VST3 Sidechaining

anthony-james wrote on 5/7/2019, 7:30 AM

Has anyone tested if sidechaining between different tracks is supported with the implementation of vst3 support in Acid Pro8 and 9

Would really like to be able to use Fabfilter Pro-C2 and route audio to it for sidechain compression effects and I believe that vst3 has the capability to route between plugins / tracks independent of the DAW.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 5/7/2019, 9:40 AM

hi @anthony-james - Audio routing required for something like side chaining needs to happen at the host level, not the plugin level. Acid 8, 9, Next still do not offer the ability to route the output of an audio channel to another audio channel - which is what is required for most side chaining plugins, e.g FF Pro-C.

As mentioned in other posts on the forum there are ways to achieve side-chain-like results - https://www.magix.info/uk/forum/how-to-do-sidechaining-in-acid-is-it-possible--1222567/#ca1442934

Oddly, the eFX compressor shipping with AP8 actually has a side-chain switch, and allows toggling to external source, but throws an error when setting it to AP8. However, it does not throw an error in APN, so I'm really hoping that this means the groundwork for audio routing is in APN and we may finally see it in a later version! *fingers crossed*

anthony-james wrote on 5/7/2019, 2:36 PM

Gday Sheppo, Thanks for the quick reply... Appreciate the time and effort you put in to answering questions on the forum...

I haven't played with VST3 plug-ins but was under the impression that you could use the updated architecture of the VST3 standard to route audio between different plug-ins independent of the DAW. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

ACID PRO's lack of sidechaining and routing capabilities along with it's rather primitive MIDI editing features are the only things holding me back from using it as my primary DAW...

Other than that it is getting better with each version and stability is improving...

I have been using it recently to record Guitar tracks and prefer it over Ableton Live 10 for this task and it's lightning fast work flow.

Regards Anthony

sheppo wrote on 5/7/2019, 5:12 PM

You're welcome @anthony-james - glad to be of help.

And I totally get where you're coming from. Side Chaining and audio routing are top of my feature request list on the beta forum.. I'm waiting for it with every new release. It's not ideal to have to have to render out tracks and projects to other DAWs to be able to do this, I'd much rather do everything within Acid.

fingers crossed.

LooneyBinJim wrote on 11/28/2019, 6:26 PM

You can side chain using the efx.

I'm using Acid Pro v9 Magix Efx side chain feature routed to Bus A works fine

Former user wrote on 12/1/2019, 6:47 PM

Does it work in ACID Pro 8, now? That's what the OP is using, and the upgrade to ACID Pro 9 isn't really a huge value addition considering what it adds.

On the eve of 2020, this feels more like a bug than a restriction :-P

anthony-james wrote on 12/1/2019, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the update but I gave up on using Acid Pro as a serious DAW a long time ago...i still use it to record my guitar tracks as it is great for that one task.

I am using Ableton live v10.1 for sequencing and don't have any of the issues I was having in Acid Pro...it is stable, intuitive and works as advertised.

Former user wrote on 12/2/2019, 9:15 AM

Thanks for the update but I gave up on using Acid Pro as a serious DAW a long time ago...i still use it to record my guitar tracks as it is great for that one task.

I am using Ableton live v10.1 for sequencing and don't have any of the issues I was having in Acid Pro...it is stable, intuitive and works as advertised.

One can easily get Samplitude Pro X4 Suite on super sale and add in Reason 11 Intro, then move on.

ACID Pro is a DAW with narrow focus. If you are doing EDM and need more than just Loops, then chances are you are better served with Samplitude than ACID. Samplitude uses Loops very well, and is better for Mixing and Mastering than ACID Pro - while blowing it away for Audio Editing/Manipulation.

Reason 11 Intro adds a lot of the EDM tools it lacks into the package. The Reason Rack Extension VST3 was a complete gamechanger, and opens up a whole new ecosystem to users of other DAWs. Superior to ReWire in almost every way, so you only need the Intro SKU, unless you want some of their other stuff.

ACID Pro's tooling is too consumerist, and frankly the DAW is unfit for music production beyond arranging Loops, IMHO.

The only thing it has over Samplitude is the ability to easily create sections that can be arranged via drag and drop in a composition (Chorus, Verse, etc.). This can technically be done in Samplitude, but ACID Pro makes it a lot easier (other DAWs like Cubase and Studio One, etc. have adopted ACID's way of doing this via Arranger Tracks, etc.).