VPX Feedback Button - Features In Consideration/Planning - Comments

browj2 wrote on 9/24/2024, 12:44 PM

Hi,

In VPX16, there is a new button at the right of the top menu - Feedback. Clicking on this opens the following in the Media Pool MAGIX Hub:

You can expand these to see details:

The only feedback that you can give is clicking on the thumbs up button to like it.

To start a little differently, Magix came out with Magix Capture in VPX16 and MMS2025, a new interface and way to record video from a webcam, audio with a mic and the computer screen with no audio. There are problems - no Mono/Stereo option, the audio goes to MP3 instead of wave, and the audio recorded at 44.1 kHz instead of 48 kHz, including the audio with the video. Someone didn't understand that this is for a video editing program. I don't ever recall anyone asking for this thing and given the current difficulties being experienced by Magix, one has to wonder what on earth they were thinking.

Rather than committing scarce audio resources to fixing an excellent program like Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab 4 so that it works properly (startup error and ARA problems) and properly with VPX as the External Audio Editor, they chose to waste these resources on Capture.

How do you feel about Capture? Should the above problems be fixed? Or should SFACL4 be fixed instead?

For those who have never used Audio Cleaning Lab, it is an excellent tool for recording, cleaning and mastering audio and it has 1 feature that most video editors could use - spectral cleaning. It is the very much advanced version of Music Editor 3 and is supposed to work with VPX/MMS as the External Audio Editor.

On to the new things under consideration.

I'll bypass the Extension of the speech to text functionality. Other may want to comment on their usefulness.

1. AI Source material sorting - Incorrect recordings and faulty images:

The AI is supposed to help me recognize and sort out shaky, blurred and duplicate images in my source material.

I think that I can see shaky and blurred images myself without help. Duplicate images? What do they mean? Duplicate file names? I can't see the program going through everything on my hard drives, looking at each image, video, audio to see if there is more than one. I know that I have scanned some photos more than once, but I can't see VPX finding these duplicates with different filenames and sizes. BTW, finding duplicate files is a feature of Photo Manager.

Comments?

2. AI Source material sorting - Timeline

The AI should help me to sort my source material into a geographical and/or temporal sequence.

How, if there is no GPS information. BTW Photo Manager recognizes GPX info if in a photo and allows you to open the location in Google. I would like to see a way to extract GPS info from video files (GoPro), or at least get the starting point.

3. Mediapool

I would like more options in the Mediapool regarding my source material (sorting / categorization / full-screen use, material viewing and info, etc.)

Uumh, we have sorting, we can put the mediapool full-screen, we can preview the material, and we can get the info (properties). So, what is Categorization? Photo Manager does Categorization for images, video and audio files - you can tag the file with a person, place or thing and then get everything that to which a tag (category) has been applied. We used to have a link for Categorization with Photo Manager in MEP/VPX. Gone. If Magix upgraded Photo Manager to an appropriate name, like Media Manager, then I would understand doing this.

Is categorization the same as rating? VPX has a rating field in the Project Temp Folder - it doesn't work. You can't put in a rating and it doesn't take the rating that is in the EXIF of the file itself.

IN PLANNING

4. AI Source material sorting

The AI should help me sort my source material (images, videos, audio files).

???? This is what Photo Manager does, then you can import from there. You can rename files, folders, individually or by batch. Why not keep this with the program that does it best and just fix the link between VPX and Photo Manager?

5.  AI Source material sorting - facial recognition

I would like to see AI image recognition that makes it possible to identify objects, places, people and fonts within an image or video.

I have a digitized video of 8mm film from the 60's with an elderly lady walking along the street somewhere. She must have been important as my sister took a whole roll of film on her. My sister doesn't remember who she was. So, will AI be able to tell me who and where? I highly doubt it.

Do I need to know which font is showing somewhere in a video? If I did, there are tools to do this.

Photo Manager has facial recognition, meaning that it can recognize what is a face. You can train it to recognize who, more or less, and categorize the person. This is 10-year old AI technology and Magix has done nothing with it since.

For me, I don't see adding these things to VPX itself, but I do see them in a new, improved Media (Photo) Manager that works as an add-on to VPX as it was intended to be. Magix just never marketed it as such. Photo Manager has a database and categorization. You can add comments and rating and extract them along with other file information from the database and print or export to html that opens in Word or Excel.

I can't see creating a database with or for VPX to handle what Magix is talking about. VPX is not a media management program.

Anyway, that is just part of my case for revamping an excellent product, Photo Manager to Media Manager. If you haven't used it, you would be amazed at what it can do.

OTHER FEEDBACK ITEMS

Feel free to comment the above and the other items In Consideration, Planning and Development.

Add anything that you would like to see added to VPX. Where should scarce resources best be used?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Comments

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/24/2024, 4:40 PM

Hi,

Others: (1) Allows a copy of a selected clip or range thereof to be added to a new track, added below (or above) the selected clip's track and in the same vertical position, while maintaining the effects of that clip. Also, instead of a new track or it can be added to a track chosen in a popup window. (gain in editing speed)

(2) resample mode (a trick to create a kind of blur) very useful for videos where there is a lot of shaking. In the discontinued Vegas Movie Studio (version 17) this setting is found in the clip property (in the timeline) accessed via the popup menu. This really is a very satisfactory improvement in relation to those that exist in VPS16. (raises the standard of VPS compared to competitors)

Xara photo & graphic designer v17,v18 and v20(lifetime)

i7-8565U CPU & 1.80GHz / 16GB RAM / Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 /Windows 10 Pro 22H2 / PowerDirector 4 years v12,v13,v15 Vegas MS Platinum 3 years v15,v17 Magix Movie Studio Platinum 1 year v2023,v2024

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/24/2024, 4:43 PM

in time: this item (2) above enters as an item in the effects of vegas video stabilization

i7-8565U CPU & 1.80GHz / 16GB RAM / Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 /Windows 10 Pro 22H2 / PowerDirector 4 years v12,v13,v15 Vegas MS Platinum 3 years v15,v17 Magix Movie Studio Platinum 1 year v2023,v2024

browj2 wrote on 9/24/2024, 5:20 PM

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi Roberto,

For point 1, for one or more selected clips, when in single object mode, hold down Ctrl and drag to another track or to the right. This makes a copy. When you drag, as long as the magnet is on and you drag close to vertical on the screen, the objects will remain at the same place due to snapping. Everything is included - effects, transitions...

When you want to drag an object up or down a track or more without changing the position on the timeline, hold down Shift, then drag.

For a range, Edit in the top menu, Edit Range, copy - paste where you want. Effects are included in the copy.

For point 2, where there is a lot of shaking, there is VEGAS Video Stabilization and if you have it, Mercalli. Is what you mentioned different from Vegas stabilization? Is it in Vegas Pro 18 as I don't have Vegas Movie Studio 17, only 16.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/25/2024, 11:32 AM

Hi @browj2

I understand that the topic does not involve third-party plugins. It would be a new "native" option.
I'm sorry, because I didn't include something fundamental in item (1). In reality, it is not a simple copy of the selected object(s), because the process that I "wanted to include" involves rendering. To clarify: imagine that you have a selection clip where the "Speed ​​effect" that you used has reached the minimum (factor 0.25). If you simply copy it to a new track, it cannot be reduced any further. With a rendered clip, you can reduce it further from factor 1.0 to 0.25. That is exactly my intention to speed up this addition of a frame with a rendered object. (See, I don't know everything / I'm not an expert in VPS but I believe this option doesn't exist. (Later I'll post some videos here so you can evaluate it satisfactorily)
In item (2) I reinstalled my Vegas Movie Studio 15 version to reach a consensus with you. After adding a clip and only through the main menu, go to tools->video->media fx->Vegas Stabilize (exactly here in Vegas Movie Studio 17 the options are a little more evolved). But I believe that in your version 16 you can find it.

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/25/2024, 11:33 AM

Vegas Movie Studio (platinum)

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/25/2024, 11:47 AM

Again I will rectify item 1 following your suggestion, because I didn't know that you can "force" the factor input, typing for example "0.01" and it ends up accepting it even if you render it accepts this new clip size! (contrary to this if you simply slide it will show the minimum factor of 0.25)

browj2 wrote on 9/25/2024, 12:55 PM

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi Roberto,

No problem for suggesting third party effects.

For the speed effect, as you have found, you can type in a value. However, I almost always just use the Stretch Mode on the timeline and drag the end out to get the effect that I want. Stretching is the Speed Effect. Right-click on the button indicated below to see the various modes available.

Be sure to go back mouse mode for a single object after using this.

For your other point, Vegas Movie Stabilize, is this not the same as already in VPX? Note the parameters available.

John CB

John C.B.

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/26/2024, 11:21 AM

Hi,

See: VPX offers more features, although the "resample" feature is not offered.

In the image below shown in VMS17 for example, and also in VP22 the stabilization effect will work according to the resample configured in the timeline. For those looking for polished stabilization, it makes a difference.

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/26/2024, 11:23 AM

Below are the videos rendered with the image stabilization effect above.

no resample

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/26/2024, 11:23 AM

with resample

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/26/2024, 11:24 AM

together, the left "without" and the right "with"

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/26/2024, 11:32 AM

Vegas Pro 22 has expanded stabilization in 3 situations: basic, professional (similar to VPX) and expert (where among other items there is one of special interest for exploring a blur animation with threshold). Note that regardless of the effect, it offers resample which greatly expands for those looking for regularization for video shaking situations. That's where I consider that if VPX inserts a resample it will give native gain for this issue.

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 9/26/2024, 11:43 AM

I generated this one with VPX16, but without knowing that it could work with slow motion below the constant 0.25, I ended up using some ffmpeg resource. But logically, if you re-record a slow video, you can remove the "frozen" frames between one movement and another and produce a much better smoothing. But it's a lot of work manually!

CubeAce wrote on 9/26/2024, 6:50 PM

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi.

Surely to get smoother video because of a lack of frames it is more probable that a plugin like ProDad ReSpeeder is going to do a better job than an image stabilsing plugin who's job is not to generate extra frames as the video is stable from shaking and has little to go on.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4894

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Can-Dive wrote on 9/27/2024, 7:41 AM

@browj2,
Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I think it's great that Magix implemented this level of transparency indicating what they are considering for future enhancements, what is in the pipeline and finally what is being developed. Magix has earned a Gold star for this initiative and I personally applaud them! I suppose my only feedback would be; rather than a thumbs up button, a 1-5 star rating in terms of personal preference for each new feature. But if you really like a feature by all means give it a thumbs up!

John CB, you made some valid points regarding Magix Capture and Audio Cleaning Lab 4. Hopefully these issues will be addressed in future updates/versions but these two programs are not listed in this particular HUB list so I suspect they are not a priority. Unlike Magix Capture, Audio Cleaning Lab 4 is not included with VPX so I can understand why it would not be included in this particular list. In fact we are probably due for Audio Cleaning Lab 5.

While there are a number of interesting new or improved features listed as Considered, what is more interesting are the features in Planning and Development.

In Planning, it appears they are working on enhancing source media management similar to Photo manager. Rather than having a separate program, this feature will be incorporated within the software itself. The benefit is users will not need to buy a separate program to manage their media. VPX is part of a trinity; VPX, Movie Studio and Photostory. For a consumer, using Photostory, who is sorting through hundreds of photos to create a slideshow, I can see the benefit of this asset management system. Since Photostory is build on the same platform as VPX and Movie Studio, it's natural that the same feature will be available on the more advanced editors.

In Development we have; Modern track concept - better project overview (Feature)
For the clear display of video and audio tracks. The track order can be freely set for each project.

I don't believe this "better project overview" has anything to do with scene overview currently available since the description indicates track order rather than scene order. I'm not entirely sure what it means to be able to freely set the track order, but if it is what I think it is, I personally will be very happy and give it a thumbs up!    

The current track order starts at the top (track 1) and overlays are placed under this main track. The only other software that works this way is the now defunct Videostudio (which I have used for many years) All other video editors place the overlay tracks above the main track.

I realise and appreciate long term users of VPX and Movie Studio love the current track order and I recommend Movie Studio to Videostudio users looking for another editor because it is so similar that the learning curve is minimal. But if Magix wants to capture a wider market of users, they are going to have to offer the same track order used by all the other video editors in the market (similar to Vegas Pro). This what I think they mean regarding freely setting the track order. If these feature is developed, I'm sure it will be an "option" rather than a change to the current track order because Magix would not want to lose its long term loyal membership base.

I am surprised that even now, posts pop up on the forum from previous users of Vegas Movie Studio who have upgraded to Magix Movie Studio expressing their confusion regarding the software. Part of this confusion is the track order.

Now I may have misinterpreted this development so I would be interested to learn what others think this initiative is. Also, for those who own Move Studio 2025 and Photostory Deluxe 2025, I would be interested to know if the same Planning and Development initiatives apply to all three or are they different? It may be that this Development initiative only applies to VPX and not to the other two editors.  

browj2 wrote on 9/27/2024, 12:06 PM

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi Roberto,

So, your request is to fix up Vegas Video Stabilization to have resampling, similar to Vegas Pro, correct?

Note that many users here have Mercalli and don't use Vegas Video Stablization.

@Can-Dive

Hi,

First off, Magix has known about the bugs in SFACL4 since they released the program and has done nothing to fix them. The startup 101 error should have been fixed - not doing so has undoubtedly cost sales. Same for not having SFACL work properly with the video editors - lost opportunity. Magix is not planning on releasing another version.

Magix is not planning on releasing another version of Photo Manager. The reason that I pointed out the 5 items under Feedback is that much of what is shown is already in Photo Manager or is close to it. To do some of what is being suggested, a database is likely required. Photo Manager has a database.

Many years ago for VPX and MEP and more recently in PhotoStory, there were links between the video editors and Photo Manager.

From the PhotoStory Premium VR (2018) manual:

Manage...: This opens the database management program MAGIX Photo Manager. It creates and organizes the database, which can be easily accessed by MAGIX Photostory Deluxe. Note: If MAGIX Photo Manager isn't installed, a dialog will open where you can download the program. Following the download, you can install the program and open it here later.

From the VPX6 manual:

Data base: This button opens the program-spanning database view. Right clicking opens the database search. The database first has to be created using the supplied additional program, MAGIX Photo Manager.

In PM, you can categorize (tag) files and then click on a category to get all of those files. IIRC, this used to be in MEP long ago - just click on Category in MEP, the list of categories shows up, select the category and you have the files - images, videos, audio - in the Media Pool.

Geographical location was mentioned. In both PM and older MEP, selecting one or more photos that contained GPS info and then selecting Travel Route Animation - it would open to the location of the images and they would be used as points on the route. No longer happens with Travel Maps (TM is not in PM, but the old TRA is).

Unless you have worked with Photo Manager, it's hard to comprehend just how powerful and useful it is. I'll try to find some time to do up a video showing some of the features of PM and how it is supposed to work or could work with VPX/MMS.

My point is that rather than spending scarce resources trying to reinvent the wheel as per much of what I see on the Feedback list, just fix and upgrade the existing one, PM, and fix the interface with the video editing programs. It's as if the developers don't know what they actually have or had.

John CB

John C.B.

CubeAce wrote on 9/27/2024, 12:48 PM

@browj2

Hi John.

It's possible none of the original developers are there any more.

Last year I tried to get spares for my up and over garage door and contacted the manufacturer. They said no-one in the factory went back that far and had no idea if their spares would work or not. I ordered the parts I thought would fix it and they did fit and work. Working on the conclusion that garage doors do not evolve that much. I know software is different but the code may be buried that deep that the people there now wouldn't know how or where to look or possibly not possible to integrate or change. Nothing software wise seems to be built from the ground up any more. We still also have no news about the company itself other than the developers are still working as far as we know and some changes seem to be happening.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4894

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

johnebaker wrote on 9/27/2024, 2:46 PM

@Can-Dive, @browj2, @CubeAce, @Roberto-Goncalves

Hi everyone,

. . . . Modern track concept - better project overview (Feature)
For the clear display of video and audio tracks. The track order can be freely set for each project . . .

I do hope this is the ability to switch tracks up/down for users who come from the likes of Vegas and other video editors, and not a similar view as Resolve has, where the video and audio from the video clips timelines are grouped together ie in one pane are the video portion of the files on the timeline tracks, and in a separate pane below are the relevant audio streams from the video also on timeline tracks.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Can-Dive wrote on 9/28/2024, 9:02 AM

@johnebaker @browj2

I do hope this is the ability to switch tracks up/down for users who come from the likes of Vegas and other video editors, and not a similar view as Resolve...

John EB, I hope so too.

John CB, I actually considered purchasing Photo Manager due to its feature offering, but when I learned it was 32 bit and only valid up to Win10, I realised product development had stalled/stopped. While it appears the developers don't know what they have or had, I'm sure they considered the cost and effort to update Photo Manager versus "reinventing the wheel" and decided that it was easier and cheaper to reinvent the wheel. On the bright side, they are implementing Photo Manager's functionality within the system - so that is a good thing.

As for Audio Cleaning Lab, I did purchase SFACL4 and I do like the program very much. If Magix is not furthering development, it would be nice if they would at least fix these obvious errors.

My understanding is that Audio Cleaning Lab was rebranded Sound Forage Audio Cleaning Lab even though it is not built on this platform. As an upgrade path, I guess Magix wants us to move on to Sound Forage. But if I want Steinberg SpectraLayers, I will have to invest in SOUND FORGE Pro 18 Suite because the cheaper SOUND FORGE Pro 18 only offers the iZotope plugins but not SpectraLayers.

As an alternative, I could invest in Samplitude Pro X8 Suite which offers the same IZotope plugins plus SpectraLayers and comes with Sound Forage Pro 16 at a cheaper price than SOUND FORGE Pro 18 Suite which doesn't really make sense to me. Also I understand that Samplitude is the advanced editor to Music Maker. So it looks like you get audio cleaning and music creation all in one package!

So if the bugs are not fixed in SFACL4 and users want to move onto another sound system or upgrade, I think Samplitude Pro X8 suite is probably the better choice based on specs.

browj2 wrote on 9/28/2024, 10:28 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Quick partial answer as I have to run out.

Think outside the box, think light.

The answer to one of the points, about categorization has been answered in PhotoStory 2025. This is not close to what Photo Manager can do.

In the image, there are now up to 5 categories available. For any image/video in the media pool, you can assign it to a category and then quickly recall everything assigned to that category in the Media Pool list. The category names can be changed.

There is now a preview window, expanded part shown that contains some EXIF data of the file. The same information is also shown beside the image in the Media Pool when you scroll horizontally to the right as shown below.

I guess that we can expect to see this in VPX/MMS.

So, this is a very light version of what Photo Manager can do concerning categorization.

More later.

John CB

John C.B.

Can-Dive wrote on 9/28/2024, 4:58 PM

@browj2

Hi John CB,

Thanks for the update. It looks like they have already implemented some of the features in Photostory. I don't own Photostory (I have VPX16) but for those who do, it would be interesting to see the list of features planned and in development for Photostory since it is a little ahead of VPX/MMS.

browj2 wrote on 9/30/2024, 10:56 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Here is the full-screen Media Pool from PhotoStory 2025.

Here is the information under Feedback for "In consideration" and "In planning" for PhotoStory 2025.

In case you were wondering, PhotoStory is a somewhat stripped down version of Movie Studio - less tools, less tracks, no Mixer, cannot separate Video/Audio, and more. Emphasis is on photos. It does have 1 interesting feature, fx on the full screen view of the preview monitor. The fx shown are limited to the basic ones.

Of course a similar view is available in MMS/VPX, but all effects are available. Make the preview monitor full screen, right-click, Edit video effects.

SFACL

Yes, SFACL is the renamed Audio Cleaning Lab or actually the last version of it called "Audio & Music Lab Premium." It has always been the upgrade for Music Editor that comes with the video editors. In fact, it's mentioned in the PhotoStory 2025 manual under "Share" menu:

This option allows you to continue editing your project in another installed MAGIX program, e.g. the audio can be improved in MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab, or add audio to your movie from MAGIX Music Maker.

The default in the Project Settings is Music Editor 3 unless changed.

In PhotoStory, if you right-click on an audio file (not the audio of a video clip) you get the option "Edit Sound (External)" which opens whatever is listed in the Project Settings, except that SFACL4 does not open the file - same bug.

As an upgrade path, I guess Magix wants us to move on to Sound Forage.

One would think so, but that is not the case. As well, why go to SF rather than just using what is already there and should work? To explain, I have SF Pro 16. Change the external audio editor to this, and it doesn't work either. PhotoStory, VPX and MMS send the HDP file to the external audio editor. Sound Forge Pro and Audio Studio expect the wave file so they give the following error:

The only version of SF that works is SF Audio Studio 12.6. I raised this with Magix long ago.

So, Magix should fix SFACL4 to work with the video editors.

As for Samplitude, yes, only the Suite version works as the external audio editor. However, why should video editors have to pay for that when all they need is what is in SFACL4? Note that ACL is mostly a stripped down version of Samplitude cleaning & restoration Suite, but with added features that are very useful for those wanting to just record audio from cassettes, LP's, CDs, web, microphone, and do cleaning and mastering. Samplitude is a monster, SFACL is simple but powerful.

I started doing narration for my current tutorial using SFACL4. This is much better overall that doing it directly in VPX. Normalization to a % is available, the waveform adjusts to changes in the volume curve, VST3 plugins are available, and the Spectral Editor is available. For some reason, many of my recordings lately have a little glitch occasionally. I haven't figured why, but they are simple and quick to correct with Spectral Editing.

Photo Manager vs Proposed Features in VPX

I'll get back to this later. However, as I mentioned, most of the proposed features already exist in PM. The new Categorization in PhotoStory is definitely not in the same league as PM where I have about 50 categories - people, places, pets, etc. I wasn't able to figure out where Magix stores the categorization data for the 5 categories. Something like this is better in a database.

PM has a built-in viewer - small or open a second resizable viewer.

John CB

John C.B.

Can-Dive wrote on 10/2/2024, 1:19 AM

@browj2

Hi John CB, thanks for responding.

Feedback - Consideration and Planning List
Essentially the list from Photostory 2025 looks the same as for what I have in VPX16 which makes sense since they belong to the same family. Is there anything under Development for Photostory?

Full Screen Edit Feature
Thanks for pointing this out. This must be a new feature for VPX/MMS since I own MMS2024 and its not available in that version. I think this feature is a great addition but I noticed two issues;

1. For those effects that have the Apply Effect button, there is no way to reopen the effects list. Only those effects that open immediately have this capability.

2. If the last effect used was Brightness/Contrast and you open the full screen and open the effects, The Brightness/Contrast window is stuck and can not be moved. Selecting another effect does not correct this problem.

If these issues have already been reported in another post - my apology.

SFACL and other sound editors

You won't get any argument from me that the bugs in SFACL4 should be fixed but one can only hope since Magix's response to you is that this is now a legacy product.

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/new-update-is-available-for-samplitude-pro-x8-and-pro-x8-suite--1340950/

Its interesting that you mention SF Audio Studio 12.6 works with VPX16. I have Music Maker 2024 and this software is available as a free download. I wonder if SFAS12.6 can use the same VST's that came with SFACL4? Maybe that is a workaround?

SF Audio Studio is now up to version 17. I also wonder if that works with VPX16 like 12.6? I know you mentioned that SF Pro 16 doesn't work with VPX16 but maybe SF Audio Studio is configured slightly differently to the Pro version and does work? I don't know since I have not personally tested these Sound Forage variations with VPX16.

I did test Music Maker 2024 with VPX16 since I was able to point MM2024 to the SFACL4 VST's. It did open as an external audio editor but unfortunately it did not transfer the wav file to the Arranger. You have indicated that Samplitude works as expected but indicated that its probably overkill for most VPX users.

Again Photo Manager definitely looks like a legacy product being 32bit and only recommeded to be used up to Win10. I think the five categories in Photostory 2025 are really just to help users to sort through media for a particular project(s) and not something like the permanent 50 categories you created in Photo Manager. My previous video editor, Pinnacle Studio, did have a library database where one could create collections (folders) and sub-collections. Media could be allocated 1-5 stars, word tags could be attached to each object for future search and sorting plus comments added. I'm not aware of any other commercial video editor that went to that extent for media asset management.

As a suggested solution for you (maybe not optimal) in VPX you could create a full screen view of just the Project Temp Folder (PTF) and create folders and sub folders for your different categories. Then move your media into these categories. You could have one major project folder or a number of project folders with say 5-10 categories each. I'm not sure if there is a limit on the number of folders a PTF can have but something to look into. Maybe not a better solution than Photo Manager but it is a possible solution that is contained within the current system rather than a legacy product. Below is just an example what it would possibly look like.

browj2 wrote on 10/2/2024, 11:34 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Lots to cover.

PhotoStory - Feedback - under Development - like in MMS2025, nothing.

Full screen with fx: hmmm. I was sure that MEP had this feature. I guess not.

As for being able to go to other effects, I think that Magix misssed this as development progressed or its a bug. As you show, you can go to some of the effects, but the double chevron doesn't show up on some, like LAB Color or SPR, both of which were developed more recently. SPR used to be just SP and completely redone, as far as I know.

However, if you know at least the shortcut for Brightness, Alt+shift+H, you can get back to the list of effects.

2. If the last effect used was Brightness/Contrast and you open the full screen and open the effects, The Brightness/Contrast window is stuck and can not be moved. Selecting another effect does not correct this problem.

Looks like a bug to me. I never noticed this as I never use feature. I use 2 screens with the Media Pool on one and the Preview Monitor on the other, so the Media Pool is always available.

Here is another trick. You can get the Media Pool Effects to overlay the full-screen view by using a shortcut. So, Alt+Shift+H will open Brightness/Contrast and this window works properly - you can move it around. However, when you select another effect, the window closes and you have to right-click, Edit video effects to get the other window back with the selected effect. Strange.

SFACL and other sound editors

No, SF Audio Studio doesn't work as the external audio editor except for 12.6. I have SFAS16. As I mentioned, I took this up with Magix way back, and 12.6 was a special version that would open the HDP file.

Categories:

I think the five categories in Photostory 2025 are really just to help users to sort through media for a particular project(s) and not something like the permanent 50 categories you created in Photo Manager. 

In PhotoStory, Categories are not linked to a project. I can see a use for linking material that would be used often. Otherwise, their use would be temporary.

Your suggestion of using the PTF subfolders for categorization is interesting, but definitely not in the same realm as Photo Manager.

With PM, it's not just categories or adding comments, it's getting and using the information, and that is where the database comes in.

For example, I have comments in a folder that has scanned photos with the filename Reg-xxxx. I can get a listing of filenames and comments, save in an html file, open it in Excel, format, print and give to someone to correct the comments, and add comments where missing - like who is in the photo, where and when.

For some reason, I can't get the categories to work in the database print export feature. Bug or something. But, at least I can quickly get the listing of photos in a category, select what I want, and drag into the video editor - timeline or PTF.

Facial Recognition:

Just go through a folder. The program recognizes faces and tries to id each. Accept each and they are tagges to a category.

The idea is to go through the files outside of a video editing program to do this stuff, then use this information later to select the files for the editing program.

The same with Albums. Quickly create an album as you go through the files. Switch albums. These are just simple timeline files. Open the album in a project later on.

As for sorting, since the information is in the database, it can quickly be sorted. I can't see sorting files in VPX from hundreds of folders scattered around various hard drives as seems to be proposed by Magix. I would expect the sorting to be by folder.

Time to do yard work.

John CB

John C.B.