change, middle is VITA Vibraphone, and the 3rd is the 64Bit VITA Grand Piano. This one really sucks, as the bottom 50-60% of the velocity controlled notes are so quiet as to be unusable in a live domain. The bottom is the 32Bit VITA Grand Piano, which I can adjust the velocity sensitivity.

My beef is that 32Bit VITA had this level of control, then someone thought it was a good idea to drop it off when it was converted to 64Bit. Not! I'd like to see it put back in.

SP. wrote on 3/12/2024, 9:06 PM

@drewmo Does it help if you enable the MIDI Velocity Dynamics for each track? There you can set the velocity range.

drewmo wrote on 3/12/2024, 10:35 PM

Hey SP, many thanks! I've not seen this midi dynamic before (... been using Samplitude for 20+ years!)! That is probably just what I'm looking for. Too late for me to try it tonight, but I'll give it a go tomorrow. Again, thanks for taking the time and making the suggestion :)