.vob File Import in PhotoStory 8

Geotix wrote on 6/8/2010, 4:30 PM
I have a DVD containing a .vob file made by converting a short clip (approx. 30 seconds) from a VHS videotape.  The file plays correctly on both a DVD player and my computer.  I copied the file to my computer hard drive, then imported it into an open project in Photostory 8.  The storyboard view indicates that the file was inserted, but the video is not displayed when I play the slideshow, not can  the video portion of the file be burned to DVD with the remainder of the project (the computer hangs when it reaches that file; otherwise project burns correctly).  How can I get this .vob to display and burn correctly?

Comments

john-auvil wrote on 6/9/2010, 9:16 AM
I am not sure that the PhotoStory program can use .vob files, that might require a video editor to put the .vob into a .mpeg format.

I looked online for system specs, but I could not find PhotoStory 8, the accuracy of the information below could be off as it is for PhotoStory 9

Video: Imports MOV; imports/exports AVI, WMV 9, MPEG-1&2*, etc.; import and export MPEG-4* videos.

*MPEG-2 codec can be used immediately after free activation. MPEG-4 codec only after a fee-based activation

I would recommend converting the .vob file to mpeg-2, then loading it into the PhotoStory program.
Geotix wrote on 6/10/2010, 6:43 PM
As you suggested, I tried converting the .vob file to an MPEG-2 format, and importing the file to PhotoStory.  The .mpg file displayed and burned correctly.  It does appear that the program will not support .vob files.  Thanks for the terrific advice!